LegacyGT.com

I have had a K&N filter in every Subaru I have owned. With our generation 5 Legacy, I seriously looked at the AVO option. I had heard about possible MAF problems, from some on this board. I spoke with owners of both filters, and checked with the two manufacturers and suppliers. Yes, the AVO is a fine product. Yes, it is washable. However, I found it to be just as expensive as a K&N - or a bit more - and the AVO is not a permanent OEM replacement. I went with the K&N, and have been totally satisfied.

Best.

Byll

I can vaguely recall a discussion about the AVO filter not being restrictive enough for the 2.5i, but the difference is probably negligible.

I do use the AVO filters, and I never have any trouble with them. Cleaning them is always fun. Move the dishes out of the sink ma, I got work to do!

Concerning my comment about Gen 5 K&N/MAF problems: I read on the board that some drivers experienced issues caused by oil transferring from the K&N to the sensor. We have a K&N on a Gen 2, and there have been no issues in a whole lot of miles. I am also told that the Gen 2 sensor is different than in Gen 5. After talking with a number of owners of Gen 5 Legacies who use the K&N, I have to conclude that if one does not over-oil the K&N filter after cleaning, there will be no issues.

Best.

Byll

Been running the AVO filter on my 06 for over a year without any issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I don't think you can go wrong with any dry filter. I've only used AVO and have so for the past 3 years. I've heard aFe makes quality filters too so I might give their Pro Dry S filter a try next time around.

Archived