LegacyGT.com

Snow Tire/Rim Suggestions

I have a 07' 2.5i SE Legacy. Looking to pick up some snow tires, as my all seasons are not cutting it in the snowy NE. Looking for suggestions in regards to a decent set of snow tires for those on a budget. In regards to rims I'm still on the fence. I'm not sure if it would be better to buy a cheap set of steal rims to keep the snow tires mounted on, or if it would be better to just pay and have the tires mounted to stock rims every winter. Suggestions are appreciated.

i would mount snow tires on your stock wheels, then save up so come summer you can buy a new set of wheels/rubber. after 3 or 4 seasons having them mounted back and forth will not only get annoying, but you'll end up spending what you would to just buy dedicated sets for summer/winter.

i run altimax arctic, and while not the cheapest (was around $600 when all said and done), they're amazing in the snow. but any set of dedicated snow rubber will be 20x better than all seasons.

i can put anything i want down here?!

i would mount snow tires on your stock wheels, then save up so come summer you can buy a new set of wheels/rubber. after 3 or 4 seasons having them mounted back and forth will not only get annoying, but you'll end up spending what you would to just buy dedicated sets for summer/winter.

i run altimax arctic, and while not the cheapest (was around $600 when all said and done), they're amazing in the snow. but any set of dedicated snow rubber will be 20x better than all seasons.

Thanks for the info. I've seen some snow tires with the channel down the middle to shunt away the wet stuff. Do these perform better than regular snow tires?

Tire rack sells 16" and 17" steel wheels, but they are out of stock until 2/14 and 2/28 respectively.

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterWheels.jsp?skipTires=true

You could also just buy a used set of 16" or 17" wheels from just about any other Subaru, as long as they are 5x100 and 6.5" or 7" wide.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Can't go wrong with Nokian Hakkapeliita 5/7

Or on a budget, I really like my Gislaved Nord Forst 5. I had them on my impreza and I have them as well on my LGT and I never got stuck anywhere, even when burried under 2 foot of snow in Canadian winter ;)

I run Altimax as well and have been impressed. I decided to buy a set of steelies, not to save money but to save my good wheels. If you buy from town fair tire (do they have those by you) they will do free snow tire changeover so there's no expense going between summer and winter tires on your stock wheels.

I also purchased a dedicated set of tires/wheels for summer and had winter tires mounted onto the stock rims. My choice of tire is the Continental ExtremeWinterContact. I drove through the snow without a problem in NYC during the past few snowstorms. Braking and acceleration were excellent.

Archived