LegacyGT.com

How to Buy a New Subaru at 2% Below Dealer Invoice Without Haggling

Jon in CT

It's called the Subaru VIP Partners Program. Below is a list of Subaru marketing affiliates whose members, six months after enrolling, can purchase new Subarus at 2% below dealer invoice:

American Association for the Advancement of Science

American Association of Snowboard Instructors

American Canoe Association

American Cross Country Skiers

American Meteorological Society

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association

American Veterinary Medical Association

Colorado Tennis Association

Crescent Ski Council (members of 22 ski clubs eligible)

Geological Society of America

International Mountain Bicycling Association

Leave No Trace

Mount Washington Observatory

National Ski Patrol

Pennsylvania Horticultural Society

Professional Ski Instructors of America

Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association

Make sure to inquire, before joining, whether the Subaru VIP Partners pricing membership benefit is still available.

Here are details about how the program works:

THE SUBARU OF AMERICA (SOA) VIP PARTNERS PROGRAM

Introduction

The VIP Partners Program is a Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) corporate program offering eligible SOA marketing affiliate members the opportunity to purchase or lease new Subaru vehicles at2% below dealer invoice cost.

Eligibility:

Any VIP Partners customer must be an active member of the SOA marketing affiliate for a minimum of 6 consecutive months. The VIP dealer visit authorization forms are issued only to eligible affiliate members and their spouse or domestic partner residing in the same household (address verification required).

The VIP Partners Program offer is non-transferable and does not extend to the member's relatives such as parents, siblings, children, etc.

VIP Partners customers are limited to two (2) new vehicles within a 12-month time period.

The Dealer Visit Authorization form does not obligate the member to purchase or lease a new Subaru; it does, however, inform the dealership that the member is entitled to VIP pricing.

Procedures

To participate in the VIP Program:

1. Marketing affiliate members must receive an approved VIP Dealer Visit Authorization form PRIOR to visiting a participating Subaru dealer.

2. Members must contact their affiliate's membership office to request a dealer visit authorization form.

3. The affiliate membership office will verify the customer's membership status.

4. The member will be asked their name, membership ID number, address, telephone number and choice of participating dealer.

5. The affiliate membership services office employee will log on to the VIP website at http://www.vip.subaru.com using their affiliate e-mail address. The membership services office will complete the Dealer Visit Authorization form on line and submit it to the VIP Partners Program at SOA for processing.

Upon receipt, SOA will mail the SOA approved Dealer Visit Authorization form directly to the member. As an introduction to the dealer, SOA will also fax a copy of the Dealer Visit Authorization form directly to the dealer. The authorization form is non-transferable and will expire in 45 days from the date of the letter. The member must take the form to the participating dealer indicated on the form. We ask that the member wait until the form is received before visiting Subaru dealers. The form must be presented to the participating participating dealer contact person (Noted on the Dealer Authorization form) upon entry into the dealership.

Dealer Selection

VIP customers select the dealer of their choice, generally based upon customer proximity and convenient servicing. Should the customer not have a dealer preference, SOA will select the closest participating dealer based on the customer's zip code. Customers may visit the Subaru website at http://www.Subaru.com to locate their closest dealer.

All VIP sales must be conducted by an authorized and participating Subaru dealer. The VIP Program is available in all states except Hawaii.

Pricing

VIP pricing for purchase transactions is based upon 2% below dealer invoice cost for the vehicle and factory installed accessories as invoiced and delivered to the dealer by SOA. This is the non-negotiable base price for all customers with proper VIP Program authorization.

The VIP price is further reduced by all applicable regional dealer or customer incentives or dealer cash, if applicable.

The special pricing under the VIP program cannot be combined with any other Subaru of America, Inc. promotional offers, coupons (such as auto show or internet coupons) or direct mail offers or vouchers (except Subaru MasterCard® points).

The VIP Partners customer will be responsible for all applicable federal, state and local taxes and license and municipality registration fees. Any customary dealer administrative, advertising and/or trade fees are additional.

Leasing

Capitalization cost is 2% below dealer invoice cost for the vehicle and factory installed accessories, less any regional customer or dealer incentives or dealer cash, if applicable with current lease program. Dealers cannot mark up the rate. The lease can be structured with a zero down payment for applicants with an acceptable credit history. A security deposit and first month's payment in advance is required.

Accessory Pricing

For accessories that are added to the vehicle at the factory, the price to the VIP customer is 2% below dealer invoice. The dealer will determine the price of any accessories that are added after the vehicle has arrived at the dealership, as the dealer will incur procurement and labor costs to obtain and install such accessories.

Vehicle Availability

All new Subaru models are included in the VIP Program, subject to availability and dealer discretion. At the dealer's election, the Subaru vehicle may be secured from the dealer's new vehicle inventory,located and procured from a nearby dealer's inventory or ordered from SOA. From time-to-time, new models may be temporarily held from the VIP Program until dealer inventories are sufficient to accommodate VIP customers. During these time, dealers are asked to place a sold order.

New Subaru vehicles are those never titled, not previously reported sold and generally have less than 100 miles. Dealer demos and used vehicles are excluded from the VIP Partners Program.

Trade-ins

Generally, most dealers will accept trade-ins. The participating dealer determines the value of the trade. As you are purchasing or leasing a new vehicle at dealer cost, you should expect no more than a wholesale offer for your trade. VIP customers with trades should consider the benefit of selling their trade privately.

Financing

Financing arrangements, if any, will be determined in the usual manner with the dealer and will be subject to the standard credit approval practices at the dealership. From time to time, SOA does offer low rate financing on select Subaru models. VIP customers are eligible to take advantage of any special low rate financing offers in effect at the time of purchase should they be available.

Subaru Added Security

The cost of Subaru Added Security contracts will be determined by the dealership and agreed to jointly by the participating dealer and the VIP Partners customer.

Disclaimers

• The special VIP Partners pricing does not apply to sales made prior to receipt of the approved dealer visit authorization form.
  • In order to obtain VIP Partners pricing, the member must follow the procedures as outlined herein by possessing a VIP Partners Authorization Form prior to communicating with a dealership. It is not the intention or purpose of the program to interfere with any pricing negotiations currently underway between a dealership and a customer who has previously visited the dealer without the form. In such situations, the VIP Partners Program does not apply.
  • Participation in the VIP program recognizes the relationship between Subaru of America, Inc. and the VIP participant. Inclusion in the program is a privilege and accordingly, at its sole discretion, Subaru of America, Inc. may at any time exclude an individual from the VIP program.
  • The VIP Partners Program will remain in effect until such time as modified by SOA.

FAQ

Q - What is the VIP Partners Program?

A - The VIP Partners Program is a Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) corporate program designed to allow eligible members of SOA marketing affiliates the ability to purchase or lease new Subaru vehicles through a dealership at a no-haggle price of 2% below dealer invoice cost.

Q - How does the VIP Program work?

A - To participate in the VIP Program, an eligible member must request a dealer visit authorization form PRIOR to visiting a dealer. To request a form, the eligible member must contact their membership services office. The membership services office will verify the current membership status of the participant and then forward the request to SOA headquarters for processing. Within a few days, the VIP dealer visit authorization form will be mailed directly to the approved member. The form will include the dealership name, telephone number and contact person. A copy of the VIP form will also be faxed to the participating dealer. The form does not obligate the member to purchase a Subaru. The intention of the form is to alert the dealership to the fact that the customer is entitled to VIP pricing.

Q - Who is eligible to participate in the VIP Program?

A - Any VIP customer must be an active member of the SOA marketing affiliate for a minimum of 6 consecutive months. Immediate family members, including spouse and domestic partner residing in the same household are also eligible for VIP pricing, subject to dealer verification of member status and address. The VIP Partners Program offer is non-transferable and does not extend to the member's relatives such as parents, siblings, children, etc.

Q - Are used Subarus also included in the VIP Program?

A - No. The VIP program only applies to new, unused vehicles. New Subaru vehicles are those never titled, not previously reported sold and generally have less than 100 miles.

Q –Can I visit more than one dealer?

A – Under the VIP Program, pricing from dealer to dealer is standardized at 2% below dealer invoice, so there is no need to shop around - just choose the participating dealer that is most convenient for servicing.

Q – Will I be able to purchase accessories at 2% under dealer invoice price?

A – For accessories that are factory-installed on the vehicle, the price would be 2% below dealer invoice. The dealer will determine the price of any accessories that are added after the vehicle has arrived at the dealership, as the dealer will incur labor costs to install such accessories.

Q - Can I lease a new Subaru under the VIP program?

A - Yes, the capitalization cost of the vehicle on the lease will be 2% below dealer invoice. Leases can be structured for our VIP customers with an acceptable credit history with a zero down payment. However, a security deposit and first month's payment are required.

Q - Will dealers accept my current vehicle as a trade in under the VIP program?

A - Yes, most dealers will accept trade-ins. The participating dealer determines the value of the trade. Because you are purchasing a new vehicle at dealer cost, you should expect no more than a wholesale offer for your trade. Customers with trades should consider the benefit of selling their trade-in privately.

CONTACT INFORMATION

PHONE: 1-800-VIP-0933 (1-800-847-0933) Hours 8:30 AM to 5 PM Eastern Time

FAX: 856-488-8545

E-MAIL: vipprogram@subaru.com

POSTAL:

Subaru of America, Inc.

c/o VIP Program

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

08/2006

Edited by Jon [in CT]
Emphasize warning

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"All new Subaru models are included in the VIP Program, subject to availability and dealer discretion." That may mean that the dealer could exclude a spec.B, for example, and other models that we'd like to acquire.

"All new Subaru models are included in the VIP Program, subject to availability and dealer discretion." That may mean that the dealer could exclude a spec.B, for example, and other models that we'd like to acquire.
I think it is within the rules to call a dealership and ask the sales manager whether he's willing to sell a particular model under the terms of the Subaru VIP Partners program before you request the Dealer Visit Authorization form. If the sales manager says "No," start calling other dealerships.

I did this when I was buying my 2006 spec.B in October, 2005. There were only 500 made and there are about 600 Subaru dealerships in the US. The sales manager told me that if he was allocated two of them, he'd sell me one under the VIP Partners program. Luckily for me I was dealing with the #5 Subaru dealership in the country in terms of volume last year and he was allocated two spec.Bs.

Seems much easier to haggle.
I see you got a good offer recently on a 2007 spec.B, $500 below invoice (see http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58164). Sometimes if you wait until very late in the model year, like it is now, you can get some good deals. But you have to settle for what's left and might end up paying for something you don't want, like a spoiler.

You'd pay less for that 2007 spec.B under the VIP Partners program. Plus you don't have to wait until the end of the model year to buy your new Subaru. You'd have the option of ordering a 2008 spec.B factory equipped with the exact options you want. I'm pretty sure that dealer isn't offering to sell you a 2008 spec.B at $500 below invoice.

;1085788']I see you got a good offer recently on a 2007 spec.B, $500 below invoice (see http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58164). Sometimes if you wait until very late in the model year, like it is now, you can get some good deals. But you have to settle for what's left and might end up paying for something you don't want, like a spoiler.

You'd pay less for that 2007 spec.B under the VIP Partners program. Plus you don't have to wait until the end of the model year to buy your new Subaru. You'd have the option of ordering a 2008 spec.B factory equipped with the exact options you want. I'm pretty sure that dealer isn't offering to sell you a 2008 spec.B at $500 below invoice.

Very true

lol

Just to establish a bit more clarity:

Is Dealer Invoice the same as the Invoice we see on cars101.com and other sites reporting Invoice? Just want to make sure they're the same and if not what the differences would be. Thanks Jon! :D

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Just to establish a bit more clarity:

Is Dealer Invoice the same as the Invoice we see on cars101.com and other sites reporting Invoice? Just want to make sure they're the same and if not what the differences would be. Thanks Jon! :D

That's right...they're the same.

I used the VIP program to get my car back in October. It was really easy and straightforward. I joined the Leave No Trace program early last year. Leave No Trace offers an introductory membership for the first year for only $15.

I too bought my car this way and haggled a bit more to get a great deal. I paid well under invoice when all was said and done.

Also look for sports events sponsored by Subaru. For taking part, you can also get the VIP discount.

Only downside is they typically omit the STI models from eligibility. But, since the Legacy STI wasn't coming over anyway, not too big a deal for me.

Is the 2% below invoice new for this year? I ask this because I've used the VIP program to buy two Subies (02 WRX, 05 STi) and lease an 04 Forester XT. The three times I used the program I got the cars at invoice not 2% below. Does anyone know if the program has changed recently? I was hoping to get a specB (or LSTi:cool: ) with the program when the FXT lease is up in October.

The company I work for qualifies me for the supplier program, which as far as I know is the same ol' VIP program. Perhaps there's two VIP program levels? Can anyone enlighten me on this?

My (admittedly limited) understanding of the program is that SOA basically sends a check to the dealer for sales under the VIP program to help offset the effects of the reduced price. Does anyone know exactly how much the dealer actually gets back from SOA?

I'm thinking that you could haggle a low price before mentioning VIP pricing, and then split the check with the dealer to get a net price below regular VIP pricing.

Sounds like a great deal. My question is, if you are buying an 2007 when the 2008 are starting to arrive.

Will they give you more of a price break on the 2007 model(possibly a demo) because you belong to VIP program and they are trying to get rid of the car to make room for the 2008's?

i don't see it on there, but for the VIP programs that I checked (and almost all of those up on the list) they require membership for 6 months to qualify for the VIP program. The 2007 STI Limited is excluded, but that is the only model that the VIP program won't apply. Our 2007 STI enroute will be purchased through the VIP program and possibly one additional vehicle within this year or beginning of next. Plus, it give $150 per vehicle purchased back to the organization you belong. :)
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Sounds like a great deal. My question is, if you are buying an 2007 when the 2008 are starting to arrive.

Will they give you more of a price break on the 2007 model(possibly a demo) because you belong to VIP program and they are trying to get rid of the car to make room for the 2008's?

it must be a NEW vehicle. demo's are considered used and not new.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Is the 2% below invoice new for this year? I ask this because I've used the VIP program to buy two Subies (02 WRX, 05 STi) and lease an 04 Forester XT. The three times I used the program I got the cars at invoice not 2% below. Does anyone know if the program has changed recently? I was hoping to get a specB (or LSTi:cool: ) with the program when the FXT lease is up in October.

The company I work for qualifies me for the supplier program, which as far as I know is the same ol' VIP program. Perhaps there's two VIP program levels? Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Yes, there are two levels of the VIP program. Not sure if it's new this year, but suppliers do get 2% below invoice.

I wrote to the VIP customer service and they replied back with the following:

Thank you for your interest in the Subaru VIP program.

As an employee of <insert the company name here> you can purchase or lease a new Subaru at invoice pricing.

Please contact me if you should have any additional questions.

I also checked every one of the links that Jon [in CT] provided and the only one that mentioned a 2% BELOW invoice was the National Gardening Association.

All the others eluded to INVOICE pricing/or dealer cost.

I've re-emailed the VIP program people asking if this NGA membership will still get you 2% below invoice. If so, it looks like it's $19.95 per year to join and you've gotta be a green thumb for at least 6 months to qualify for the discount. I'll report back what the VIP program people say. If this is still valid, it'd be another $643.58 (destination charge included) for a no-optioned specB. I'm calculating about $541.66 off a GT (invoice - 2%). Not a bad way to spend a Jackson if it's still a valid offer.

I'll report back what the VIP peeps say.

I received a reply from the VIP Program after asking specifically if the "National Gardening Association" membership got 2% below invoice pricing and the response I got back was:

Thank you for your loyalty as a Subaru customer and for your continued

interest in the SOA VIP Program. As previously indicated, eligible

employees of <insert company name> are entitled to purchase or lease a Subaru

vehicle at special pricing. If you are interested in receiving a Dealer

Visit Authorization, please contact SOA VIP Program Headquarters at your

convenience.

However, please be advised that it is not our policy to disclose

information relating to third party vendors or organizations.

Again, thank you for your interest in Subaru and feel free to contact me

should you require any additional information.

Since the VIP people didn't say "No", I'm going to assume that means "Yes", so off I go to join up with the "National Gardening Association". After reading about them on their website it appears to be a worthwhile oraganization so what the heck. Plant a tree so I can get a Spec.B!:lol:

By the way, there appears to be a VIP Supplier Program (which I can get through work) and also the VIP Partner Program. Both probably vary in their discounts depending on which of those programs you qualify for.

I hope this info helps some people and if anyone knows anything else, please elaborate.

Ta ta, I'm off to the garden.....;)