LegacyGT.com

Diagnosing steering issue

This is my first post on this forum. I have done a few searches and found everyone to be knowledgable.

I recently bought an 06 Legacy Wagon for my daughter. It's my first Subaru but I really like it. It has 119K on it and just had the head gaskets and timing belt done. It is overall in excellent shape and I have begun to go through it so it will be ready when she gets her license in a few months.

The car came with a leaking power steering pump, which I replaced after flushing out the old fluid. Both before and after the pump change, the steering is very vague and sloppy. I can feel vibration in the steering wheel with the car in park when I turn it from side to side. On a highway offramp, I have to correct steering and feel that the steering wheel gives uneven feedback. It feels like it skips or has multiple air bubbles or something. There is no foam in the reservoir, no noise from the pump and the belt is new and tight. I went under the car and the lower control arm bushings, tie rod ends, and ball joints (while not new) have no play. (I also did the front wheel drive fuse test and the symptoms did not go away).

Although the steering rack has no leaks, I suspect it to be the culprit. Yes, I could replace the rack, the hoses and the lower control arms, but really don't want to throw another grand into it just to diagnose the problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

I don't have a good solution for you, but I thought I'd chime in cuz this issue hits close to home. lol

I am plagued with power steering issues on this car. I get the same 'stutter' and I've replaced my power steering pump 3 times due to leaks. Currently still leaking too!

The stutter feels kind of like a windshield wiper skipping across a semi-dry windshield.

I also replaced the steering rack bushings with the whiteline ones while I had the rack out for a different project. That didn't make a difference either. Little side note - OEM bushings are better and stiffer, these white line ones as soft and sloppy.

I have considered changing my steering rack also. I feel like something on the inside is worn out. I have done a little research, and if I do change it, I'm going for a new OEM rack. These remanufactured units don't get good reviews. Although cheaper, likely a waste of money.

You are right, this is a pricey job to just go troubleshooting on. That's why I haven't done it either. Good luck, please follow up if you find a solution.

Yes, I read this thread and should have said that. I also should have said that the symptoms are the same before and after I replaced all four tires and had an alignment done.

I wish there was a way to test the rack without removing it. It almost feels like a sticking valve somewhere in the steering box.

Here are some things I've done

Replace O-ring on stock pump

Replaced entire pump with reman-Napa (lifetime warranty)

Whiteline steering rack bushings

Cusco Steering rack brace

STI solid steering linkage (alternative is the Perrin dampener lock down)

There is still some wonkiness and some small leakage was potentially identified at the rack

It feels pretty decent right now. But have on my list a new rack or trying that 2015 STI rack swap.

Of note, when I had my soft rubber winter tires on, steering sloppiness was greatly magnified.

Whatever you do, don't buy a REMAN rack from NAPA.

I did, and it only lasted for 1.5 years before leaking all over the place. They gave me another one, but with additional labor and another alignment it still sucks.

I second the vote of caution on a reman rack. Check out this video. Lots of good info.

but if you don't want to watch it all (20+mins) At around 13min mark he compares two racks. One is obviously a POS.

I love this guys videos, he does lots of subaru stuff. Always explains everything very well.

• 1 month later...

Did you replace the entire lower control arm or just the bushing? Did you replace it with a stock control arm or one of the aluminum ones from Spec B.

Do you know what LCA bushing is in there. Is it stock or aftermarket like a Whiteline.

I've had some steering issues and speculate that it started when I had my lower control arm bushings replaced with Whitelines, but I can't remember if I had the issue before the bushings were replaced.

Did you replace the entire lower control arm or just the bushing? Did you replace it with a stock control arm or one of the aluminum ones from Spec B.

Do you know what LCA bushing is in there. Is it stock or aftermarket like a Whiteline.

I've had some steering issues and speculate that it started when I had my lower control arm bushings replaced with Whitelines, but I can't remember if I had the issue before the bushings were replaced.

I replaced both entire control arms with aluminum versions available from Rockauto (recommended by my mechanic and about $100 each). These come with ball joints and bushings already installed. The old ones were likely original to the car. I suspect the new arms and bushings are close to OEM specs, which in my case is an upgrade from 10 year old parts.

Had I done more research, I would have bought both steering knuckles, which you can get for about $150 OEM each. The ball joint pinch bolts snapped on both sides, requiring drilling and a new through bolt. However, even with those bolts finally removed, I was not able to budge the ball joints, and had to take it to my mechanic for help.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

1 year later...

While my initial efforts at replacing front suspension consumables improved steering feel, the problem was never fully resolved. Tired of getting annoyed every time I drove the car, I finally decided to have the rack replaced. My mechanic installed a Maval reman and I am very happy with the result. Steering feel and feedback are greatly improved - no more dead spots or "corrections" during long sweeping turns. While I bought this car (very) used and do not know what it felt like when new, I suspect it is fairly close.

Knock on wood, this car has been a great choice for my daughter's first car - I would definitely buy it again.

1 year later...

While my initial efforts at replacing front suspension consumables improved steering feel, the problem was never fully resolved. Tired of getting annoyed every time I drove the car, I finally decided to have the rack replaced. My mechanic installed a Maval reman and I am very happy with the result. Steering feel and feedback are greatly improved - no more dead spots or "corrections" during long sweeping turns. While I bought this car (very) used and do not know what it felt like when new, I suspect it is fairly close.

Knock on wood, this car has been a great choice for my daughter's first car - I would definitely buy it again.

Where did you get the rack from? Cost?

How much time/cost did your mechanic charge for the install?

Was an alignment required?

Thanks

Where did you get the rack from? Cost?

How much time/cost did your mechanic charge for the install?

Was an alignment required?

Thanks

http://www.mavalgear.com/

yes you should have an alignment done.

I'd guess 2-3 hours labor

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived