LegacyGT.com

New continental UHPAS offering

JoeFromPA

I went to tirerack and found this today:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=245WR7ECDWS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

This tire weighs 1 pound more (in 225/45/17) than the contiextremecontact. It has a 50,000 mile treadlife warranty (holy crap!), which is really long for a UHPAS tire. This follows with the UTQG rating of 540 A A compared to Contiextreme's 400 AA A rating.

It appears unidirectional for cross-rotation as well.

I'll look forward to seeing reviews of this tire, but from what I'm seeing so far it should be a decent alternative to the contiextreme with better noise isolation, similar all-season performance, good straight-line tracking, and probably a bit heftier sidewall. Im guessing it's lower performance (the dry traction rating is lower) with longer treadlife.

Anyway, might be a good choice for someone and thought I'd mention it since alot of people like contiextreme's :)

Joe

I went to tirerack and found this today:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DWS&partnum=245WR7ECDWS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

This tire weighs 1 pound more (in 225/45/17) than the contiextremecontact. It has a 50,000 mile treadlife warranty (holy crap!), which is really long for a UHPAS tire. This follows with the UTQG rating of 540 A A compared to Contiextreme's 400 AA A rating.

It appears unidirectional for cross-rotation as well.

I'll look forward to seeing reviews of this tire, but from what I'm seeing so far it should be a decent alternative to the contiextreme with better noise isolation, similar all-season performance, good straight-line tracking, and probably a bit heftier sidewall. Im guessing it's lower performance (the dry traction rating is lower) with longer treadlife.

Anyway, might be a good choice for someone and thought I'd mention it since alot of people like contiextreme's :)

Joe

Good find.

Although I just bought Michelin PS A/S Plus' for my OBXT, I am due for a new set of UHPAS tires on my ol' 7 Series (E38).

I was surprised/disappointed to see the prices for this tire in 18" are in the realm of Michelin Pilot Sport. I like the Michelins a lot, so unless these get some real rave reviews, I'm not sure I'd take the gamble since it's not saving me any moolah. Will be interested to hear how other members here like them on their Subies tho......

Tim

wild looking

They remind me of my wife's Nokian WR G2 on my wife's LGT wagon.

Luckily I have around 10k left(currently at 30k) on my Nokian WR G2's to see if I will buy WR G2's or these new Continentals if they perform okay in the winter.

I love the WR G2's in the winter months however summer they are nothing special except incredible in the wet. They have gotten noisy with regular rotations but car has not been aligned and seen 2 New England winters.

Well, after about 200 miles I hate to report that mine are coming off and getting shipped back for some Michelin PS A/S Plus. After the third time trying to get rid of a nasty vibration that showed up above 65mph, the tech said that they are balanced just fine, it's the tire that isn't round causing the issue. When he spun the tire I could see a jump in the OD of the tire. I had this same problem the last time I tried a set of Contiextremes.

I did like how they felt around town, and on the twisties in the country. It didn't rain so I don't know how they are in the wet. If I didn't have the vibration, I would have kept them. Also if I wasn't headed out on vacation and a 14hr drive tomorrow afternoon, I might have tried a different set, so good luck and hopefully this is a rare problem.

Diggs753,

The shops I used do have road-force balancing. Also I like the Michelin's.......

Don't let my experience keep you from trying them. This might have been a bad set. If I hadn't had to leave yesterday and put a couple thousand miles on them this week, I would have tried a different set. BTW, we just rolled into Chesapeake, VA a couple hrs ago for the night......

^^^How well do you like the Michelins so far on the OBXT?Was looking into a set for my car.

Sorry for the late response....I didn't get a notification that someone posted.

Am loving my new Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on the XT. Fantastic in the rain, very precise in the dry and I can't wait to try 'em in the snow since I won't be running my dedicated winter tires/rims this year.

Especially with the 45k mileage warranty, it's nice to know that sometimes you really DO get what you pay for ;)

Tim

Actually to Kitty Hawk. Go home last night, a FUN place to visit!!

Nice!

Can't wait for our annual 2-week "pilgrimmage" to OBX in mid-August. Normally head to Salvo out on Hatteras Island, but this year we're doing Corolla at one of the "four wheel drive access only" houses way out there.

Tim

Yeah I love Nags Head.Not so much a fan on the beach.We have two houses in Colington Harbor.Nice and quiet w/o too much traffic.Or toursists.

+1 on the "no tourists"...even tho I am one! :lol:

That's why we've typically been heading down in late Sept.....but we've run out of friends who do no have school-aged kids, so now we've moved to late August instead. Boo.

Ever take your OB out on the beach?

Yean sometimes it looks and feels like PA,NJ,MD and OH in OBX.?

Haha! I'll bet it does! That's the "down side" of being in such a beautiful area which relies so heavily on tourism for its revenue.

A 33,000 dollar car on the beach?No.Hell No.

Why would I wanna get laughed at by all the posers in huge ass trucks?

I hear ya'...but then again, what's the difference between a 33,000 car on the beach and a 40+ truck or SUV? Sand washes off both ;)

As for being laughed at, I only care about being laughed at by people I know and respect--and posers don't fall into either category :). Fact remains your OB **could** run circles around their trucks on the beach--and do it using half the fuel.

Most of the hard-core truck enthusiasts I've met are blown away by the OB being so adept in off-road conditions like sand. After all, it's not like you're trying to drive a Lexus sedan on the beach or anything :lol:

Archived