LegacyGT.com

nOOb - Stock Brakes Squeaking

tdoggydog

Well, there could be many reasons... but dont you want to start troubleshooting with the simplest, cheapest and easiest solution first?

While you have them apart, you can also take rough sandpaper to the pad surface in the event you glazed the pads too.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

After you check everything over and make sure that everything is looking good, you can try the brake quiet. I've used it in the past and there was no squealing, but this isn't to say that there would have been if I didn't use it.

Another thing to try is to do a bed-in process. It's hard to find a place to safely do it though and it's annoying.

Do they squeal even when they are warmed up?

I have tried everything including getting the dealer to replace the rotors. I am on my third set of pads and my second set of rotors. Car has about 25k miles. My conclusion is the OEM metalic pads end up squealing after a while. It only happens to me during conservative braking, which is normal driving. If I brake harder, they don't squeal. At some point, I will probably upgrade to ceramic pads to solve it once and for all.

Yup I have the same issue.

and I have Hawk HPS pads and no plates on the back at all. Mine squeak as I drive though ands its a rotational squeak but if I barely tap the brake they stop squeaking. When I need new pads I'm gonna replace the rotors and upgrade to SS lines and have the whole system pressure bleed.

• 5 months later...
I'm having the same issue on mine. It started about 1000 miles ago and it's pretty annoying.

Were you guys able to find a way to make it stop without replacing everything?

I just deal with it. My wife hates that a brand new car squeaks worse than her older Hyundai. It's tough to make a call for new pads when the current ones work fine and have plenty of life left...especially when hoarding money is a current trend.

i've had a squeaking front passenger side brake for some time now. i've pulled it and used some stop squeal from pep boys (purple stuff), and it works for about 3 or 4 days, then the noise starts again. i may pull it again this weekend and try the sandpaper on the pads along with the brake goo, and see how long that lasts.

• 1 month later...

KM Subaru kept the car overnight to look at this issue, and even though I was under the impression that they found the problem and they were going to fix it, it turns out they told me it's because "the rotors glaze and the pads squeak when braking".

I'm glad I was without a car all morning to hear that it's normal for the brakes to squeal. They said that Subaru won't let them replace the pads because they are not worn enough.

KM Subaru kept the car overnight to look at this issue, and even though I was under the impression that they found the problem and they were going to fix it, it turns out they told me it's because "the rotors glaze and the pads squeak when braking".

I'm glad I was without a car all morning to hear that it's normal for the brakes to squeal. They said that Subaru won't let them replace the pads because they are not worn enough.

That's pretty much the conclusion I've reached. I'm just waiting for them to be worn down enough to warrant buying a different pad.

• 6 months later...

I'm annoyed by my squealing brakes again. Bumping this thread and asking if anyone has found a way to get it to stop. When I got the springs replaced, we put some brake goo on the pads and it didn't help.

The brake's sticky says:

Brake squeal – this is actually a vibration you are hearing. It’s the pad backing plate chattering against the pistons. Anti-squeal rubbery goop is supposed to help prevent this. I’ve never really cared for it. For many years I ran a good grease on the backing plates and it worked just fine. Until! I got a suggestion to run high temp anti-seize instead. I gave it a shot. I will never go back to grease.

Anyone try this? It seems like getting new pads doesn't necessarily get rid of the squeal.

I had a squeek with my pads and put high temp anti-seize between the plates and stuff and it didn't help but I think that's because the pads were just 1mm or so to small and so they had some movement at the mounting tab area so they just slightly moved on me. I have stock pads on again right now and they are fine and don't make any noise.

I had a squeek with my pads and put high temp anti-seize between the plates and stuff and it didn't help but I think that's because the pads were just 1mm or so to small and so they had some movement at the mounting tab area so they just slightly moved on me. I have stock pads on again right now and they are fine and don't make any noise.

Did you use anti-seize (or is it there from the last application)? I'm using stock pads, not sure how much they have left exactly, but they have been squeaking the same for the past 20k something miles.

• Mega Users

My front left rhythmically squeaks with the rotation of the tire when no brake is applied. Barely depressing the brake pedal eliminates the noise.

The noise also comes and goes. It doesn't happen every time I drive. I had the fronts disassembled and reinstalled a while back which mostly fixed it, but not completely.

When I was on OEM pads (these are OEM quality, different brand) they liked to squeak under normal braking but was never consistent either.

I've had squeaky brake gremlins on every car I've owned. Which are two old volvos and my LGT. :spin:

I found that when i redid my breaks the small gap inbetween the two chucks of break pad was FILLED with dust. I took a small allan wrench in between the two cheeks of the pad and cleaned out all that build up. After they were clean i replaced the same breakpads on the same rotors and the squeeking had gone...give that a shot.

• 9 months later...
I have a similar if not the same problem with my 05 LGT. When the car is cold or has been sitting for a little while, the brakes squeak just when pressure is first applied and don't squeak during braking. Sometimes it's really, really loud but the odd thing is after a few brakings (2-5) it goes away and is fine. I don't know if this is related but when I brake from high speeds my pedal vibrates a little. Bear in mind this noise only comes from the front and is usually on the front right side. Asside from all this braking is sharp and strong and no grinding. Are my pads or rotors done? The rotors look good, almost new and the pads look like they have alot of life left in them.

Archived