LegacyGT.com

Unknown switch next to parking brake

I just bought a '98 Legacy L wagon. There is a unmarked switch on the center console, right to the left of the E/parking brake handle. Not knowing what it is or does, I looked through the owners manual and the closest thing I could find of what it may be or do was for the rear window defroster. I'm pretty sure this is not correct, being that button/switch is next to the cruise control on the dashboard, to the right of the steering wheel. So does anyone know or have any better ideas as to what this switch next to the parking brake is for?

I can post a picture of it and its location if needed.

Thanks.

The switch on the dash, next to the cruise control is for the rear window defroster.

There are only three switches in the area you mention. You should have four possible slots. One of them will never be anything other than a coin holder. Two of them are for the switches for the driver's and passenger's heated seats. The fourth (likely the one you have) SHOULD be for the heated wipers (there is a heated strip that runs across the base of the windshield where the wipers sit when they are parked.)

However, I was under the impression that the heated wipers only came with the cold weather package, which also came with heated mirrors (that button should be next to the mirror adjustment hat to the left of the steering column) AND the heated seats. Not sure how you could have one without the other unless that was actually possible, or someone added something later on.

The switch for the heated wipers should be a momentary rocker switch - toggle it once to turn them on, and once again to turn them off. It shouldn't be unmarked, and a separate orange light should illuminate on the switch when it is toggled on.

In my quick Googling, I found this image. This one only has the heated seat switches. The toggle switch would be in a third slot, and I have posted a picture of that switch as well.

http://ivwarrior.singerscents.com/powersocket/step1.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SUBARU-LEGACY-96-97-98-99-HEATED-WINDSHIELD-SWITCH-/04/!B(06G-w!mk~$(KGrHgoH-CgEjlLl1Ej9BKeSEO5nJw~~_35.JPG

You could try removing the panel and seeing if there are any wires attached, and try tracing them. All you need to do to remove the panel is unscrew the two screws under the center armrest that are visible when you flip it open. Then it should just pop off (it slots into the next trim piece around the shifter.)

Right, like you are removing the center console so you can remove the radio bezel on the front console. However, it's 9 degrees outside! so I think I'll do that another time. Thanks If its not connected to anything, maybe i should connect it to something. I'll think about that till I go to remove and check it.

thanks!

It's connected to a remotely-activated set of vibrating ben-wah balls the PO's GF wears. Somewhere, the cheeks flush and a hint of a smile cracks across the face of a lesbian every time you flick that switch.

I didn't say the PO had to be a man. . .

• 2 weeks later...
Don't be reasonable.

The governments ninja alien assassins watch my every move. I have to be careful what I say.

Fine. It turns on the flux capacitor (remember, you have to be going 88 mph for it to work), or maybe it turns the car into a hover car. Push it and see.

Archived