LegacyGT.com

Spoiler - What's Involved? (Wagon)

What would be involved if I wanted to put a spoiler on my wagon. I'm talking about the factory spoiler. Say I could find one for cheap, is this something easily replaced (like a fender) or is it more complicated due to the window...? It would be for the car below.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4286033632_f4e37c52f2.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4286029198_b4e8b410f9.jpg

Nothing complicated. I had a factory kit with instructions, and basically all that was required - drill 2 (or maybe 3, I forgot) 1/2" holes in the liftgate, and secure the thing. Might have a scan of instructions hiding somewhere deep in the hard-drive, so if you get a spoiler without instructions - PM me.

Ahh, so is it literally drill holes and bolt on? Sweet. I always assumed it was a replacement for the standard piece that I have on my car now, and that it would be all complicated and crap.

Wonder if you could just secure it with double-stick tape? Lol.

well what stock spoiler are you going to put on, yupp there are two stock spoilers that you can get. There is the one that is off the GT, and one that is off the outback. The GT's is more of an extended lip whille the outback's spoiler is more like a spoiler.

I've got an new Outback spoiler, never installed, with the Subaru fitting kit. It's white (it was green before I had i tpainted to match my car . . . .). Let me know if you're interested & I'll sendpics. I'm in SC.

Cheers,

Jim

Ah, c'mon. By the time it rusts - there will be plenty of decent liftgates with no spoilers around junkyards :)

I had a spoiler installed for 2 years and didn't see any signs of rust on the inside surface when I glanced at it before I sold it (was pulling some stuff I had mounted under the liftgate plastic).

Just make sure you score factory install kit, which includes proper gaskets etc.

• 4 weeks later...
Ah, c'mon. By the time it rusts - there will be plenty of decent liftgates with no spoilers around junkyards :)

I had a spoiler installed for 2 years and didn't see any signs of rust on the inside surface when I glanced at it before I sold it (was pulling some stuff I had mounted under the liftgate plastic).

Just make sure you score factory install kit, which includes proper gaskets etc.

Getting ready to do this to my '99 wagon, rust is not a concern really, ill prep and seal everything... What I'm wondering is, though, the gaskets, klips, etc from the factory kit... My local dealer said my car didn't have a spoiler factory, so no dice on the gasket kit. There policy is not to sell SOA OEM parts for consumers to DIY upgrades. blah blah blah. Anybody got any suggestions on where to get one? And is it a kit or individual peices?

I'm just gonna post the pics of install instructions. They are crappy but marginally readable at 100% zoom. If they are not - let me know, I'll post uncropped pics somewhere.

Thanks man... But i still need to source the hardware/gaskets/etc. I have the spoiler, but thats it.

First thing that came to mind from saying "was pulling some stuff I had mounted under the liftgate plastic" was drugs. Haha.. Just watched some guy get his car ripped to pieces on cops. Sorry. Lol.

@ Stang70Fastback - I have a white (formerly green) spoiler w/the OEM hardare kit & instructions - shoot me a message if you're interested.

Cheers,

Jim

Archived