LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket mufflers as quiet as stock?

Tehnation

Does such a thing exist?

I'm at that age where I despise fart cans and loud exhausts. Mainly because I have realized loud cars and going fast is a bad combination and makes you an easy target. If no one hears you speeding its a lot easier to do so.

I want to go aftermarket for hp gains but more noise just comes with the territory when you go aftermarket. I hate it....

I don't think sound has anything to do with getting a speeding ticket. I'm pretty sure if a cop sees a car going over the speed limit, I don't think it matters how loud the car is. I got a speeding ticket in my girlfriend's baby blue kia spectra and haven't gotten anything in my gt with muffler deletes.

To flow well enough for hp gains(negligible anyway), the mufflers will be louder than stock. Although downpipe/cats/resonator/etc make a difference as well.

From what I've read many many times, OEM mufflers flow fine for most setups.

'08 Legacy 2.5i - hybrid intake - delta 1000 - E85 - magnaflow exhaust

I don't think sound has anything to do with getting a speeding ticket. I'm pretty sure if a cop sees a car going over the speed limit, I don't think it matters how loud the car is. I got a speeding ticket in my girlfriend's baby blue kia spectra and haven't gotten anything in my gt with muffler deletes.

Loud cars are just easier to spot and draws your attention. People will naturally look when they hear loud sounds. For example when your friends hear you before they see your car pull up in their driveway, its like "my rides here" you walk outside and 10-20 seconds later the car pulls in driveway.

Cops (at least where I live) drive around with their windows down. not for cars, but some even have systems to locate (directionally) loud noises like gunfire.

i'd lump spoilers in this category as well. gonna have a better chance of tickets in an STI with flaps, spoiler and loud exhaust than a quiet spoilerless lgt/outback.

the discontinued SPT exhaust I heard was quite quiet. someone on here had a similar exhaust "commissioned", but the cost was prohibitive to me. I can do a search for it if you're really interested...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

ok, I think you crossed in to my territory....I'm sure I own the fastest quiet machine here.... The way I achieved that buy doing all the regular stuff (up pipe and down) and gutting my cats...with stock cans.... racer-x was surprised when I took him for a ride....Down side - gas smell sometimes... I was able to tune some of that out...but you still smell unburned fuel on occasions

I love the smell of gas! I have an up and downpipe, bnr18g and 1000cc injectors currently. I am planning my new engine build atm, and trying to see if I can get between 400-500 awhp, not sure if stock cans can do that. I know at that point the exhaust will add significant gains.

Unless your stock cans are rusted out, leave them. I have about 15k on my stage 4 car and I'm running stock cat back. Borla headers, GS uppipe, Invidia DP (catless). So completely catless, stage 4, 18g car, stock cans, extremely quiet...

your not going to hit those number on an 18g ..maybe 400ish on corn. I have to check my last dyno sheet but I'm constantly around 390/385 on stock cans and HTA68 built motor and all the fixings...tuner say's I'm leaving a good 15-30hp on the table and I'll loose some torque if I open up the exhaust.... for me, it's not worth the noise...I smoke just about everyone and I do it quietly. I'm sure it kept me out trouble one or twice .. when you get there, I've looked in to several options like by-pass valves and such....problem is tuning...the only one worth it is a vacume operated by-pass. Therefore you can tune for it when it opens..

18g is what i have now! My rebuild will be with a ball bearing or 20g turbo, with heads that can handle 8k rpm. I'm limited with turbos because I am sticking with tmic, so I need a big turbo with stock fitment... blahhh

Looks like I'm going to stick with the stock cans. Maybe just get a bigger y pipe and call it a day.

Goal is super stock sleeper.

Next is how to increase intake air flow with stock look and to find aftermarket 18" x 8" wheels that look stock and lets me insert the Subaru emblem in center cap/hub.

And I like the sheer simplicity of the tmic, I already want to throw a brick through the windshield because of my crazy fuel trims. More pipes to me just equals more headaches.

A little nitrous maybe :icon_twis

hmm... you can get racer-x black FMIC no mods needed...I hear you on more pipes equals more problems.....if your fuel trim is all over the place with stock piping, than I'll be willing to say you may have a leak. Are you going for stock look under the hood as well ? IMO I didn't think its worth the time....I was going to keep the stock intake but it was easer to buy a K&N typhoon to run the pipes. Nitrous is an interesting alternative...I've considered it my self.....decided it wasn't worth the headache.. but good luck in that endeavor sounds like your off to a good start... I have a feeling you'll end up going FMIC eventually

I want it to look stock minus the big silver ic , which I may paint black. The intake will have to look aftermarket, i'll keep it simple, a black aftermarket turbo inlet and that k&n typhoon looks simple, no chrome and nothing to grab your attention. Just wondering if it actually flows more air than stock.

I want it to look stock minus the big silver ic , which I may paint black. The intake will have to look aftermarket, i'll keep it simple, a black aftermarket turbo inlet and that k&n typhoon looks simple, no chrome and nothing to grab your attention. Just wondering if it actually flows more air than stock.

Again I'll refer to my build. 18g, DW740 with plenty of headroom, DW65, Longtube UEL Borla headers, Catless GS UP, Invidia Catless dp, stock cat back.

I'm current peaking around 22 psi and tapering to redline with that exhaust, and Stock MAF tube, MAF, snorkus, panel filter. Hell, I even put the stock turbo heat shielding on the 18g so it looks stock. To the untrained eye the only think remotely noticeably not stock under my hood is the coated FMS Turd of a TMIC and the black forge recirc valve.

Still running stock wheels and tires and brakes. Albeit, every other bit of suspension is white line, Bilstein, STI, or Spec B alum though.

Am I leaving some power on the table? Sure, but I am more that pleased with the car as is.

Having said all that......The OEM intake tract, and cat back exhaust are not restrictions until well over 400 hp. Build the car right, get a great tuner (Dave from Cryo) and enjoy your completely OEM looking, almost OEM quiet car. I'll add that I daily drive my wagon, and routinely put 3000 miles a month on it for work all while getting 25 MPG.

Archived