LegacyGT.com

Down a headlight?

Just went to pick up dinner and head back to work.... I noticed my passenger side low beam was out when I approached to store front. Anyone else lost a bulb yet?

When i pciked up the car 1 bulb was dim. Took it back and left it, found out the fuse was not in all the way. 1 month later that bulb burns out. Service wanted me to leave it(for a bulb!) I said forget it and bought one at kragen for 8 bucks. Matches fine.

Yup. Lost my D/S low beam @ 15,200 miles. Just replaced it today with a standard Sylvania from good 'ole Pep Boys.

Back in business. It sure makes a difference being down one headlight. Good thing for the fogs, or I wouldn't have been able to see the lines in the center of the road!

So I got the first bulb replaced. Of course when i got the first one replaced,the parts guy told they used a hyundai bulb :-0 Anyways I assumed they replaced both bulbs but no of course not. I'm starting to expect this now ......... 1 day later bam there goes the driver's side low beam... I asked the dealer why did you not replace both and they stated that the company who handles warranty servicing works in such a way that only one can replaced at a time. They said they thought it was stupid jsut like me. They mentioned that they also have to retain defective parts and that the servicing company periodically asks for defective parts from randomly chosen repairs, to check and see if the parts are actually defective. If they are not defective, the dealer eats the cost of the part. On a side note the service manager mentioned that when servicing STI's (not now but a while back ago) they had to call for advance authorization from SOA before they could work on them at all. Truly it kinda irks me to have to make time to leave work and go to the dealer 2 different times to get these 2 bulbs replaced. Thus far, I have been very dissappointed with the quality of Subaru Service from their dealers. I have raised my concerns with SOA but they seem to be of the position that they are not responisible for their dealers or the quailty of service they provide. While I think they might not be directly responsible I would think that they might be want to have some sort of standards for dealers to live up to?

Oh well enough ranting for now.

Joe

As far as what type of bulb, there are really only so many companies that manufacture them. The factory one I replaced was a Philips. I could have used any old H7 really so long as it was 55W. I'm not really up to speed on all of the different boutique bulbs like the Silverstars and such, but could have gone that route as well. So far, the P/S light is still hanging in there. It was a little snug chancing it out between the battery and the filler neck for the washer fluid reservoir, but it still only took me 10 minutes from start to finish. I realize that I could have had the dealer replace it, but the time it would take to go down there really wasn't worth the $15 I spent on the headlight. Given the road conditions in the northeast/mid-atlantic of late, it was worth more to me to be able to see where I was going at night.

For my part, I have not had any serious issues with my Subaru service department. They have always been very prompt and courteous, and they haven't tried to strongarm me with snake-oil upsells like "injector-cleaning" and the like. Granted, I have not yet had any serious issues (knock on wood), but I don't anticipate there being any issues. Of course, I will be changing dealerships soon (going from Rafferty Subaru in Newtown, PA to Subaru of Morristown in NJ) due to my relocation. I have not heard anything one way or the other about them, but I should probably post in the regional forum.

Good luck to you with your dealership. Hopefully they can make things right in the future. If not, perhaps with some prompting, SOA can get things straightened out for you.

• 4 weeks later...
My car is 4 days old and BOTH low beams burnt out. I took it to the dealer this morning and they replaced them both for me without an appointment. Took a little over an hour. They told me both bulbs burnt out and i was like both:confused: . Oh well, at least we have fog lights so when they burn out we can still see without blinding other drivers with our high-beams.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I switched my bulbs to the European Silverstars shortly after getting my car.

Lost one bulb, can't remember which side, somewhere between 10-13K miles.

Lost the other one about a week later...

Good thing I still kept the stockers.. Just waiting to see if these blow too.

Lost the d/s low beam at 9,000...and the p/s about 10 miles later.

I seem to have found at least a temporarily happy position for the beams... rather than lowering them from spec (where I was flashed perpetually) I raised them so the break from light to dark is far above oncoming drivers. No flashing thus far!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just lost my passenger side bulb. I put Euro Silverstars in back in December. 10K miles worth of use.....I leave the lgiths on all the time. Seems a bit early. My PIAA's lasted longer.

In the end it's not all bad. I replaced my burnt out bulb with Silvania SilverStar. The SilverStars are a better color than stock. I would recoment the SilverStars to anyone that need to replace their bulbs. BTW, the bulbs on the OB are super easy to change. Just remove the weather cover thing, undo the clip, unplug the wire, then go in reverse with the new bulbs. On the passenger side I just had to remove the air intake scoop and I had to unclip the washer fluid resovior on the driver side. All in all, I'm happy.

• 4 months later...
Lost passenger low at 65,000 kilometers. It was one week after have the car sprayed by Krown Rust. Don't know if that caused it. Love my 2000 but can't get better than 500 km on a tank of gas and 95 % highway driving.

Archived