LegacyGT.com

Considering new 2011 WRX Limited 5-door

Looking at possibly trading in my 2007 5EAT on a 2011 WRX Limited Widebody 5-door. Love the looks of the new Rex, would love a little more power stock (not a huge modder), and a few other niceties that I don't enjoy now (HIDs, bluetooth, hatch utility), as well as the fun of a 5 speed.

Has anyone driven one yet? I know the argument used to be that the Legacy was more refined, but the 2010+ LGT doesn't really appeal to me, and with the "Limited" trim model it seems like most of the luxury features available in the Legacy are now also in the WRX.

Obviously this board may be a bit biased, but I know at heart we're all Subaru fans and many of you have owned WRXs previously.

Thanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd get an STi hatch, but I doubt I'd get a WRX.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I actually drove one of these about 3 weeks ago. I loved the look of the exterior the interior didn't make me as happy, but I still liked it. I personally really like the look of the 2011 WRX, its looks a lot better than the 2010. The drive didn't really impress me though, I felt my legacy was a lot faster and smoother of a ride.

Still a very cool car, but I would much rather stick to my leggy.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/3176/imgp21462.jpg

Picked mine up a few days ago, 3 or so I believe. Absolutely love it. A huge upgrade from my old 5eat lgt. It's not fully broken in, but from 1-4k rpms, it pulls waaayy harder than my Legacy. I was just cruising down this one backroad that I like to "open up" on in my new WRX, I looked at the speedo and it was a number that my LGT had to push at WOT and redline to get, I took the turn into this straight pretty quick in the WRX, but from there didn't downshift, held the gas down, but not WOT and shifted at 3500 or 4000, it was crazy. It is very fast, suspension is improved as well. The stock headlights are bad (nothing hids can't fix) and the sound system doesn't go too loud, but the bluetooth is sick. I agree in a sense that the car doesn't feel as fast, but it definately is. When I had my Stg 2 LGT, it was very quick, and felt quick thanks to the lowering springs, loud exhaust, and somewhat harsher ride. This car, on the other hand puts out more performance than a stg 2 lgt 5eat (don't know bout the 5mt) and it does it way quieter. Accessport is coming out soon for them, as long as my dealer can't tell, I might just pick one up. Kind of wish the clutch didn't catch like 70-80% up the pedal, makes it harder to drive smooth, but I think that's something I'll get used to.

there was a review I read somewhere that said the regular WRX was a hair faster than the STI, namely because the STI's SI drive (or whatever the author said) seemed poorly tuned for an STI, whereas the WRX was all power all the time.

I think there are some things you give up going to the WRX, the biggest one I notice is the Interior quality. The WRX interior looks nice but it is very plasticky. The Legacy is soft touch stuff on the dash, upper doors etc and it feels much nicer.

If you can get over that, you are all set!

hows the back leg room in those? My friends 05 sti and now 04 wrx wagon was/is kinda cramped and my 05 legacy has a lot more room than that

I think that is the other biggie you give up from Legacy to WRX. The back seat is tight in the Impreza.

there was a review I read somewhere that said the regular WRX was a hair faster than the STI, namely because the STI's SI drive (or whatever the author said) seemed poorly tuned for an STI, whereas the WRX was all power all the time.

The WRX is faster in 0-60 due to 5 vs. 6 speed, the STI needs a shift to 3rd to get to 60. I think otherwise the STI is faster. Subaru has changed the stock tune on the WRX every year since 08, the '09 obviously for the VF52, then in '10 the tune got a bit more aggressive, and for '11 changed again presumably for emissions(more stoich under boost!) as there is less power down low but peak boost is a little higher to make up for that. Of course once you go Stage 1 map or whatever it evens out.

hows the back leg room in those? My friends 05 sti and now 04 wrx wagon was/is kinda cramped and my 05 legacy has a lot more room than that

Apples and oranges comparing different generations. 02-07 Impreza had 88 cubic feet of interior space and 99 inch wheelbase versus 94 cubic feet interior space and a 104 inch wheelbase for 08+ Impreza. The 08+ Impreza wheelbase is only an inch shorter than the 05-09 BL/BP Legacy and it actually has 1 cubic feet more interior space than a BL sedan and about 3 cubic feet less than a BP wagon. Not surprising given the only one inch difference in wheelbase between the current Impreza and the BL/BP Legacy.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/3176/imgp21462.jpg

Picked mine up a few days ago, 3 or so I believe. Absolutely love it. A huge upgrade from my old 5eat lgt. It's not fully broken in, but from 1-4k rpms, it pulls waaayy harder than my Legacy. I was just cruising down this one backroad that I like to "open up" on in my new WRX, I looked at the speedo and it was a number that my LGT had to push at WOT and redline to get, I took the turn into this straight pretty quick in the WRX, but from there didn't downshift, held the gas down, but not WOT and shifted at 3500 or 4000, it was crazy. It is very fast, suspension is improved as well. The stock headlights are bad (nothing hids can't fix) and the sound system doesn't go too loud, but the bluetooth is sick. I agree in a sense that the car doesn't feel as fast, but it definately is. When I had my Stg 2 LGT, it was very quick, and felt quick thanks to the lowering springs, loud exhaust, and somewhat harsher ride. This car, on the other hand puts out more performance than a stg 2 lgt 5eat (don't know bout the 5mt) and it does it way quieter. Accessport is coming out soon for them, as long as my dealer can't tell, I might just pick one up. Kind of wish the clutch didn't catch like 70-80% up the pedal, makes it harder to drive smooth, but I think that's something I'll get used to.

Very nice, is yours a limited? How do you like interior quality / fit and finish?

before i got my 08 specB i checked out 09 wrx (i know its not comparable to 2011) the interior was a bit small and too plasticy, the power was great and also the suspension for the short test drive. i really wanted STi but $$$ of course. im happy im still in subie family with my specB. imo lgt is great DD and WRX very fun car dont know about DD in traffic cuz u wanna unleash the beast but can.

Very nice, is yours a limited? How do you like interior quality / fit and finish?

It's actually base. Quality is very nice for Subaru in my opinion. Sound system can be a little better, and I wish seat heaters came standard. There are cup holders in the door which is actually really convenient. The car is sooooo comfortable, the seats bolster you very well and even the cloth looks very nice and has an expensive look to it. The car is very smooth even when you're pushing it, so sometimes I drive it and think "this isn't much faster than my Legacy was" until I look down at the speedometer lol. Overall I like the interior better than the Legacy, but comparing a 2005 with 75000 on it to a 2011 with 75 miles on it is sort of unfair.

comparing to my brother's 09 wrx, i like my legacy interior better. everything just feels nicer, and i just have a 2.5i. the wrx does pull hard though. and i think the wrx has more room in the back seat. in the legacy, three people in the back is pretty tight; in the wrx its more bearable. also the seats are softer in the wrx. on long road trips people in the backseat usually complain about it being to hard when riding in my legacy.

It's actually base. Quality is very nice for Subaru in my opinion. Sound system can be a little better, and I wish seat heaters came standard. There are cup holders in the door which is actually really convenient. The car is sooooo comfortable, the seats bolster you very well and even the cloth looks very nice and has an expensive look to it. The car is very smooth even when you're pushing it, so sometimes I drive it and think "this isn't much faster than my Legacy was" until I look down at the speedometer lol. Overall I like the interior better than the Legacy, but comparing a 2005 with 75000 on it to a 2011 with 75 miles on it is sort of unfair.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. My dealer just got a limited in so I guess the best thing for me to do is go check it out!

i like. especially in the new navy color.

edit*** just went to build one and i guess thats an STI only color.....oops

Yeah I like it alot too, and I like the STI, but the value proposition just isn't there for me as someone who is not going to track the car.

if I had to buy a new car today to replace the LGT, I think it would be a 2011 WRX.

Likewise for me. There's nothing on the market remotely similar to my '05 LGT Limited 5MT wagon. The closest would be a '11 WRX Limited 5-door and that's what I'd pick.

If you are going to buy a WRX or STi, just be prepared to be judged as "one of those" by a lot of people. If you don't care...then power to ya.

Not really sure what this means, is there a problem with owning an WRX or an STI? What is one of those mean? Who are the people that do the judging, I sure hope its not any other Subaru owners

Not really sure what this means, is there a problem with owning an WRX or an STI? What is one of those mean? Who are the people that do the judging, I sure hope its not any other Subaru owners

In general terms, WRX/Sti owners (newer STi and WRX wide body models included) tend to be associated with the 'street racer' crowd. I don't think this isn't known or new to anyone, but I point it out anyway. It may affect certain conceptions of people that will affect you. Neighbors, business partners, co-workers, etc. Yeah, they are the a-holes for judging, but it's a fact of life. It was also meant to be a kinda lighthearted comment, but there is seriousness behind it too.

Archived