LegacyGT.com

Turbo Replacement Experience?

JMJ5150

Ever turned a wrench before? Its not a complicated job at all. I could probably do it in 3 hours and I'm not a great wrench. I think first time was 6 hours after screwups and beer breaks

You probably have a local forum too where you could easily get someone to trade half their day for some beer and pizza

Not saying you can't talk to the locals, you can also come outside and play with us in the 4 gen section. This will have the resources to limit a million questions and help you decide a path to take when you get help from the locals. Start a build thread there and most can chip in and point you to part numbers and what not.

Thanks for the all the replies

I can do basic brake replacement, transmission and oil change.

I don't have the tools or experience with the little details needed to the job correctly. With my 3rd child being born in January I don't have the time or the funds either so basically all I have is you guys in here while I am stuck inside the house on paternity leave.... :)

OP, before you replace the turbo, you need to tell us a bit more about how your last one went -- when the turbos blow in these cars, they tend to take the motor with them, shortly thereafter.

As far as turbo replacement goes -- can take the better part of a day, but isn't terribly difficult. Wouldn't recommend it for your first wrenching on the car, though.

I am in the Bay Area as well and have my weekends free a lot of the time. Depending on where you are I am more then happy to come help. I have not pulled my turbo myself but I have done a ton of other work on my car including clutch, timing belt, up pipe replacement, downpipe replacement. I don't imagine the turbo replacement being very difficult at all with the most difficult part not making a mess with the oil in the turbo.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

hate that tube!

I found it helpful when i started putting a flashlight at the bottom to shine a light up at the pipe where the tube goes onto. That way I can see where the tube is supposed to go on its way down.

Archived