LegacyGT.com

One Hell of an Evening (Long, but with Cliffs!)

I'll start off by saying that I absolutely fell in love with my car tonight.

I work for a security company as an Operations Supervisor. Every once and a while I have to work post time(Work as a security guard at a site). Well tonight/last night, I had to.

My shift started at 1600 hours. I get there early, check over the security truck, which is a 90's Ford Ranger 2WD 4cyl. Around 1600 hours I start my shift. Everything goes well through most of the night. Had to chase a few kids away from some of the homes being built, because they were throwing rocks at them.

Around 2300 hours I see a few kids running around behind one of the single family homes that is a model. I proceed to drive the truck into the gravel lot beside it to see what the kids are up to. As I pull in I see a bunch of hay. I'm thinking, "WTF?" this this is supposed to be gravel. All of a sudden the ground feels very mushy. Then I realize, that for some reason, they had taken away the gravel and all that was left was dirt. Well it has been raining for the past 3 days here in Maryland, so it was all mud. So I'm thinking to myself that as long as I don't slow down to much, I shouldn't get stuck. Well as I try to turn around as fast as I can, I apparently slowed down to much. BAM! the truck comes to a stop. I'm thinking to myself, SOB!

I take a moment to collect my thoughts. I start thinking that I can just rock the truck back and forth, from Drive to Reverse. Well that doesn't work. So I do what I really do not want to do and hop out and look in the bed for something that I can use. I see about 5 or 6 2"x2" wood boards. I stick those under the tires and try rocking the truck again. No luck. The only other thing that I could think of was to call one of the other guards that works this site, and actually lives there too (community) to come and help me out. He shows up only to tell me that his truck is not 4x4. A thought pops into my head that I really wish wouldn't have. I guess I'll just have to use the Legacy. :eek:

He gives me a ride up to the car and I follow him back down to where the truck is stuck. He says he has a rope in the back of his truck. I back the Legacy up praying to god that it doesn't get stuck in the 6 - 12 inches of mud that is there. The Legacy surprisingly has no trouble(stock tires that are low on tread). I tie up the 2 vehicles and give it a go. No luck, rope breaks. So I try to help by pushing on the rear of the truck while he gives it some gas. Still no luck. After trying for a while, we give up and decide to get someone to help us in the morning.

I get home and call my dad and tell him about what happened. He suggests going to Wal-mart and buying a "tow rope." I decide I might as well give it another shot. He says he'll come with me. I meet him at Wal-mart and I buy a "tow rope." It's about 10 feet long and has 2 metal hooks, 1 at each end of the rope. It claims to hold up to 6500lbs of pressure.

My dad follows me to where the truck is, I back the Legacy up once again and hook one end to the rear tow hook on the Legacy and the other end I wrap around a thick metal bar that is in front of the AC core on the truck. I slowly creep forward until I feel the rope tighten. I cross my fingers and go for it. I slowly creep forward as my dad hits the gas pedal in the truck. SOB comes right out, no slipping or nothing. Absolutely no issues what so ever.

I still can't believe that a 2.5 4cyl pulled out a Ford Ranger, in 6 - 12 inches of mud. I am completely amazed at what this car can do. I am so happy I bought my Legacy, so happy.

Cliffs(for those with no attention span):

Went to work

Got the work truck stuck in 6-12 inches of mud.

Went through hell trying to figure out how to get it out.

Bought a $10 tow rope

Pulled the SOB right out with the Legacy!

Incredibly happy with owning a Subaru Legacy:wub:

Here are the pics!

100_0213.thumb.jpg.24d5d06ffea6218dd17ea98f621a6cad.jpg

100_0215.thumb.jpg.33cb13f7e5f37a075b9f7cfe6df53159.jpg

100_0216.thumb.jpg.694fe6837252b66ee77d2aaaa0840fcf.jpg

100_0218.thumb.jpg.67d5912ad3a01d8d9364376fbd8c8941.jpg

Guest Gitster
:confused:

Unless it's an auto, towing something out of the mud is going to burn up the clutch, ass/

I thought you were talking to me, considering I have a transmission thread open. Yes I understand the mechanics of a clutch. :rolleyes:

For recovery operations involving 'yanking' out vehicles with another one, they have been known to unhook and kill people if you don't attach properly.

Hardly anyone knows how to properly attach the types with metal hooks, but you should almost always use the "loop style" recovery straps, and not tow straps. They're much different.

If you're going to use any kind of recovery strap, put a jacket over the line. If the strap breaks the jacket will suck up all the energy in the recovery strap and "kill" the line. You definitely want to do this for winches especially. It's just a precautionary, but there are a few videos floating around where people have had their winch line thrown through their windshield because of that very thing. Then there are videos where the line snapped with a jacket or some sort of energy absorber and the line just dies within 5 feet.

Safety first!

Well the way we did it was a very slow and some what long process. I didn't yank the truck at all. I agree with you though, if it would snap, it could do some damage. But I had my dad in the truck hitting the gas, so there really wasn't to much tension after the initial pull.

Great story of triumphing over adversity with your Subie!

I'll bet if you wrote into Drive magazine they might use the story for the next issue.

Oh yeah, those tribal stripes on the Ranger are wicked! :p

Sure, be sure to include your VIN for the complementary "Warranty Void" postcard :lol:

Sure, be sure to include your VIN for the complementary "Warranty Void" postcard :lol:

Good point! Maybe you should save your 15 minutes of fame for something other than an official SOA publication. Doh!

Archived