LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

I'm not too worried about PW values. AVO and Peririn units hold a pretty consistent value on the used market. Less people than you would think find it worthwhile to drop $800+ on a new TMIC. If someone can get a great TMIC like the PW for 600-750 (depending on condition and completeness) for a discontinued LGT specific fitment, it will hold a nice niche between the mentioned pieces and the new GS offering.

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope i can make this work with my setup when it comes out, i would like to go back to tmic setup. as i dont think the power levels ill be aiming for can justify the use of my current Turboxs FMIC. Also means i can do a 08+ jdm front end swap and not have to butcher up another bumper to fit around FMIC :) Hope it lands this summer so :)

Today was the last straw, just bought a PW on ebay:cool:

Took forever to find one in stock, but I've already waited all winter for the GS model to come out:spin: I was told early spring/summer, now we're being told mid to late summer, I wish I could wait, and I'm sure the GS fitment will be great, but I had to buy the PW to get my car tuned and running properly.

I'll still consider selling my PW once the GS:wub: does come out though, just wish it wasn't such a hassle.

I suppose it IS a good sign GS is taking so much time for R&D though, it will probably be a cakewalk to install/uninstall.

Was that an authentic PW on eBay? Who's selling them?

Probably a lil off topic here, but I F'ing hope its authentic! Otherwise this guy will be in a storm of things he does not want to deal with, Me....ANGRY!:lol:

Here is his store though, it was the LAST one they had in stock, it seems everyone else is waiting for a PW shipment to arrive (2 weeks(ish))

http://www.ebay.com/usr/swagparts?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

This other guy was selling it for $20 cheaper! But I couldn't wait for him to get the item in stock.

http://stores.ebay.com/Circuit-Motorsports?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Swag parts legit. I've ordered several parts from him. One time he gave me an eta for out of stock parts and was on the money when they came in. Good communication too.

Oh and circuit motor sports is local here lol. They have a huge shop here.

Edited by ibr_adam09

Today was the last straw, just bought a PW on ebay:cool:

Took forever to find one in stock, but I've already waited all winter for the GS model to come out:spin: I was told early spring/summer, now we're being told mid to late summer, I wish I could wait, and I'm sure the GS fitment will be great, but I had to buy the PW to get my car tuned and running properly.

I'll still consider selling my PW once the GS:wub: does come out though, just wish it wasn't such a hassle.

I suppose it IS a good sign GS is taking so much time for R&D though, it will probably be a cakewalk to install/uninstall.

You do realize that the supplied splitter is not designed for LGT fitment. If you plan to use the splitter you will need to fabricate the mounting points. Also, there are different PW part nos. for 08+ WRX and for 4th gen Liberty. Hope it works out for you.

Update, but no dates of release:/

Alright guys, here's the best update I can give. There are a number of pieces that are now in the skilled hands of others (core manufacturing and end tank casting). The great thing about this is that these guys are some of the best in the world and I know that we can't count on them to deliver killer parts. The drawback, though unavoidable, is that the timeline is a bit out of my immediate control. When it comes to things like casting, the development of the tooling and parts can be an iterative process, especially when pressure-tight castings are a requirement.

Here's the other tidbit. Part of the reason for some of the delay was that I wanted to get my hands on a 2015 WRX. I've made some slight changes and with those, I'm confident that this TMIC will be able to be fitting to the newer cars. What that means for you, even though you may not own one, is that I can project higher sales volume, run larger production batches and in doing so, be more aggressive with pricing. The other thing this means is that these TMICs will hold their used value for a whole lot longer.

So, by now it's probably obvious that I won't give you a real date because I simply don't have one. Believe me though, with the amount of R&D and resources we have tied up in the development, tooling and production of these, we are more eager than anyone to begin shipping!

I know it's hard to wait and I wish I could give you a real release date. I'm doing my best to be transparent about the whole process, but the truth is, there's a lot of uncertainty involved. Most/all of the competing products are designed in-house and then sent off to be completely manufactured off-site. This can facilitate a faster production cycle, but it also means that the responsibility for quality and craftsmanship is passed along to an outside supplier. If we've learned anything in the time that we've been developing these products, it's that nobody holds themselves to a higher standard than we do. When they're complete, each end tank and core is cleaned and inspected before being welded up, pressure tested and sealed. When you outsource that, you lose control of the process. For some things this is an acceptable risk, but for an intercooler, it is out of the question for us. The upside is that as soon as parts start rolling off the line, I'll have loads of badass pictures and video!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

Is this intercooler going to 100% for sure fit both lgt and sti style turbos like the PW? I'm kinda antsy and want to get my turbo while I can at the moment and I want to be sure I wont screw myself getting and sti style.

As you can see...yes. It will just be a difference of a silicone coupler.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/tmic_subaru_08_teaser5.jpg

He meant "can."

:redface:

It was nice to see an actual update instead of more PW talk :)

:)

C'mon now, we only have conjecture and other vendor's i.c. discussion to fill in dead air. ;)

:lol:

Did it upset you to see the thread being bumped with the hopes and dreams it's regarding new information for the grimmspeed unit but it's only about us talking about the beaten to death pw ?:lol:

Haha, sorry guys!

Is this intercooler going to 100% for sure fit both lgt and sti style turbos like the PW? I'm kinda antsy and want to get my turbo while I can at the moment and I want to be sure I wont screw myself getting and sti style.

Yes!

I believe that was one of their requirements when designing this thing from the very first post.

Yes!

As you can see...yes. It will just be a difference of a silicone coupler.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/tmic_subaru_08_teaser5.jpg

YES!

Not to mention, I had already asked that question.. and it was already answered earlier this month lol

Yep, will definitely fit the lgt and sti style turbos!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

I owe you guys some new photos! I got a batch of cores for final inspection this morning, so now that the cores are nailed down, I can share real pictures! These things are turning out AWESOME. We're welding up prototype end tanks to do some final flow testing and I'll share that process with you guys at an appropriate time as well!

Can you tell that I'm excited to have real parts!? If you take a look at the second and third picture, it's not hard to tell that we're taking a fundamentally different approach than some of our competitors when it comes to fin density and flow area. With some creative design changes and tight manufacturing tolerances, we've been able to use fin density that is about twice as high and at the same time, increase the flow area by nearly a factor of two, providing much greater cooling potential as well as a gain in flow and what I'm sure will be a much lower pressure drop.

Matt Beenen

Engineering

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/tmic_subaru_08_core1.jpg

GrimmSpeed core on the top, other on the bottom.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/tmic_subaru_08_core3.jpg

Other core on top, GrimmSpeed on the bottom.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/tmic_subaru_08_core4.jpg