LegacyGT.com

Engine Swap thoughts?

I currently drive a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i

I love the car, I just feel like it needs more power. I have been thinking and debating on what to do? I definitely want to keep the car.

I'm interested in engine swapping it with either an EJ20Y, or an EJ205.

I'm quite young and don't have a lot of experience with engines quite yet, so any opinions are helpful. :)

why is there literally 0 effort to research before asking something as complex as an engine swap? I just can't wrap my head around it.

I think somebody told them Subarus are like Legos. There's some truth to that, but it seems these guys underestimate the difficulty. They think it's like swapping in a new video card for the computer. Hey, Plug 'n' Play, right? :lol:

I wonder how many people come to our board, do the research and don't ask the question?

Obviously it's "easier" to join and then immediately post a question then it is to search and do the research. People these days want instant gratification(myself included). Maybe we could put a sticky at the top of the forum. "What it takes to swap an LGT engine into your car". (I'm not volunteering... :lol:)

Hey guys, I don't know if you're being modest or just grouchy and xenophobic, but asking you IS research.

What are you...an English major...;)

I think its sandwich time...let the fun begin...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It'd likely be more trouble than it's worth but it's a legitimate question.

My 2.5i wagon I could maybe get $4500-5000 or so for if I'm lucky. Loads of door dings and a rust spot on the rear quarter don't help me much so probably more like $4250. One with a blown motor or higher kms would be worth a lot less. A well kept GT in the same condition as my car would go for like $7500-8000. A JDM EJ20X/Y with ECU and all goes for around $1800 in my area.

If your 2.5i shell is clean enough, just with high miles or a blown motor, and you have the skills to do the swap yourself, swapping in a JDM turbo motor might not be the worst idea in the world. You just have to ask yourself what your time and effort are worth.

• 3 months later...
now that im into this deal pretty deep. ill admit i should have considered buying a gt car alot more. ive gotten everything wiring wise for my car using another friends vin number and im still having massive headaches. im close but that last 5% of a project is always the most difficult

Archived