LegacyGT.com

Unstable on Slippery Roads

I have a 2005 Legacy Wagon which I purchased in the spring of 2007. This is my first winter with the vehicle. Prior to this car I had a Camary. Honestly I do not feel safe in the Legacy on slippery roads. I have had many un-nerving moments driving to and from work. The car feels like a boat on the water. It feels like I could loose control at any time and it frightens me. What could be the issue? Has anyone else experience this unstable feeling? Could it be the high center of gravity or the narrowness of the car? I never felt this uneasy with my Camary.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dujie

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 2005 Legacy Wagon which I purchased in the spring of 2007. This is my first winter with the vehicle. Prior to this car I had a Camary. Honestly I do not feel safe in the Legacy on slippery roads. I have had many un-nerving moments driving to and from work. The car feels like a boat on the water. It feels like I could loose control at any time and it frightens me. What could be the issue? Has anyone else experience this unstable feeling? Could it be the high center of gravity or the narrowness of the car? I never felt this uneasy with my Camary.

Dujie

What are your driving on, Ice, Snow? What tires are on your Wagon?

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

The tires are the original stock. I purchased a wagon because it was the practical choice for my needs. The roads were packed snow and some ice. Even thought it is a wagon I thought it would perform better because of the all wheel drive.

Any ideas for tires?

ugh..... awd does not = invincibility. remember, half of your car is rwd. tires will make a good difference though.

basically since they are stockers and it is 3yrs old my guess is you have at least 30K on them...... low tred = crappy traction.

The tires have 25,000 miles on the tires. I understand that AWD is not invincible I just thought things would be more stable and reassuring. I am a very cautious driver but it just gets dicey when you feel your vehicle sway.

The tires have 25,000 miles on the tires. I understand that AWD is not invincible I just thought things would be more stable and reassuring. I am a very cautious driver but it just gets dicey when you feel your vehicle sway.

Your tires are also 3 years old and almost certainly cooked. Replace them.

Common sense should tell you that driving on snow with tires that are 70% + worn out is not good.

Dujie

do you have winter tires on the car?

nvm - I see it's been mentioned already

I'm not sure I undertand what you mean by "stable"? Do you mean that it never slips? that it rocks a lot?

I live in Milwaukee and find that the car is the most predictable vehicle I have ever driven in winter. I know exactly what it is going to do in every condition. I slip and slide all the time on snow and ice, but I know that its going to do that, and I know that if I break or accelerate I know how it will respond. this makes driving so much easier.

Captainmorgan:

It feels as if I am in a boat on the water. The care does great on the snow but when it becomes hard packed and icy it seems to sway. For instance: last night driving home going under an overpass I felt the rear end of the car start to slide. I know driving on ice is no good with any vehicle but it did not seem to track as well as a FWD car.

Archived