LegacyGT.com

Low mileage oil change interval

Hey all...I only put about 2k miles every 3 months on my Subaru and my wife puts about 250 miles every 3 months on her Altima. I use full synthetic on the Subie and I put in synthetic blend in the Altima. After how many months should I be changing the oil out? Thanks for your input.

Collect the oil and do an oil analysis. This will determine how well the oil is holding up and how long you can go without an oil change. Blackstone lab is a good one.

Honestly, I'd just drive until I hit 3k or whatever recommended service interval is.

I have no control over drippie.

I do mine now every 5K with Napa Gold Oil filter and Mobil 1 Synthetic. Keeps it easy to remember and the oil looks good when I drain it. I have never watched the time, since I put enough mileage on my cars that I usually hit these before the 3 month mark that used to be pushed. IMO as long as you are running the car I wouldn't worry too much about it. Except the Altima, I would be worried about that since the car is basically barely getting warmed up, so I would change it at period intervals as opposed to mileage.

Archived