LegacyGT.com

Electric Supercharger for Subaru engines??

Guest Gitster
Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, and almost $400 on top of it. Its probably a bilge pump from a boat. I think TDC should dyno this.

I think TDC should dyno this.
I'd be really interested in seeing the results! Yeah, it's a gimmick and it comes with lots of problems (What happens when the motor dies? Now you've got an obstruction in the intake). Anyhow, I'd love to see some real dyno results anyway.

-

Jim

When I saw it I thought it was the "Tornado Supercharger" thingy that you put in the intake but all that was create a small eddy current. This unit appears to pump more air into the intake, isn't it therefore possible to see 2.1psi as they claim?

<snip> Thanks for the advice.:(

It is quite amazing that these types of things still exist. Least they could do is show it in the vehicle for a 'real' type look. Gotta love the description:

"Subaru Forester Electric Supercharger Turbo like add on"

I am surprised they didn't compare it to the Tornado or maybe offer it as a package deal with an additional 10hp gain. :lol:

There is a reason why automotive engineers use the engine for supercharging. Energy required to create forced induction with an electric motor would result in negative power gains by mechanical losses to an alternator big enough to develope any amount of supercharging effect.

It's the same reason why V8s use belt driven fans instead of electric.

This is funny,

It produces 250CFM of forced air into your manifold and it very quiet under the hood when turned on.

and

There is need to do any modifications to your engine at all.

He is telling you straight out not to even get it, read his comments about it...

There is a reason why automotive engineers use the engine for supercharging. Energy required to create forced induction with an electric motor would result in negative power gains by mechanical losses to an alternator big enough to develope any amount of supercharging effect.

It's the same reason why V8s use belt driven fans instead of electric.

That's just not true

Find out how many amps the motor draws.

There are real electric superchargers but they usually have an array of DC motors geared to each other and a pack of batteries for the thousand or so amps it draws.. but the energy balance is fine, the alternator will charge the batteries.

It will actually make more power than a belt driven supercharger because the energy comes from the batteries and not immediate motor rotation..

PS V8's use belt driven fans because their big wasteful powerhogs. Why are they a staple of american muscle cars? Because the parts are so inefficient that replacing simple things like rocker arms gains you large amounts of power that _you should have already had_. Big V8's making 200hp stock. hah.

That's just not true

Find out how many amps the motor draws.

There are real electric superchargers but they usually have an array of DC motors geared to each other and a pack of batteries for the thousand or so amps it draws.. but the energy balance is fine, the alternator will charge the batteries.

It will actually make more power than a belt driven supercharger because the energy comes from the batteries and not immediate motor rotation..

It's not untrue because you just made my point. Weight both in apparatus and increased vehicle size to contain it.

PS V8's use belt driven fans because their big wasteful powerhogs. Why are they a staple of american muscle cars? Because the parts are so inefficient that replacing simple things like rocker arms gains you large amounts of power that _you should have already had_. Big V8's making 200hp stock. hah.

Jap and Ger V8s use them as well.

Yes , that is waste of money and ofcourse it'a gimmick.

If You install it , You can get some ~? hp up. And this increase is not related to amount of air that can be supplied to intake...

I'd like to note 2 important thinks:

1) Check construction of that hairdryer - fan is mounted between airfilter and MAF ( or MAP). I will not start to explain how MAF or MAP works ( You can find info on http://www....) , but this funny fan will create air turbulence around the MAF sensor and measurements of amount of air in fact will be incorrect ( additional turbulence will decrease sensor tempereture ). ECU will think that more air passes MAF and puts more gasoline. Engine will start to work "on rich".

2) In order to instal that fan , part called "snorkus" must be removed.

Note, that this part creates more resistance to the air flow than any other part in the intake ( including filter) !

I have measurements of resistance to air flow ( in so called "water inches")

of different parts of intake for 2001 impreza WRX ( I do not think that something was dramatically changed sice that time)

Results are really suprisig:

Total peak resistance to air flow on 4500 rpm: 51 wat. in.

Intake part before air filter , including Snorkus - 36

Air Filter ( just ordinary subaru ) - 1 !!!!!!

Empty filter box, including MAF - 9

Pipe after MAF - 5

Are You surprised ? But that is fact.

Technically it is possibel to create an electrical fan that can replace turbo or compressor "on belt". Unfortunatelly electric engine will be almost same size as gasoline engine. Currently there are more effective small electrical engines, but the cost of that engine is equal to cost of Your car.

I love how people love stating the CFM of a fan. The blowers will never generate the published CFM in real life applications. The published CFM measurements are when the unit is just sitting there in free air with nothing attached to the inlet or outlet. Once put something on the inlet and/or outlet, the amount of air flow starts decreasing.

Archived