LegacyGT.com

Buy a decent '07 OBXT or keep my '97 OB?

dvancleve

Howdy folks.

I am currently driving a '97 5 speed Outback that I bought new, when I am not driving my "wife's" Prius. It has had a bunch of work in the last couple years (head gaskets, timing belt and pullies, water pump, accessory belts a year or so before, new battery wiring) and is still below 90K miles. I have done some mods over the years, Whiteline rear bar and front/rear links, short shifter and Cusco front stay bushings, 16" Impreza RS wheels and 2 1/4" catback exhaust. It went 6 months or so drip free after the head gasket work, but is dripping some oil from the right front now. No rust, nothing worse than some door dings, no holes in the upholstery or carpet. It is cheap to register and just passed an emissions test. That said, I have been driving it for 15 years, it isn't fast and AFAIK can't really get significantly faster without spending silly money.

I just drove a pretty nice '07 OBXT Limited 5 speed manual today, 55K miles, one owner, all or most records, good condition over all and an AZ car since new. It has a single door ding, some stains on the roll-out cover in the back, a hole in the carpet near the gas pedal and the cargo net on the back of the passenger seat is droopy. I drove it for 15 minutes or so, didn't get on the gas much. It drove fine, clutch pedal is stiffer than I expected but the owner said it has always been that way. It is a reasonable price, no sales tax since not a dealer and I wouldn't have to finance it. It was nicer in every way than mine (power everything, leather, giant sunroof, nearly 100 more hp), but I guess it didn't knock my socks off. If I were to buy it, I would immediately start looking for some LGT wagon springs and maybe front struts (for Konis) or the Bilsteins if I could find a decent deal.

I suppose I am practical to a fault, but I probably won't have to put any significant money into my old OB for years now as I don't usually drive it even 5K per year. I have a complete '05 STi takeoff suspension in my garage and also an '05 WRX wagon setup, both 20-25K total miles (bought the WRX first, then decided STi might be better). I have a line on some '04 STi housings that will bolt on and also have contacted a local welder who can weld up the lower holes on the '05 housings to move them if the '04s don't work out. I have the camber bolts and 3/8" saggy butt spacers that should make the STi stuff work great in back. Overall, I guess I don't hate my car, I am used to it and it is cheap to own.

I am also considering a WRX or STi hatchback or maybe even a VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon (all manual transmission). I have 4 dogs, 2 kids and am used to having plenty of hauling spacer. Would it be foolish to skip having the OBXT checked by a shop with single owner and records? What should I do?

Thanks, Doug

If you are considering the vehicle, definitely have it checked out by a shop. Even the best looking car could have issues lurking. It sounds like a really nice OBXT, I am in the market for one myself.

Regarding your choices, I would recommend weighing your needs against your wants. If you are considering a WRX or STi but need to haul, the XT is a great compromise.

Good luck in your decision.

I have the factory dog grate for my current OB and I would get the same for the new(er) one, so the leather doesn't matter ;)

The beater idea isn't terrible, but I want to get down to 2 cars so I have a garage bay for my bicycles and stuff, at least until my daughters reach driving age...

Thanks, Doug

4 dogs...do you really want leather?

I would say you should keep your current OB as a beater, sell all the parts to get some cash, buy the OBXT and mod it to stage 2 with some suspension goodies :)

If you want to do suspension mods, the OBXT doesn't have great options. You could swap a LGT suspension, but why not just look for a nice LGT instead? They're out there. In 2006 I went from a 96 LGT to my current 05 OBXT. Huge difference in build quality, power, comfort, everything.

I believe the only manual transmission Legacy GT wagon was in 2005. I suspect there are even fewer of those around than man. trans. OBXTs. Easier to lower an OBXT than de-slushbox an 06-09 LGT wagon ;)

Doug

If you want to do suspension mods, the OBXT doesn't have great options. You could swap a LGT suspension, but why not just look for a nice LGT instead? They're out there. In 2006 I went from a 96 LGT to my current 05 OBXT. Huge difference in build quality, power, comfort, everything.

You are correct that manual LGT wagons are pretty rare. I don't think OBXTs are terribly common either but I don't know how the numbers compare. I could stomach the higher ride height of the OBXT a lot easier than I could stomach that heinous lower body work that isn't the same color as the rest of the car. I guess if I was looking at manual turbo wagons and the right one came up, sure, why not. The observation that there's a hole in the carpet near the gas pedal with only 55K on the car is a good indicator that it was driven primarily by someone wearing high heels, i.e. a woman (probably). If that's indeed the case I would assume the engine is less likely to be beaten on, but I'd be looking real close at the maintenance records especially WRT oil change intervals. [/chauvanisticpig]

There's a lot to be said for keeping an old beater car that's cheap on maintenance and fuel costs, but there's also a lot to be said for ass heaters and a little torque.

I was never a huge fan of the gray lower panels on the OBs, including my '97, but this particular OBXT is solid metallic gray. I believe the guy who showed me the car has been the primary driver. The hole in the carpet is where the right side of your foot could rub against the carpet next to the accelerator. The car was bought here in AZ and apparently only serviced at a couple different Subaru dealers, so it seems like any missing records could be gotten (he said he has all or at least most of them). Since it was replaced with a Chevy Volt, I don't think the dude is into performance...

Thanks, Doug

You are correct that manual LGT wagons are pretty rare. I don't think OBXTs are terribly common either but I don't know how the numbers compare. I could stomach the higher ride height of the OBXT a lot easier than I could stomach that heinous lower body work that isn't the same color as the rest of the car. I guess if I was looking at manual turbo wagons and the right one came up, sure, why not. The observation that there's a hole in the carpet near the gas pedal with only 55K on the car is a good indicator that it was driven primarily by someone wearing high heels, i.e. a woman (probably). If that's indeed the case I would assume the engine is less likely to be beaten on, but I'd be looking real close at the maintenance records especially WRT oil change intervals. [/chauvanisticpig]

There's a lot to be said for keeping an old beater car that's cheap on maintenance and fuel costs, but there's also a lot to be said for ass heaters and a little torque.

You really HAVE gone over to the dark side, haven't you?

Doug ;)

Another vote for the OBXT. I'd be happy to encourage you to take it to stage 2. It's only money. :)

Sell off all those pesky bicycles taking up space in your garage.

• 3 weeks later...

So I went and looked at the OBXT again this afternoon. It really is very clean overall. It has a very stiff clutch pedal, stiffer than anything I recall driving (except maybe the 1 ton Ford 4wd diesel crew cab I drove one summer). The owner said it has always been that way or perhaps that it was a gradual change but he never noticed anything. It seems to function just fine, but it is surprisingly stiff. I don't think my wife would want to drive it... Thoughts?

Thanks, Doug

Thanks for responding. I have heard a few times that the clutches are stiff, but I would say this one is shockingly stiff (to me any way). I just called the closest dealer and the service guy said they get stiffer as they age/wear out. At 57,500 miles and no clue about how well the owner drives a stick, that probably explains it. He also said there really isn't anything to check without taking things apart. A clutch replacement at the dealer is about $1500. Yikes... Doug

The stiff clutch is totally normal. I have the exact same car he is describing.

I don't think my wife would want to drive it... Thoughts?

Isn't that a good thing? The OBXT I test drove had a stiffer clutch than my 5th gen. It wasn't stiff like some of the performance clutches I have driven. Do you have a Honda or another car with a light clutch (Some of the Honda's I have driven have had he lightest clutch I have ever driven.)

I find that I quickly get used to most clutch weights (and it seems normal). After i get used to clutch the only time I really notice the diference is when I drive another manual.

OBXT. I think the cladding looks good when it's all the same color and the LGT swap was budget-friendly, easy, and effective. Yes, I will be changing to proper setup by summer, but you can't beat the LGT bits for a quick couple of inches of drop.

Oh, and the clutch pedal thing is normal apparently. I have a buddy with a '09 Stage 3.5 WRX with the Spec Stage II clutch and that was the first thing he noticed about driving my car.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB

Hmm... The OBXT!

The 07 is much refined over the 97. I've had a 97 OB, 99 LGT, 04 Legacy wagon, and have currently 07 OB and 10 LGT Stage II.

Had head gasket issues with the 97. 04 was an improvement but the brakes stunk. The brakes are much evolved in the 07. Engine much better. Fit, finish and noise quieting much much better. Single owner on a turbo, and a manual - that's a fantastic find. Critical to look at oil change interval for this engine. >4k intervals increases chances the turbo may have been starved for oil. May be a reason to have a good look over including a compression test.

Archived