LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

It's good to see everyone pitching in with this. There is so much possibility out there for us, we just need the talent and willingness to make it happen. I'm going to update the first page with a post on folks willing to help design and print for easy reference. I don't and never did plan on making much money from this, (and haven't) but it's good for the community. Thanks to everyone that is making it happen.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you hack yours to open source or build the Arduino cartridge EEPROM reset rig (so you can buy any filament and reload the cartridge)yet?

Also, if anyone is interested in selling their 3D print service... www.makexyz.com

I did the arduino cartridge reset but the latest Firmware and software I think broke it again. I'll have to open up and do a reset on the printer itself to bring it back down to an earlier version.

Thanks for the link I'll have to look into that. It's really just a hobby/side project thing for me now. Been working on a rear diffuser for the car but so far it's been hard to keep it from cracking/splitting. May have to rethink the direction of printing or something.

Please elaborate..

Dying to see a gauge pod that goes in front of our clock and uses that open spot... I'm sure you have easy access to any wires you need as well as power under that flimsy plastic cover

Can't tell if trolling or serious. Or maybe speaking of 5th gen? The only clock in my car is below the cubby and has no open spot in front of it.

Is that for engraving? I hope you have glasses or proper viewing window.

It is and I do. It's only a 2.8 Watt 2.5 Amp diode but I do have a good set of matched laser goggles. And I keep an opaque sheet over the window of the printer when the beam is on. Other wise my stupid cat would be blind immediately. Still working on fine tuning the laser, sort of reinventing the wheel here. Additive manufacturing equipment isn't really designed for this type of work, but I have had some decent results.

Photos are of 1.2 ish amps on cedar shakes i had laying around

20141227_195050.jpg.e71ba8c0d2645ae519fbcfd2ca480924.jpg

20141227_191128.jpg.4e6703ef8e9dce65e1b023a1860a67cf.jpg

Did you see the Flux 3D printer/scanner/engraver Kickstarter? I am curious to see if it lives up to the hype.

I always have to ask if people using laser engravers are using eye protection. It seems like many people are oblivious to the inherent danger of lasers (and the possible unexpected laser reflection off of surfaces).

Did you see the Flux 3D printer/scanner/engraver Kickstarter? I am curious to see if it lives up to the hype.

I always have to ask if people using laser engravers are using eye protection. It seems like many people are oblivious to the inherent danger of lasers (and the possible unexpected laser reflection off of surfaces).

I did, I actually backed it but I'm considering backing out now.

How does one back out of a Kickstarter? I predict that one will be behind schedule unless they already had a manufacturing plan in place (they're still doing prototypes...).

Credit card I backed with was not working so the charge would not go through and it said I had one day to fix it or get canceled. All better though

Edited by discojon

Are you only set up to engrave wood? Or is that the only material you have tried so far?

That is just testing ATM. With the power turned up it should be able to do glass, plexi, acrylic, wood, most non reflective surfaces I'd think. Keep in mind it's only a 2.8W 2.5A max diode. The testing there was around 1.5 amps.

Speaking of lasers, I laser-cut these tweeter brackets from black acrylic awhile back.

All sets have been claimed, but I can spend an evening at work and make some more if needed. If you guys are adventurous enough, I can also give you the .ai files so you can create them as well.

From my previous post, with regards to what I can make with the laser cutter: "Whatever else you can design and cut from a piece of flat wood or acrylic, about 8 x 11" in size. Metals can be engraved, but not cut with our base model. We use the laser at work for rapid prototyping, but I can borrow time on it for projects -- so I don't necessarily run a small batch fab-shop, just helping out a few internet friends."

I'm still dialing this thing in. Didn't make much progress tonight other than changing the control circuit to one with PWM so I can control Intensity, hopefully... I'm not going to be able to do muchore that cut card stock, thin wood, and thin acrylic it looks like.