LegacyGT.com

Tire question - 235-45-17 fit?

rexilla

Will 235-45-17 tires fit my standard 2005 GT wheels?

Standard tires are 215-45-17 but I've just been given a free set of 235s. My local tire store seems to think they "should fit".

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers

As per Xenonk:

195mm = 6.5", 7" and 7.5"

205mm = 6.5", 7" and 7.5"

215mm = 6.5", 7", 7.5" and 8"

225mm = 7", 7.5", and 8"

235mm = 8", 8.5", and 9"

245mm = 8", 8.5", and 9"

255mm = 8.5", 9", and 9.5"

265mm = 8.5", 9", and 9.5"

275mm = 9" and 9.5"

285mm = 9" and 9.5"

Also:

17 in. rims:

205/40/17 (only for SUPER FAST acceleration and torque; for autocrossing only, do not use for daily driving)

205/45/17 (only for FAST acceleration and torque; for autocrossing only , do not use for daily driving)

205/50/17 (good for snow rally)

215/45/17 (stock)

225/45/17 (good autocross performance tire size for gearing, more mph per gear)

235/40/17 (good autocross performance tire size for torque, more acceleration)

235/45/17 (tallest tire you could use under the GT due to possible suspension clearance issues, best used with an 8" wide wheel)

245/40/17 (good autocross performance tire size for traction, will need to have a flatter alignment to make use of the grip)

255/40/17 (maximum grip, good for track days, will need a 9" rim to make use of the contact patch and a good alignment as well).

Source: Keefe (Xenonk)

He has a full guide written: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

Hey Rexilla,

One thing you'll find about LGT.com is that there's a WEALTH of information here, and lots of nice FAQs and great info. Your question would be better served in the "Wheels/Tires" Sub-Forum :)...

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43

And, you'll find a great FAQ that answers all your questions and shows you ALL the wide tires you can fit on various Wheel sizes, like the Uber-FAQ by Xenonk:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

(Also in the Tire forum ;).

Enjoy~

Wouldn't the sidewalls be mushy though?

And won't it look:

( )

||

( )

like this ^^^ when mounted?

I'd love to go 235 on the stock rim but I always thought the sidewalls would be too soft.

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
How about if you're trying to go with a thicker sidewall? I live on Long Island and 45s are way too thin, I've gone through about 16 tires since the new year. If I want to keep it wide will I have to roll the fenders? 205 is a little narrow for summer driving. I want to go at least 50 or 55 preferably 60.

When you say OB suspension, do you mean subframe\spacers, and adjustable endlinks? Or the entire suspension? I just installed brand new shocks, perrin front end links, kartboy rear endlinks, Spec B control\trailing arms with Whiteline and Perrin PSRS bushings, Spec B Lateral Links, Whiteline Rear lower control arms, Whiteline Diff cradle bushing\new cradle, AVO reinforcement bracket\rear sway, Perrin front sway. Could I just install subframe spacers from the OB, and use 1" spacers on the strut tophat? Maybe space the wheels for tire\strut clearance?

He's referring mainly to the shocks/struts. The height limitation comes from hitting the spring perch on the strut. Spacers will raise the car, but won’t increase the clearance between the tire and the strut itself.

Coilovers are another possible option; they have smaller spring perches and thus more clearance. Or swapping smaller breaks (WRX 4-pots?) so you can run 16’ wheels.

Got it, so with stock size end links, I will still be able to use OB struts/springs? Any coilovers for the OB that you know will fit the 05LGT? And should I use those spacers for the tophat and subframe anyway? I'm asking because I heard you need those to run a taller suspension.

Archived