LegacyGT.com

Push start remote not working

I have a Legacy GT 2010 with factory remote and push start which I've loved up until today when something odd happened. The car was already unlocked and when I got in to start it the car just beeped at me and the orange key and exclamaton mark light flashed. The remote buttons to lock and unlock the car also weren't getting a response. I tried a few times, walked about 5 miles to get a new remote battery but still got the same problem.

So I rang Subaru road side assistance. They had me hold the remote against the start button for 5 seconds (remote buttons facing me) and the car started fine but the orange key and exclamation mark light kept flashing. No problems, it would be enough to get me home and use the spare remote until the next service which is nearly due.

The tech who helped me said there was a lot of this lately and it could be due to interference from high volatage lines etc. This isn't the case in my instance as I was at my holiday house way out in the bush. I can't imagine what would be causing the interference and I've certainly not experienced it any other time in the last year.

But it gets stranger. About half way home (60 miles, or just over an hour) the orange light stops flashing and when I test it the remote is now working fine.

So I'll go to the dealer, they won't be able to reproduce the problem and I'm left with a nagging concern that this could happen at any time.

Does anybody have any similar experiences or thoughts what might have caused this?

Mine does it at times, get in, depress the clutch and the green light on the push start button starts flashing and nothing happens. I often have to get out lock and relock it with the remote several times before it engages. It has happened in a variety of locations, underground car parks, out in the street, our in our garage out in the bush. I also remember reading something about the steering wheel lock has something to do with the ignition process and can stop the ignition if it does not unlock. So I wonder if jiggling the steering wheel would help, I will try this next time it happens.

The only time it did this and never started was when it was brand new and the battery went flat after 10 mins with the lights on at night, battry was not recharged by dealer in the deliver process.

PS I did my post grad degrees at Sydney Uni on the Social Work area, what area do you work in?

I'm loving my keys and standard ignition switch right now!

I knew somebody would say that. It's not helpful, but I felt the same way when it was going on. Now I know the work around (holding the key fob to the start button for 5 secs) I guess I'm not going to be stranded again. However I would still like to get to the bottom of it with the dealer.

My wife says we should buy a Toyota (more reliable etc). Nooooo!

• 2 weeks later...
Just had this happen again today, pushed the start button and nothing, so I jiggled the steering wheel and it roared to life.

I had a car once, no idea when this was, that until I turned the wheel slightly to relieve the wheel lock it would not start. It only happened a couple of times (probably because I started turning the wheel unconsciously), but it sounds like the same thing to me. Just turn the wheel a little and then push your button.

I've never been a fan of the push button. I like the old fashioned slide the key in and twist method of starting my car.

-Rogue77`

I'm just here for the mods.

• 6 years later...

Hey, I see this thread was a few years ago. I'm having the same problems with my 2010 Legacy Wagon.

Did the problem ever go away, or did you end up having to get your dealer or auto electrician to replace or fix the problem? My car is outside warranty and local dealer is suggesting they need to replace the stop / start switch for $850, which may or may not fix the problem!

Hi - I forgot all about this thread. I still have the car and the problem never happened again.

From time to time the car doesn't start so I hold the fob against the button, it starts, I replace the battery (they are super cheap on eBay) then it keeps working again for a few years.

I'm still very happy with the GT and generally the keyless entry.

Archived