LegacyGT.com

Everyone, which tires are you using?

godwhomismike

Which tires are you using and how do you like them? Pros and Cons? Include the size or the tire too. Not sure if ride height would affect tire performance if you lowered your car/wagon, but list it if you made any changes.

Hoping this thread might be a good source of info for those researching new tires for their Legacy/Outback - so please keep it on topic. Thanks.

- Mike

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Falken Ziex ZE-512.

225/45/17.

39/37 psi, hot.

Stock rims. Stock suspension and brakes.

I chose the Falkens as they are "high-performance all-season" - they're a compromise for me in terms of cost and true all-season (especially snow) usage.

I know they're not the most grippy in the dry. Similarly, they're not that great in the snow, either (although the larger footprint will help in the dry, they will be a further negative compromise in the snow). However, in both cases, they get the job done, and their limits are rather predictable.

Great in the rain - at least straight-ahead. No hydroplaning either at highway speed through 1-2 inches of standing water or even deeper (assuming speed drop to compensate). Traction off-the-line and cornering, when wet, is again a compromise.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Summer tire.....KUHMO 712....Unbeatable wet performance:)

Winter tire.......KUHMO MX......Dry peformance/very good traction...a litttle loud;)

I used to purchase nothing but the Michelin brand...no more! My father in law has been in the tire business for almost 15 years, he finally convinced me to try them. I was very skeptical of the tire @ first....for the $$ they are a STEAL!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Winter tire.......KUHMO MX......Dry peformance/very good traction...a litttle loud;)

I used to purchase nothing but the Michelin brand...no more! My father in law has been in the tire business for almost 15 years, he finally convinced me to try them. I was very skeptical of the tire @ first....for the $$ they are a STEAL!

:confused:

You live in Tampa.....why two different tires? The ones you mentioned are both summer tires, neither is A/S

I purchased the 712 just for the wet traction. The MX's were on the set of wheels I just purchased but I was well informed of their abilities;) The 712's are a harder compound I think they have a 280 treadwear. The MX's have a 200..Just drove through a downpour this afternoon with the MX's...def not a raintire:(
Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Toyo T1-S > Kumho 712s

Falken Azenis = Yokohama Advan Neova > Toyo T1-R > Kumho MX

There are a lot better tires than the Kumho Street tires as the MXs are now the slower (aka not as sticky) set of street tires out there.

Keefe

Keefe

Kumho, Falkens, Fuzion,..

Some brands that Im not familiar with as the only knowledge I have of tires are the ones Ive used,...BFGoodrich, Bridgestones, Yokos, and Goodyear

So far Ive liked the Bridgestones (in general) for wear, wet/dry handling, tire width (size seem wider in same size comparo), and quite ride/noise,...Yokos and Goodyear seem to wear out too fast and BFGoodrich arent as wide in same width in comparison and noisy,...

How are those other brands as some are Korean made (is it well made??) and others Ive not tried in wear and reliability (tread wont break/seperate) like those Firestones on some Fords (just as an example),...btw,..just asking as a tire failed on my dad's truck while doing 60mph+on freeway so just asking out of curiosity and knowledge base,..

235/40/17

Didn't want 18s for cost, weight, and rim protection. I think this tire size is the best +0 size for the LGT. Even though wider, the slightly smaller diameter gives better torque and acceleration and gives more vertical clearance for the tire in a lowered vehicle.

Michelin Pilot Sport 2s

Pros

Very High Dry Grip Grip, Still Good Wet Grip, Consistently High Rating from Tests in Multiple Magazines, Tire Rack

Cons

Expensive, Snow tires (or at least a swap to all seasons) a must

Got these on sale at tire rack for $148 a piece. I love them but I'm not sure I would have purchased at the current price of $194.

Another RE 70 225/45/17 user here. Took off an sti, super sticky, super loud, they look hot, but ill need a set of stock wheels to put the re92's on for the winter. Maybe by than I could pick up a set of the new WRX 17's for cheap.

Before the re 70's I was using Falken zeix 512 225/45/18 and I was satisfied with them they were well rounded. But not much performance wise compared to the 70's.

245/35/18 Goodyear F1's. Quiet, great in the rain, confortable and TONS of grip, no vices...

I have the F1s in the stock size. Ditto PGT's comments...though with over 4K miles on them they do not seem as tight nor grippy as they were previously. Probably going with Nokian WRs in a month or so for the white stuff...

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Michelin PS2s in 225-40-18. Expensive but they are awesome - very good wet grip, predictable and grippy on dry, supposedly with decent wear. moderately noisier than oem potenzas. good road feel and crisp turn in. easily as good or better than a set of Toyo T1Ss I had on a previous car.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Archived