LegacyGT.com

97 OB wagon tranny issue????

Hey folks!! I am looking at an OB limited wagon for sale. The car has an auto. Owner says he tried to drive it and there was a light on the cluster that says hot tranny. The car was cold and it slipped a little. Is this a bad tranny or a soloniod, sensor? The car was was cold when this happened.

Thanks dudes!!! I'm going to see it today. Car looks really clean. Heated leather and all options. 1200.00

the flashing AT Temp light at start up indicates an electrical problem in the trans. the most common problem is a bad duty c, but it could be any of the electronics in the trans.

there is a way to read the codes to identify the problem.

yeah srsly...vdub in da hous!

There is a reason why they are constantly sitting on the side of the streets broken.

The TDI's are something else. My friend she had a 01 passat? Damn thing was a shop dog.

VW's have the most problems I would say over any car.

Really? I know a lot of people who drive vw and Audi. They almost never break down. It's unbelievable! I can't remember the last time one of them said there car was broke. But, it's just an option. 800.00 for a 99? Even if I sold it for 1500 I'd make out. He was swapping seats and broke the body control module. The car won't start now because it's part of the imobilizer. 100.00 on eBay. And I have to finish the seat swap.

I'm supposed to check out that OB tomorrow. Hopefully!!!

Really? I know a lot of people who drive vw and Audi. They almost never break down. It's unbelievable! I can't remember the last time one of them said there car was broke.

Don't even get me started on my dad's Audi. I just drove 450 miles up from VA with 240,000 on my ODO. Had to chauffeur my dad around for the day when I got up here because his fuel pressure sensor decided to explode. Had to get the car towed. That car has been in the shop I dunno how many times in the past year. In the past 50,000 miles, I've had pretty much no issues other than regular maintenance. He's at 120,000 btw... which for an Audi is a LOT (which is sad.)

Funny story, this was the conversation when the tow-truck operator dropped his car off at the dealership:

Operator: I need the mileage on the car.

Me: 120,400

Operator: You've got 120,000 miles on this thing?!

*expression of disbelief as if the car was running solely on black magic and willpower*

Me: Well my car has 240,000....

Operator: What is it?

Me: Subaru Outback

Operator: Ah, yeah well those things will run forever. I made my wife get one.

Me: Yeah. No problems at all lately.

*Turn to my dad and give him a smug look*

Yeah that's true. I don't know how it runs. I'm just thinking that it's a cheap fixer upper that I could easily sell for a profit if I don't want to keep it. My brother in law has a 6 car garage loaded with vw/Audi parts. I told him the part that I need, he said he's got four or five of them. My true love is with subarus though. The guy with the OB hasn't called me like he said he would. Maybe he sold it. I hate looking for a car to buy!!!

Wish I could find my consumer report magazine I had from a couple months back. They talked about VW's being the most problematic and it was something like 90 out of 100 used VW's would break down within 6 months.

Plus I have had friends who's VW's have gone to hell. Perfect example. My ex g/f's mom has 2 VW's BOTH are which are not running sitting in her driveway. One won't start and the other idles rough as hell and dies. She even pays *$800* for tune ups on these cars and they still run like shit.

That's a testament to their "quality". I can now see why they had that thing going on earlier this year where you get free maintenance forever on the car.

On the other hand I have a friend with a 2000? Audi TT. That car has had some problems but nothing major.

My friend has a 2000 VW Jetta VR6. It is a great car, doesn't have any issues and it has 140,000 miles. I went with her to get it and the dealer was able to show us all the service records. I've come to the conclusion it is just the luck of the draw with vw's and Audi's..

Archived