LegacyGT.com

Wierd Squeal from brakes after new pads/rotors

lofthouse_gt

I am gonna start from the beginning.

2 weeks ago, I replaced my rotors and pads with DBA 4000 rotors/slotted and hawk pads purchased from FBP. The intall went very smooth everything was greased up and put in great, although when stopping at low speeds like 20 mph and under I get a bad squeal from the front calipers. There is no pulling or anything that you can feel they actually stop very well. I also performed a bedding in procedure.

Last week I started asking around what could be the problem. Seeing as how I greased everything up I didn't understand, A guy at checkers mentioned the rattle clips or the clips the hold on to the brake pads. I did not replace those when doing the pads and rotors. So I picked up some from checkers. Went home put them in and noticed they didn't seem wide enough and looked like they would score the rotor so I trimed them down with a dremel. Everything cleared got the pads back in and went for a ride the same exact sound. Very loud squeal under 20 mph.

So Monday I went to the subaru dealership to ask them about it and pick up some better rattle clips. The guy I talked to said I could try replacing them, but he also said it's wierd if I greased up everything like I said, he said they never really have problems with the set up I have. The clips had to be ordered, they came in today. I went home to put them on and they looked identical to the ones I got from checkers. You can tell they were made to work with the caliper, but look slightly different from the stockers not sure if this is a big deal or not maybe just a revision. I checked and they are made for my car (05 LGT). Sure enough when I put them in they also squealed like a stuck a pig.

I can't seem to find anything touching the rotors, everything was greased, I removed the rubber sheilding around the caliper bolts twice to make sure there was enough grease, the backs of the pads are greased. I am by no means a mechanic, but this is not the first set of brakes I've worked on either. I am very confident in my skills and am just really confused on what could be causing the squeal. Is there anything I am over looking? I know this is a long explanation if you need any clarification just ask. I am worried that I am going to take it in somewhere pay money and have them not be able to tell me anything.

Any help or comments anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

What hawk pads are you using?

more aggressive compounds are known to produce noise especially under light/low speed braking.

My Hawk HP Plus squealed like crazy when I had them while less aggressive pads never made any noise.

Yeah I've done a very thorough check to make sure nothing is contacting the rotor they spin freely with no noise. The noise is only heard under load from braking.

MGV101: I am using HP+ pads, I am worried it is the pads, the noise sounds like its coming from the pads contacting the rotor. I forgot to mention I hear the noise equally on both sides, I have also had someone stand outside the car and listen.

Did the noise ever go away or did you just replace the pads?

HP Plus pads are semi-track pads and WILL make noise. Brake squeal are considered normal for track or semi-track pads.

The noise will only go away if you go back to street pads such as Hawk HPS.

As stated on Hawk's own site:

"Warning! Due to the dramatic friction levels produced by this product to achieve "race-level" braking, rotor wear, noise, dust, and pad life may be affected."

Well eventually I got used to the high friction level and noise of the semi-track and pure track pads. I am so accustomed to the high friction level that I prefer to use semi-track pads even for street use.

I have since started searching for high friction pads that would produce less noise but had not been successful.

Right now I am using StopTech Street Performance pads but that is only because my StopTech BBKs came with them. After running on street pads for one day, I have already placed my order for another set of HP+ for use with the StopTech BBK.

Nice I am just not used to the squeal and I do drive through the city a lot where it's stop and go. I think I am gonna just run some HPS for the street

I have really been wanting to get into autocross, now I have some pads I can use if I do decide to go that route.

the HP+ or similar pad will squeal a lot if you do not perform an aggressive bed-in for them.

So, follow the standard bed-in process

Get the brakes up to temperature:

6 medium stops from 60 mph to 15 mph

Once the brakes are up to temperature:

Perform 6-8 hard stops without engaging ABS from 65 to 10 mph until the pads start to fade. Afterward, drive on the highway for 10-15 minutes without stopping to let them cool before parking the car.

Don't drag the brakes and do not come to a complete stop while on hot brakes.

the HP+ or similar pad will squeal a lot if you do not perform an aggressive bed-in for them.

So, follow the standard bed-in process

Get the brakes up to temperature:

6 medium stops from 60 mph to 15 mph

Once the brakes are up to temperature:

Perform 6-8 hard stops without engaging ABS from 65 to 10 mph until the pads start to fade. Afterward, drive on the highway for 10-15 minutes without stopping to let them cool before parking the car.

Don't drag the brakes and do not come to a complete stop while on hot brakes.

Bedding in helped but did not get rid of the noise completely for me. Maybe its more quiet on stock calipers?

I was using Endless BBK back then. Will see how things go when I get the HP+ installed on my StopTech.

HP+ squeak, its just somthing you have to live with. they are a much better pad than HPS. and i can do a direct comparison as my obk sdn has HPS and my GT has HP+. next time i do pads for my obk, ill put on hp+.

Archived