LegacyGT.com

Turbo not spinning 05 LGT limited

Dimarco

I have been having an issue with my turbo at least twice. The first time I took it into Subaru dealership in July 2012 because I would accelerate and they car would barely go; I could not even hear my BOV. They diagnosed it and they told me my inlet pipe was bad. I bought my car from Courtesy Chrysler Dodge Jeep in Coatesville, Pennsylvania and I got the extended warranty. Well, they said that part isnt covered under my warranty so I have to pay out of pocket. The dealer quoted me $1,200 [labour included] to fix it. I obviously said hell no. I took it to a mechanic shop and he compressed it with air, and the car started driving back to normal.

So today, me and one of my mates drove to the store, car was driving fine. Once we started driving back, car did not want to accelerate [same issue as before]. I Googled same problem with my car and a lot of people are having inlet pipe issues; Seems to be normal with Subarus. I hope it isnt a turbo replacement [which is covered under my warranty] but I plan on buying a Perrin inlet piple and a Perrin hard hose intake in a few days, because the intake that came with the car has a hole in it and its just dingy and dirty looking.

Anyone have any idea to what could be causing this to happen? I am a new Subi owner so I dont really know too much about whats normal or what to expect with these cars to be honest.

Thanks!

Rethink a metal (hard) inlet tube as some have reported issues with it affecting the knock sensor which lies right along side the tube under the intake manifold. The stock inlet pipe degrads over time so either replace it with another stock one, or get one of the AM Perrin, AVO, GMS, etc. ones to replace it.

As far as the turbo NOT spinning, that should be replaced asap.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks! When I took it to the dealership they said the air wasnt getting to the the turbo thats why it would stop working properly. I have it covered under my warranty, so I was thinking change the inlet pipe first then if it happens again, I will take it back to the dealership and tell them how wrong they were and make them fix my turbo.

That's messed up. Because exhaust gas turns your turbo, whether air is coming into the compressor side or not, so if it's not turning, then there's something wrong with the turbine (hot) side. And, if the inlet pipe is torn, then the compressor is getting air, if not completely through the pipe, definitely through the pipe and the tear. The only way the compressor wouldn't get air is if the inlet pipe is completely collapsed on itself.

Sounds like it's definitely an issue with the turbo. Replace the turbo inlet and get it in for repair

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

That is messed up, I don't think they really knew what they were talking about to be honest. You'd think they did since they specialize in Subarus. I am going to go to a different dealership not the same one. Thanks for the knowledge lol. This is my first turbo car so I dont really know much about turbos.

You better check your oil for metal shavings. Hope you do NOT find any. I would have to say your turbo is toast.

I plan on taking it to the dealer this week. I have been complaining about this since I've had it and they told me inlet pipe. But I have been seeing just a little white smoke from my exhaust [and that was when it was summer], now I am smelling a carbon like smell when I have the windows down. It also burns through oil pretty fast, maybe there could be a leak somewhere?

$1200 for an inlet tube, wtf? They are $100, and can be installed in about an hour or two max...without removing the intake manifold. I would VERY leery of that dealer.

Yeah they were ridiculous and the service guy wasnt professional as well. He was a complete example of a "douche". Definitely going to another dealership this week.

Yeah they were ridiculous and the service guy wasnt professional as well. He was a complete example of a "douche". Definitely going to another dealership this week.

I would seek out a local tuner shop.

If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

Archived