LegacyGT.com

Huge thanks to subaru - please read!!!

Synopsis

I have a 2009 Spec.B with 3500 miles. I was running my 3rd track day of the season and on the 5th lap my motor blew (#4 rod bearing spun out). Trailered the car to Heuberger Motors in Colorado Springs to have them look at it. I picked it up last night (3 1/2 weeks later) with a brand new motor that they replaced for free under warranty!!!

Ok, now that you've gotten the quick version here is the longer version of what happened. As I said this was the 3rd day I've run the car at the track this season, the pervious 2 days were fantastic. I really love the car on the track, its very balanced, the handling is very flat and neutral and the power is perfect. Last season I drove a 2007 350z and in almost every way I like my leggy better. Here is my current list of mods if you're curious.

I was driving an event with the Rocky Mountain BMW club. It was a 2 day event (Sat/Sun) and I went down on Friday to get some laps in at an open lapping day. She was great on Friday (got 4 sessions in) and I had a great time. In the first session Saturday morning with the BMW club, on the 5th lap I was coming out of a corner (turn 4) and when I got on the gas I noticed that I was down on power. I could also hear a slight clicking sound (it was very hard to hear with my helmet on and my instructors headset in my ear). He could hear it too but we couldn't tell what it was, we thought maybe it was the letters that were taped to my windows flapping in the wind. To be clear I never missed a shift, never over rev'ed it, nothing "big" happened (no BANG my motor just blew). I came out of the corner and noticed it didn't "feel" right. I continued to run hard for a few corners until I really could tell something was wrong. I backed off and we pulled into the pit and instantly the car stalled. We let it sit for a few minutes to cool a bit and when I fired it back up clearly something was VERY wrong. There was a huge metallic knock, clearly metal to metal grinding was happening and the motor was about to shake out of the engine bay. I quickly turned it off and a group of us pushed it up onto a flatbed trailer. A friend and I towed it to Heuberger Motors in the Springs (close to the track and the dealer I purchased it from). I left it with them to be diagnosed assuming I'd blown a valve and the piston was smacking it. I also assumed that since I'd modded it that they wouldn't cover it under warranty. Needless to say it wasn't a good day.

Skipping ahead about a week I get a call that the problem is the #4 rod bearing had spun out and the oil pan was "full of pieces" from it. There were also metal flakes all throughout the motor and it would have to be replaced. The thinking is that the oil system failed in some way and I had oil cavitation in that cylinder causing metal to metal rubbing. The voicemail they left me said they had ordered the new motor but weren't sure how long it would take to arrive. I called them back, scared to death at what this was going to cost me only to find out it was going to be FULLY COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. ...hell I just got chills typing that...

After confirming with them that it would be covered under warranty I thanked them extensively. They easily could have said "you modded it, no warranty" even though clearly none of my mods affected the oil system. In short they did the right thing even though we were talking about a $7k and up repair job. WOW. JUST WOW.

I got the call Tuesday morning that it was ready to be picked up and that the service manager wanted to drive it home and around town a bit just to test it out. Of course I was fine with that (as I'm an hour and a half away and don't want to have to take it back). Everything checked out just great so I picked it up late last night. I haven't had much time with it yet, just drove home (which was over 100 miles). Obviously I wasn't hard on her at all as I've got to break the new motor in but so far she drives just great, just as it should.

I'm supposed to talk to the service manager today to learn a lot more about what happened, why, and what I can to do make sure it doesn't happen again. It looks like I just got a bad motor but I need to be sure given I plan to do about 1000 track miles a year. But I'll save that for another thread...

I can not tell you all enough how thrilled I am with Subaru right now. While I am totally the guy that would blow his motor at the track I'm not the guy that would have the good luck to have it covered. They have just built an amazing amount of brand loyalty with me.

THANK YOU SUBARU!! THANK YOU!

-Ross

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big deal. Normal for 2009 SpecB, most blew up anyway within few first thousands miles. Tracked or not. Good you tracked it perhaps to make it happen sooner than later. Later on, the whole motor assemblies may no longer be available, given the production of this model ended.

The frakking dealer and Subaru better fix something like this without even asking questions.

Hey Uncle, why the hate?

I just finally found a good/great dealer myself and am over-joyed. Good for Ross, I am sure he will support Heuberger in the future. It took me over 5 years to get a problem fixed, good for him.

I own a older GT wagon, not feeling the 2010 love yet, not happy with the way SOA is heading overall, but man lighten up.

Flame away.......

Peace,

Greg

I've been away from the forum here for a while, but I haven't heard of problems with Spec B's blowing up. Don't they have the same exact engine as the regular GT's?

It seems like only or mostly 09 SpecB were affected (in addition to 09 WRX) - there have been flood of 09 SpecB spun bearing failure reports. If you search you'll find like 10 alone on the forum. This is related to the stop sale they had earlier this year - they used crappy and/or contaminated bearings or something on a batch of engines. Since 09 Legacy and 09 WRX share the same longblock it happened on both.

Hey Uncle, why the hate?

Because Subaru's dealer service sucks big balls and Subaru tries to weasel out from legitimate warranty work at all costs.

I just finally found a good/great dealer myself and am over-joyed.

As they say don't praise a day before sunset. And hope you'll never have to test them with a real issue.

No, many LGT's blew up as well. My '09 did when it had 4k miles on it. Evidently, they had changed something from 08 to 09 that was defective. It was basically the first time I had really redlined it. I was about to push a later model transam off the road in first and second when she went. Exact same problem. They replaced the motor. (small block).

that or you could of taken all that stuff off and replaced it with original parts ..

the dealer in montreal would not change a shock on my friends 04 wrx because it had a cold air intake ..

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Because Subaru's dealer service sucks big balls and Subaru tries to weasel out from legitimate warranty work at all costs.

As they say don't praise a day before sunset. And hope you'll never have to test them with a real issue.

Regardless, the car was modified and track driven. They could have told him to pound sand.

as for the poor subaru service.. I'll have to argue to the opposite... my mom bought an '09 Forester that started getting paint chips on the rear fender wells... subaru initially cited it was from gravel being spun up when they saw the pics, but the dealer insisted the rep come look in person, as soon as he did, they set the car up for a rear respray. This was mid winter, and the dealer said to just wait til spring, as it would be dumb to paint it then drive it through the salt and cinders for 3 months.... come spring there was some more chipping on the under panels on the doors, so they ended up painting the whole sides of the car... no questions asked. Obviously there was something with her paint, but they could have easily said, hey you live in the country and drive on gravel roads, tough luck..

On the other hand, I had an '03 Jeep Wrangler that broke a rear half axle, I took it to an independent shop and the guy said this should not have happened to a new Jeep, and told me to take it to the dealer for warranty work (honest guy imo, gave up his shot at the sale) and chrysler argued and denied the claim.....

I am quite happy with Subaru and my past 3 years of dealing with them. Of course you are going to get bad reps in different areas, but that's every car dealer....

Glad to hear ANOTHER good dealer experience about a Subie.... of course your gonna see more negative than bad on here... people are much more likely to complain than compliment

I have been testing for 5 years, finally found one that is honest. Four new pistons and two new HG's. And I only had most of the reciepts not 100% of them. Believe me, I was ready to move on myself. I agree dealer service is poor overall, that is why it is so important to pass on info about the good ones. If I buy another Subbie I will go back to that dealer and work with them to get the ride I want, whether they have it in stock or not.

Peace,

Greg

Feder's Subaru in Middletown, NY had been very helpful with piston slap issues in my BE. (Not purchased from them and since, a new service mgr).

When I totalled my BE, I went to them for my BL.

O.

man that awesome 9that it worked out this way). most stories of dealing with stealerships arent pleasant ones. glad youre hooked back up and things worked out the way they should (we all wish they would).

If it makes anyone feel better, one of my brethren over on the Boxster board recently blew the engine (a common problem) on his '05 at only 26K miles and barely out of warranty. Porsche will only give him $5K toward an $18K replacement motor. He's taking it to the news media and possibly to a lawyer.

I do find it funny that the Porsche community calls the Boxster's CEL the "Change Engine Light" because they're just that common. One of the magazines mentioned that the dealership receives the new longblock pre-filled with oil and ready to go.

BTW, what's so special about their engine that makes it cost $18k? The brand name?

OP: If you plan on tracking it that much, you need a few simple upgrades.

Cosworth Oil Pan baffle

Oil Pressure Gauge with alarm

Upgraded oil pump would be a good idea too

If you're really getting alot of track time, I would even suggest a dry sump conversion or at the very least a larger capacity oil pan.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived