LegacyGT.com

Anyone tried the whiteline comp c mounts?

rexster

These look like they could be a good option to get some more caster and camber and a more sold mount as well. I'm hoping they will work with bilstiens without raising the front...

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspension-handling-stiffening/162922-new-whiteline-com-c-upper-strut-mounts.html

After closer inspection it looks like they probably don't make them for the bl/bp. The pdf from global performance says 1989-2007 Liberty/Legacy but the product page doesn't list the bl/bp...

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=KCA335&page=2

???

G'day everyone,

Just thought I'd pop in quickly and answer the questions.

rexster, the KCA335 is designed around stock fitment dimensions so it should work with anything that the stock mounts work with. As for raising the front, just need to be mindful that any new replacement strut top will have the affect of raising the height when compared with a "used" or sagged original mount but this should be minimal unless the original is totally shagged.

The Whiteline solution does however use a heavier durometer rubber (some have compared with the Group N) than stock to sharpen things a little. This also helps with a tighter integration between static and dynamic alignment settings, particularly useful when adding extra camber or positive caster and making sure it stays there.

As for fitting BL/BP series let me check with the development guys and come back to you.

naimouasta, not sure I understand the question about "top hat style". Let me know and I'll try to answer.

Cheers

Whiteline Jim

PS. The actual dimension change and tech details are quoted here http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=KCA335&page=1

After closer inspection it looks like they probably don't make them for the bl/bp. The pdf from global performance says 1989-2007 Liberty/Legacy but the product page doesn't list the bl/bp...

first time i saw these was on fredbeans website. it was listed for the BL/BP also. maybe these might work? i think jdm and other market BL/BP's use the bilstein's which is maybe why its not listed in the product page. so unless you have a specb, these should work? just a guess, hope we can get confirmation soon.

G’day everyone,

Sorry for delay in getting back to you but unfortunately its not good news. The PCD for the BL and BP is different to the earlier version and is part of the changeover to a revised platform overall as seen by the MY08 Impreza.

As for top hat style with other brand shocks, its very rare that these options involve changes to actual stock mounts as its easier to adapt the optional component to the stock mounting. That is, another brand shock mount is more than likely going to still fit the stock strut body mount and vice versa.

Am now putting the squeeze on the development guys as to when we might see a solution for the BL\BP. ;)

Cheers

Whiteline Jim

www.whiteline.com.au

Keep us informed on any updates. I've been looking for ways to increase the negative camber without swapping to full camber plates (NVH from the roads I drive on from home to work would drive me insane and probably shake the car apart) or using aftermarket camber bolts (which I have installed but plan on swapping back to the OEM bolts).

G’day everyone,

Sorry for delay in getting back to you but unfortunately its not good news. The PCD for the BL and BP is different to the earlier version and is part of the changeover to a revised platform overall as seen by the MY08 Impreza.

As for top hat style with other brand shocks, its very rare that these options involve changes to actual stock mounts as its easier to adapt the optional component to the stock mounting. That is, another brand shock mount is more than likely going to still fit the stock strut body mount and vice versa.

Am now putting the squeeze on the development guys as to when we might see a solution for the BLBP. ;)

Cheers

Whiteline Jim

www.whiteline.com.au

Thanks Jim. In the USA, the Legacy GT (2005+) comes with KYB shocks. The (much lower sales volume) Spec B sold here in the USA comes with Bilstien shocks. The Bilstiens use a better (thicker) front mount and as a result they also use slightly shorter springs up front. So keep in mind if you design them to work with Bilstiens they may not work with the regular Legacy GT sold here in the states, or they might raise the front if they are thicker than the stock mounts.

G’day everyone,

Thanks rexster, that’s interesting feedback and will pass on to the product development guys. I think the PCD should be common to both variants but I suspect the thicker version was used to deliver more compliance in the rubber to offset the mono-tube damper “nose” effect. That is, the wheel first needs to overcome the slight pressure increase in the gas chamber before the actual piston starts moving in the cylinder leading to a jiggly ride. Either way, I reckon it’s a good chance it will probably work but will lower the car slightly. Either way, need to check.

Slimjoe, we sure will. In fact I’m told that its a priority for 2010. You’re spot on in your summary too. We developed this product to deliver a good deal of the benefits of adjustable strut tops without the downsides.

Thanks all for your support.

Cheers

Whiteline Jim

www.whiteline.com.au

• 1 month later...

Funny story with these. :rolleyes:

I was looking into these around June last year on the Aussie Whiteline website and they listed the KCA335 as a direct replacements for the standard strut tops on the BL, BP Legacy.

Bought a set, went to get them fitted and found out to my utter disappointment they were the wrong style and wouldn't fit. :mad:

Spoke to Whiteline, they immediately changed the info on the website and gave me a full refund. :)

I eventually ended up buying and fitting a set of adjustable bearing plate ones (K-Mac) but I'm finding them a little too hard/harsh for my liking.

So long story short, I can't wait for Whiteline to bring these out to suit the BL, BP. :)

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if the Australian market BL/BP cars came with two different types of top-hat like the USDM cars, or if they all have the Bilstein aka JDM style?

Regardless, here's a bump for an update... The Fred Beans site lists these as being available for BL/BP cars, is that because they're now available, or is that because FBP didn't get the memo? :)

Whiteline Jim, are you subscribed to this thread? Any news?

I've got Bilstein-style struts and hats now. (Tokico struts, spec B hats)

If these are KYB-style hats, do I need to remove a $1.25-washer's worth of material from the bearing? :) Someone wrote a while back that the top nut barely engages and they didn't feel safe running that combo.

G’day everyone,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

NSFW, have asked our tech and product guys on an update, I'd love to be able to offer a COM-C for this application. Hope to get a positive reply.

Rusty, I think you're right in that its more about PCD as we design our part to replace OEM or variants of OEM so should be OK.

Hope to come back to you soon.

Cheers

Whiteline Jim

jim@whiteline.com.au

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

awesome.

are these designed similar to the specb/groupn mounts or similar to the usdm mounts because there will be a difference in ride height depending on springs?

i'm was assuming specb since whiteline is a world wide vendor, however it looks like the part is shared with the impreza. just wondering how the impreza mount differs.

It's not. '08 WRX is same geometry as '08~ STi but softer rubber.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived