LegacyGT.com

Cabin air filter purchase?

I have a 2005 OBXT and a 2005 Legacy GT, and I'm interested in replacing the cabin air filter in both cars. The dealer tells me that it costs $140(!) for the "kit" that is needed to replace the filter. Seems to me that we should just need a filter. Does anyone have any experience with this, such as where to buy the parts, do I need a whole kit, etc.?

Thanks.

If the car's are already equipped with the filters you just need the replacment filters. If the car's were not factory equipped you need to buy a retro kit for the air filtration.

Pop your glove box open and see if there are three screw heads on top. If you do, it already has the retrofit kit. Then go to the local hardware store and buy a filter for HVAC and just cut to fit. It's cheaper and works a heck of a lot better than the POS stock filter.

Why not pull your existing filter out and clean it.

The Australian spec cars come with it standard and the filter can be cleaned quite well if you are gentle on it.

I cleaned mine at 75,000kms and it cleaned up nicely.

tim

You can see what I did at:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34389&page=2

Definitely just cut the 3M filters up--super cheap and a great filter. Cut up a piece of the wire mesh that come with the 3M (or some other mesh) and put it underneath the 3M material (if you didn't leave the mesh attached) to keep it from "sucking" into the vent.

Archived