LegacyGT.com

Clicking/rattling from rear during slow turns.

pdw

Car is an '05 Legacy GT w/manual transmission with 65k miles.

While making slow turns, like out of a side street or in a parking lot, with light acceleration, I hear a clicking noise out of the rear end. There are no noises while going straight.

The sound could easily be taken for a bad CV joint except that I've inspected all the boots, both front and rear, and they're all in good shape.

I'm thinking it's the rear differential but is there any known history of them failing like this? The car isn't abused at all. Anyone else having a similar problem?

Thanks.

Is your noise only once or does it keep going ?

Most likely end lind links on the sway bars. It's normally the front ones that go.

I could hear a clunking noise when I turned in or out of my driveway or rolling down the driveway and hit a crack in the asphalt.

Do not replace them with OEM style end links. Cut those POS's off and buy some real end links that use nut's and bolts. I used a cut off wheel to remove the old end links.

Check the suspension forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The noise keeps going pretty much through the radius of the turn. So, if I turn 90 degrees through a 25' radius, I hear the clicking through most of that (so where the dot is the click it's like ... ... .. ..... .. ...). For that reason, I was concentrating on something rotational but the sway bar comes into play during a turn like that also, so I'll look at that also.

Thanks.

Is your noise only once or does it keep going ?

Most likely end lind links on the sway bars. It's normally the front ones that go.

I could hear a clunking noise when I turned in or out of my driveway or rolling down the driveway and hit a crack in the asphalt.

Do not replace them with OEM style end links. Cut those POS's off and buy some real end links that use nut's and bolts. I used a cut off wheel to remove the old end links.

Check the suspension forum.

I'm having the exact same issue. It has been perplexing me for months. I even took it to a dealership and they couldn't diagnose it. I will be taking it back to the dealer A.S.A.P. with this new information.

So same exact symptoms? How many miles on your car?

I've been thinking of trying to rig up a mechanics stethoscope with zip ties and splice in a long tube so I can hear exactly what's going on (obviously while driving slowly and with careful attachment).

Anyway, keep me informed. Thanks.

I'm having the exact same issue. It has been perplexing me for months. I even took it to a dealership and they couldn't diagnose it. I will be taking it back to the dealer A.S.A.P. with this new information.

Have you guys done your 30k/60k rear diffy fluid change?

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Have you guys done your 30k/60k rear diffy fluid change?

That'd be where I start, it sounds like the problem I had when I had my '05 STI. Would hear a clicking sound when turning but that's it, thought it was a bushing or bearing and took it to the dealership and 2 dealerships said they found nothing. 3rd time's a charm I guess when I went to a different dealer and they told me it's coming from the differential. Good luck in the diagnosis though

You gotta push your limits to learn your limits:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

i have this noise too. I bought my 08 Spec.B from carmax and it already had cobb front and rear bars, cobb endlinks and the cobb sport springs.

my Car is only at 30k miles. Do you think i'll need to replace my end links already. It really drives me nuts when i'm going around and around in the parking garage near my work everyday to hear all the noises. Should i take it to a dealer or someone else and what end links would you suggest to make the noises stop?

Any repair shop can replace the end links. I like my Perrins.

There are any number of good end links out there. IMO Just do not use OEM style.

You can buy them Mike at AZPinstall and have them installed anywhere.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...
Here is an update on my issue. Checked the end links, front and rear, and they were fine, better than fine, in fact. Took it back to the dealership and they diagnosed it as a bad U joint. They are replacing my drive shaft tomorrow. Hopefully that will fix the issue. This car has been nothing but trouble. Luckily I purchased a warranty when I bought it (a mere five months ago). So far I have had a bad O2 sensor, bad gaskets (somewhere in the engine, I don't feel like getting the paperwork right now to remember where), A bad pulley on the AC, The rear diff needs its seals replaced and now a drive shaft and U joint. I also had to do the 60000 mile service which was waaay expensive. I am not too happy with the Subaru brand right now.

Here is an update on my issue. Checked the end links, front and rear, and they were fine, better than fine, in fact. Took it back to the dealership and they diagnosed it as a bad U joint. They are replacing my drive shaft tomorrow. Hopefully that will fix the issue. This car has been nothing but trouble. Luckily I purchased a warranty when I bought it (a mere five months ago). So far I have had a bad O2 sensor, bad gaskets (somewhere in the engine, I don't feel like getting the paperwork right now to remember where), A bad pulley on the AC, The rear diff needs its seals replaced and now a drive shaft and U joint. I also had to do the 60000 mile service which was waaay expensive. I am not too happy with the Subaru brand right now.

A few things. First how much did you get charged for a 60k service? It should not have cost a lot. The 60k requirement on the subies isn't that crazy. For our 60k it is as little as $460 and that includes all synthetic fluids!

Maybe you should be upset with your dealer rather than the Subaru brand. You bought a used car (I'm assuming) and are blaming Subaru for that? Seems a bit odd.

Mike

Okay. Okay. I posted that when I was rather unhappy. Indeed, I am very upset with that dealer for selling me that car. Mooresville Ford in Mooresville, NC is where I bought it. Stay away from them. My service was about $540 because of some transmission service I had to have done at the same time. Not terrible but considerably more than service was on my previous car. I am grateful to have the warranty, I haven't had to shell out any cash for repairs just the service. I am just irritated by the inconvenience of it being in the shop so much. Overall I do like the car..

The Ford dealership is only where I bought the car. It is two and a half hours away. All of my service has been taken care of by my local Subaru dealer. The transmission service was recommended by them and was just your basic flush and seals. They said it was recommended on all 5EATs at the 60000 mile service.

That's complete BS. We service them and they do NOT need a flush or any seals at 60k miles. They conned you and that sux!

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived