LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

Here is how mine looked on the turbo side. Oil line to turbo was replaced in 2009 under a recall. I am replacing this line again after it leaked after a clutch install. Here I simply unbolted the banjo bolt and had to fish out this crap. I am on my second turbo.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6779212279_4bc0b8bc6b_b.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here I simply unbolted the banjo bolt and had to fish out this crap. I am on my second turbo.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6779212279_4bc0b8bc6b_b.jpg

...and destroyed. Was it in that shape when you took it out or did it come apart when you took it out of the bolt?

the filters dont always slide out, you need to pull it out and almost destroy it

So is everyone with stock turbos putting back the bolt with the one tiny hole in it? Are the Subaru replacement bolts with filters the same in regards to the hole? I have an 05 lgt and that bolt seems very restrictive even with the filter removed. I know it is supposed to be calibrated for the stock turbo but...

Mine was clean after 91,000 but the turbo was still out of spec (touched the housing). I bought used though and I dont know what the original OCI was. I do 3-3750.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A local friend with a 2009 spec b just went stage 2 at 90,000 km. He already had a catback and gutted both cats in the stock downpipe. Right away he was blowing blue smoke. When he took the turbo off he found a metal seal inside was completely missing causing 1/4" shaft play. This was causing tones of oil to get dumped into the intercooler. I asked him to check the banjo bolt, he said when he pulled it out there was no screen at all.

At some point did Subaru remove the screen from manufacturing?

Yes. 07+ have no filter.

OK, now I'm confused... I thought my 08 Outback XT had 2 banjo filters. I haven't checked yet with only 24K miles on the car, but was planning to soon. So do I have banjo filters, or not?:spin:

• 2 weeks later...

+1

Just pulled my bolt yesterday for the first time after 108K miles. There was only a spec of debris and a slight oil build up. Cleaned it up, and placed it back in. Figured since I've gone this far, why remove the filter. I do change the oil between 5k - 6k miles.

My wife's balls are delicious.