LegacyGT.com

Just installed AVO Flat panel.....is this a rip off?

croll326

AVO flat panel = $60 shipped

Directions say to clean with soapy water and that it should be cleaned every 10,000 miles and replaced after 2 cleanings. I was under the impression that this was a lifetime filter like the K & N. ?????????

Also, ive been told on here to clean it with k & n cleaner but not to use the oil.

What should I do?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I installed mine last week .. does the car sound a little different to you when you get above, say, 3500 rpms? I hear a bit of a wooshing sound. Of course, I can't hear it if the windows are down.

panel filters always=more noise.

WTF.... were you expect 50HP to the wheels from $60 bucks?

Seriously, it's better than the stock air filter. Toss is after 25,000 miles, clean it every 8k miles and you're set.

That said, don't bother with the oil filters as they can F up the MAF if you're not careful.

I loved my AVO panel filter. It was one of the earliest mods that I did. It made a nice "whoosh" sound under WOT. I cleaned it a few times with a drop of liquid soap and the garden hose. You should just enjoy it.

and take my (extravagently expensive) advice.....STOP modding it right now! :p

I like it and NO i was not expecting any power gains to be honest. The woosh is nice. Is the performance increase really worth it? Its 4 times the cost of a paper filter. Ive read posts that the stock paper filter is good to over 300whp. O well, soap water get a new one in 25,000 miles.

avo filter was my first mod. been on for over 30k miles only cleaned it once lol

i guess i should buy a new one. regardless its definitely NOT a rip

E, you're supposed to clean those things? I don't think I've even taken it out since I installed it. But doesn't matter too much since I'll probably be going CAI.

soo the AVO flat panel vs. the K&N or AEM CAI. Which one to go with? Are you guys just getting the flat panel cuz it's cheaper? Personally I would like to go with the AEM just because its styling points under the hood. Does the CAI give better performance? It's only 250 bucks suprised not more people have them:confused:

soo the AVO flat panel vs. the K&N or AEM CAI. Which one to go with? Are you guys just getting the flat panel cuz it's cheaper? Personally I would like to go with the AEM just because its styling points under the hood. Does the CAI give better performance? It's only 250 bucks suprised not more people have them:confused:

$250 plus tuning costs if you wanna run safely.

panel filters help flow and the stock airbox is good enough on stock turbo.

I just installed the AVO. It said to fit it with the fins horizonally positions, but it fit perfectly with the fins vertical. I had to really pry it in there to get them horizonal lol However, with the new AVO filter and silencer removed, sounds like I have a mild aftermarket BOV! Love it, and I do feel a very slight more power boost. Not to mention much more fun to drive!

Zac

I'm telling you for the cost, its a must to get the drop-in. The BOV is noticably louder w/o being obnoxious, and the spooling/air intake sound is great. The cost/benfit for a CAI just doesn't seem right. There is no NOTICABLE difference in power and it costs considerably more. Plus, unless your going past Stage 2, theres no reason for it. But for huge power, obviously its a must.

Zac

Everyone seems to be against K&N cuz of the oil. So far the AVO is working great for me but I don't like how its $60 every 20k miles. But I guess you can push it. Honestly, I dont know of any others, other than K&N and AVO. If I did it again I'd probly try K&N since its warrenty friendly.

Wait, you have a NON-GT???? That does change things...lol

Zac

Archived