LegacyGT.com

2005 OBXT 5mt Transmission - What vehicles will it fit?

BarManBean

• Moderators

I'm trying to do some research into what sort of compatibility my '05 5mt outback transmission will have. Will it fit earlier outbacks (i.e. 2001), later outbacks, legacys, etc?

I don't have much of an idea and I'm not even sure exactly what to research. Any help is appreciated. FWIW, I am able to include the rear diff if needed for fitment purposes in the case of a different FD ratio.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 4 weeks later...
I'm trying to do some research into what sort of compatibility my '05 5mt outback transmission will have. Will it fit earlier outbacks (i.e. 2001), later outbacks, legacys, etc?

I don't have much of an idea and I'm not even sure exactly what to research. Any help is appreciated. FWIW, I am able to include the rear diff if needed for fitment purposes in the case of a different FD ratio.

I HAD to go through this research few months ago due to transmission damage. Bolt knocked a whole into front diff casing. Found one similar story from this forum.

I cannot remember if all applies to US-models but following works at least in EU and mostly US.

- Forester XT same ratios (maybe same gearbox actually), plug and play if same clutch type (push or pull).

- Impreza WRX boxes from 2004/5--> fit but you need rear diff from same car. Earlier have different clutch type and some different inner drive joints (maybe was STI ones) not sure enymore.

- Same story with Legacy as Impreza but as these are (in EU) N/A there was no point going this route.

Double check what I wrote above, but should give an idea what to look for. Forester XT and Impreza WRX 2005-2008 should be PnP but Impreza just needs rear diff too.

I did go Impreza route since slightly longer ratios were preferred and found a decent deal for package. Hope this helps a bit.

Archived