LegacyGT.com

Clunk/Bump below 30 mph, ideas?

OK this just started. At speeds below 30 mph I'm hearing a intermittent clunk or bump sound it does not do it continuously and sometimes when I hit bumps or imperfections in the road. It will do intermittently if I move the steering wheel back and forth rapidly too!

I got under the car and inspected all suspension parts ( they all look great, RSB, F/R end-links were replaced 1 1/2 years ago) if the car is parked and I try to bounce the front end I get no sound whatsoever. Car has 91k, thx guys the sounds are driving me crazy, they aren't real loud either if the radio is up I don't hear them.

Yes to all, check torque on everything? Makes sense.

Good luck. It'll probably take longer to find all of the torque-specs than it will to check everything.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

All DWS's were wearing evenly, just faster than they should have, received a nice credit and replaced them with MSP AS3's 1500 miles ago they are fine too.

Will be checking torque on suspension parts tomorrow, will update too, all suggestions are appreciated.

You've checked your Lower Control Arm bushings? They tend to crack and rip around 60k. Yes, 60k, they go fast. Mine are damaged at 86k miles and i'm getting a slight clunk over bumps. Any tear down the bushing, or missing chunks of the bushings will cause louder clunks over bumps. So inspect them closely, a good bushing will have ZERO tears or cracks. (Also, while you're down there, check your passenger side inner CV boot [closest to the trans] :p those like to fail around your milage.)

That's odd that you're not hearing any clunk when you reef on the sway bar, my endlinks were loose, and clunked if I slalomed the car, tightening them fixed the issue.

I don't really have much more useful information to add than that, sorry if I couldn't be helpful.

Pulled on the sway bars really hard they seem fine.

There is no way that you, pulling on a sway bar, can replicate the forces that are generated when the weight of the car shifts back and forth.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

There is no way that you, pulling on a sway bar, can replicate the forces that are generated when the weight of the car shifts back and forth.

Will get under tomorrow and make sure everything is torqued to spec. The car will be on ramps. Code, are saying you think it has something to do with the FSB or links? Wonder why bumps and turning or cranking the wheel from side to side has no affect after 30 mph!

You've checked your Lower Control Arm bushings? They tend to crack and rip around 60k. Yes, 60k, they go fast. Mine are damaged at 86k miles and i'm getting a slight clunk over bumps. Any tear down the bushing, or missing chunks of the bushings will cause louder clunks over bumps. So inspect them closely, a good bushing will have ZERO tears or cracks. (Also, while you're down there, check your passenger side inner CV boot [closest to the trans] :p those like to fail around your milage.)

That's odd that you're not hearing any clunk when you reef on the sway bar, my endlinks were loose, and clunked if I slalomed the car, tightening them fixed the issue.

I don't really have much more useful information to add than that, sorry if I couldn't be helpful.

Yes I checked the LCA's will do so again tomorrow. thx.:) CV boots looked good too.

Archived