LegacyGT.com

loosing oil inexplicably

My car is loosing oil to the point that few hundred to 1k prior to oil change the dipstick is completely dry. like bone dry. dealer did some oil test and told e to return in 1200 miles. 1200 miles later, same deal and come to think of it, its been happening since about 30k (@ 48k now). i'm due for an oil change in the next few days and as of yesterday it was just above the lower limit. dealer added 2 qts 1k ago!!! this engine was part of the "recall" and was replaced at 4,700 miles. its not dropping it on the floor, no froth on cap from what dealer told me so i'm scratching my head. thoughts? (AP, that's all, i know someone will ask.)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 05 uses about that much oil per 3400 miles of driving. I check my oil every 1000 miles of driving and top off accordingly. I'm un-familiar with subaru's oil consumption policies under warranty (if you still are). When I worked at VW i know for a fact the owners manual charged the customer with topping off all fluids between oil change intervals.

If they told you to come back 1200 miles later they did an oil consumption test. Drain the motor completely of oil. Weigh the oil in grams prior to pouring it in. You drive 1200 miles return they drain the oil completely and then re measure compare the differences, do some maths and bam... exact x qts /1200 miles measurement. Then if it's at a point where they can replace something under warranty it gets replaced, if its not may offer for you to pay for a repair, or just tell you to monitor your oil levels between intervals.

Remember it's a turbo, turbos eat oil. Check your oil levels regularly and top off with choice synthetic as needed. I suggest trying a 5w40 weight.

If it's not dripping on the ground, then it's burning the oil. The oil can be getting into the engine in more than 1 way: turbo seals leaking, valve guides worn, or blow by from the rings. I've seen bad PVC valves cause excessive oil consumption too.

Pull a spark plug and check it for evidence of oil burning. At that rate oil consumption, the car should be blowing a blue cloud either under acceleration or when you lift.

Hi Guys,

My car has started to loose oil at an incredible rate as well (1 qt per 1,000 miles). It has 90k miles. Use synthetic oil 10-30. No blue smoke.

I hear a loud rattling in the right valves. Mechanic said it was the hydraulic lash adjusters that was worn.

Could this be the cause of the oil loss?

Well If the results are only moderatly bad, they mite ship it and say it's with in tolerance. You obviously have an issue, so i hope the results are to the point where they take action to resolve the issue instead of sending you on your way...

hey i was also going thru about a quart every 700 mi. or so ....switched to the rotella t6 5w40 and installed the grimmspeed aos system. now i barely lose anything!! oh and also replaced the pcv ..im now at 60k. and bought it at 30k....thought maybe that would help?

• 3 weeks later...
I have over 100k on my LGT and it was leaking a bit of oil due to the O-Ring on the Oil Cooler. Fixed that and no more leaks. Oil level hasn't changed from Full in over 3000 miles. :) I'd suggest you pull off the splash guard and check for leaks near the filter and around the valve covers.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived