LegacyGT.com

Keeping my '08 N/A

Hey all,

Figured you guys would understand. I have a deep bronze metallic 2008 Legacy 2.5i Limited. Tan leather, factory sub, homelink, astrostart. I bought it new and finished paying it off at the beginning of this year. For the last year and a half or so I have been longing for something with more power, more prestige, a better driving experience. My problem is I live in North Dakota where we can get a lot of snow and ice for up to 6 months out of the year.

Other cars I have been looking at include BMW 328xi and 335xi, also the new Volvo S60 T5 or T6. I can't really do RWD because of the climate here.

I just keep coming back to the Subaru and I'm at a point where I'm going to stop messing with my head by looking at other cars!

Why? Well let's see.... BMW, for around $25K - $30K (my budget) used you are going to get 20K to 40K miles on it and you don't know what happened in regards to maintenance up to that point. 328xi is pretty weak so I eventually realized I would have to get 335xi if power is what I want. Then you have issues with high pressure fuel pumps, crappy DVD nav unless it's like 2010+ (and most of the used ones don't even have Nav), expensive Xenon light repairs, annoying things like run flats, probably needing a spare set of wheels and winter tires in the winter if you get sport package, no fold down rear seats without cold weather package which many of the 335's don't have, and the list goes on. Oh yeah, Astrostart is a tough order without giving up a key.

Volvo, same thing. They cheap out on standard features and most of the used cars are off-lease where the leasee also cheaped out and didn't get decent equipment.

It's not really the money for me, but there's something to be said about no car payments and having a car that just plain WORKS and hasn't had hardly any trips to the dealer except routine maintenance in the 44K I've had it.

Fact is, Subaru makes a pretty good, reliable car with good features and a lot of equipment that is hard to find in the competition without major $$$. After a 300 mile trip yesterday and getting 30 mpg at 74 MPH.... Think I'll keep the Legacy for a while longer :-)

Archived