LegacyGT.com

New Bilstiens and pinks have arrived!

turbo2nr

****WARNING*****

You MUST be seated and wearing a snell approved helmet at all times while reading this thread, or serious injury or even death may occure. Please use paper, graphs, and charts to aid in the digestion of the mixed-up information. Legacygt.com holds no legal responsibility for information in this thread.

(:lol: :lol: :lol: )

Well, the Panda guy on Ebay sent me my pink springs early mon. morning.

The Allshock guys sent me Bilstiens today. I will post pics of the struts in five hours.

Can't wait to install!

(Edit, it seems I need to order the 2007 Spec-B top-hats, then good to go for install)

Also got the STi front lip from the panda man. No damage.

Scott

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that area is exactly 7mm on my front struts.

Well, if they don't fit you won't hear about any impressions - other than "fark - they don't farking fit!" :lol:

That's funny to me. I pick up impressions of teeth every day and make ceramic teeth, implants, etc. And yes, Fark impressions.

These struts are going to work, even if I have to get creative. I've made plenty of things work before, no problem. Developed a good relationship with local machine shop thru motocycles, rebuilding subaru trannys, and having engines machined. I get the feling we will be machining something, just not sure what yet.

I don't think you'll need to machine anything. You'll just need to use the Spec B top hats.

Then, to add to the confusion, do these struts really work with the USDM springs like allshocks.com said? By USDM springs, does he mean the USDM Spec B springs (which are already on Bilstein struts) as opposed to regular Legacy GT springs?

My guess is that these are just JDM/World struts, that need the Spec B top hats, and should be used with JDM spec springs (e.g., STi pinks, Provas, JDM Teins, Swifts, etc.) USDM springs designed to be used with USDM top hats might be too big for these struts.

Why does Subaru throw us such curve-ballz? Why two different designs?

Well guys, it appears these struts are not made for our cars. Booooo.

Yeaaaaaaaaah BEER!

Anyway...the JDM front STi lip fits 97% well. Looks great, but not every hole is used on the underside. Another example of the evolution of design. It is, however, held on very secure. Looks OEM (because it is OEM). Many many mounting points, AND double sided tape for the sealing of fine gravel. Pink "STi" on brushed stainless logo on the center. Feels like trashcan rubber, mat finish.

The world should know, just to be nice and give a heads up before ordering!

I'll check out my options. Most likely, I'll keep them and make them work. Watch me come up with a cheap fix. To be fair, the vendor and I talked about this, and he was honest and said these are unseen as of yet, and may not be the right thing. Bilstien drop-shipped these to me.

Thanks

No worries!

Scott

Yep - JDM spec. Sorry I missed you post before.

I hope you get back to the vendor to let them know these are not USDM-compatible.

That's not 100% correct. The Spec B top hats are USDM parts available through US Suby parts suppliers.

But it's true that they won't be compatible with regular USDM Leg GT top hats, and probably not well matched for regular USDM Let GT springs.

The world should know, just to be nice and give a heads up before ordering!

I'll check out my options. Most likely, I'll keep them and make them work. Watch me come up with a cheap fix. To be fair, the vendor and I talked about this, and he was honest and said these are unseen as of yet, and may not be the right thing. Bilstien drop-shipped these to me.

Thanks

No worries!

Scott

Don't do it! Just buy the Spec B top hats. They are like $100 for the pair from Subaruparts.com.

The USDM Spec B tophats are actually JDM :lol:

Yeah, but they are a JDM part that you can order through US Suby dealers, so they are also USDM parts. Before the Spec B hit the US, the only way to source them new was from japanparts.com or avoturboworld.

I spoke with tech at Bilstein.

The ends of the strut tubes are friction welded on (just like a turbine wheel-to-shaft). (I was hoping they screwed on) They (Bilstien) said not to machine much off of the lip below the bearing bushing. I do not think I could remove enough off to make up the difference. The tube is not strong enough to support the bearing undersid3, so at least 2mm of the cast spacer should remain.

Does the US Spec-B have these shocks/struts?? Should I try the tops from one of those?? Any chance it might have the 7mm thick bearing?

(Edit, I see the above now.)

Scott

Archived