LegacyGT.com

Best Short Shifter for 08 Legacy GT?

Hey guys I think my car is in need of a short throw and I'm curious as to your opinions on what short shifter is best fit for the Legacy? Also how hard is it to install is this something I will be able to do on my own? Does the Legacy a pretty long throw? I'm not sure if it is or not because I learned to drive manual on a car that was short throw.

I ordered the STI short shifter from my dealer, and they said the install will take them a couple of hours (and I'm not paying extra, so they're not going to dawdle).

My point is that a shop with trained techs and the right tools still requires a bit of time to do this. So, if you try it yourself, be prepared. HPH

Get the Kartboy Short Shifter! I had the regular - sucky...then the STI STS...which was OK...but still too notchy and hard to engage.

Then I got the Kartboy! I'm in shifting heaven. Perfect perfect perfect. nothing else to say.

Also install is super easy. If you can get a "snap ring" out of a hole, and put one back in - your golden.

Pull back a plastic piece, unscrew handle, remove a few bolts, a snap ring, and reverse it. done. 1 hr install, max.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

I don't usually give people a hard time, but DrCloud makes zero sense. The install does not take a couple hours, not even close. It might take an hour if your installing the front and rear staybushings, pivot bushings and linkage bushings.

What really makes the difference in the quality of the shifter feel is these bushings. So DrCloud, if you did not order and have your dealer install aftermarket front and rear stay, pivot, and linkage bushings you are really missing out. You are definitely being overcharged and they dwadling for an hour and a half if they charged you for two hours. Sorry man.

I don't know anything at all about this -- I'm just reporting what a Subaru technician told me. And I'm not paying extra for it, so I really don't care.

I do remember discussions about the STi shifter (from the time I had an STi) -- that there were bushings available from Kartboy or someone that improved both the stock shifter and the STi short shifter. Is that still the case? HPH

You can add the front and rear stay bushings and the linkage bushings to your STi shifter.

I am glad your not paying for it.

Original poster, you might want to check out the Super Shifter package from turninconcepts. It contains every single bushing and the kartboy shifter. Its very nice.

I had the cobb installed yesterday. Really well made peice, and shortened the throws and height from stock. I have a 6 speed, so install is a little different because of the reverse lockout. It does take more effort to get it into gear, but feels much more precise. No bushings added on mine.
2011 WRX Hatch currently. Looking for OXT or FXT for new daily to go with the WRX.

The walkthrough linked above will give you all the info you need about the complexity of the install. I have the Kartboy myself and like it -- I didn't get bushings, so it is a little tough to engage and I might install them later. I opted for the Kartboy because of the price, but the Cobb is also very well regarded from what research I did before buying...

Wheatleya and Dr. Cloud - You are missing an important facet -

The STI short shifter, as available from Subaru, replaces a significant portion of the linkage and just not the shift rod. It would take a significant amount of time to install.

For those who are talking about the Kartboy/Cobb and "harder to engage"....are you saying that the various bushings actually make it easier to engage, once you move to a short shifter?

Do the bushings reduce the amount the shifter moves around in it's box when driving (i.e. you can actually see the shift knob moving around when hitting bumps and stuff, while on my other cars (FWD) the shift knob does not move).

I'm thinking about doing a Cobb shifter, Kartboy delrin knob, and kartboy or cobb shifter bushings (just the two that go in the front). I want the adjustability of the Cobb....I think....

hehe

Joe

I did not know that the sti shifter replaced the linkage, its unfortunate that it replaces the linkage and many still say it sucks.

The bushings help the feel of the shifter, they get rid of the vagueness and sloppyness. I do feel that they help it engage better, alot better. As does the transmission mount. I suggest replacing the front and rear stay mount, and the pivot and linkage bushings, and the transmission mount bushings.

The stock shifter feels like stirring pudding, very mushy. I think only upgrading to a short throw without bushings is only fixing half the problem. In fact I would rather have the stock shifter and upgraded bushings than an upgraded shifter with stock bushings.

I have the Kartboy, but the Cobb also looks like a great piece.

I don't know if many are saying the STi sucks, it just doesn't reduce the throw as much.

I agree on the bushings, just my budget was creeping up on me. I figured, I could add them later if necessary. The adjustability of the Cobb was a nice feature, but I figured the non-adjusted throw of the Kartboy met my needs...

Cheers

Love my Kartboy STS. Also got the front and rear bushings. Incredible.

Problem is that with the change after the STS was installed I couldn't stand the stock shift knob so got something a little bigger and more round. Incredible purchase (Lathewerks black copolymer STi sphere).

Sorry, correction to the above. It's kartboy that offers the package deal, and it's $185 for one of their shift knobs, shifter bushings, and short shifter. I don't think it's that good of a deal ($150 would've been).

Turninconcepts offers their "Holy shift package" or some such....about $200 and includes all the bushings and stays you could possibly want to replace as part of your shift package, as well as a kartboy short shifter. I really don't want to spend over $200 on my shifter, so I'll probably get the kartboy, front bushings, and a shift knob.

Joe

I have the Cobb short shifter and hardened bushings. The shifter is about as low as you can go without rubbing on the internal bracket. Definitely a notchier feel that requires more effort to engage than stock.

I recently ordered a custom leather boot from Redline, I'll update with a picture when I get that installed.

As far as I can tell, the only manufacturer for the Rear bushing is KartBoy.

The bushings get rid of the play in your shifter (that wiggle back and forth). I installed the Cobb and it had made a difference in the amount of play. I have not installed the rear, as not many people manufacture it, therefor, it does not seem to be a popular or needed upgrade.

-Sephon

Do the STS get annoying for daily driving? I am aware that they make shifts shorter and more crisp, but if someone is saying that is harder to engage then I would think it would be a nuisance for a daily driven car, no?

Archived