LegacyGT.com

Navigation slow to start-up

dmanaenk

I've had mine do this when I start the car to warm it up in the morning and don't hit the agree button. I'll come back after 5-10 minutes and it won't respond to me trying to click agree and will just be frozen.

I'll start driving and after about 5 minutes or so, I'll try it again and it will respond to me clicking agree and operate normally.

I've always figured it was a temperature thing or something and never really worried about it. It's happened about 4-5 times over the last few years.

I agree, it's probably a temperature thing. However, it's not a CDROM. I now think it's the touchscreen. if I wiggle/put pressure on dash around the screen it comes back to life after instance of not responding to touch.

I suppose I'll complain to the dealer during next service visit, if this does not go away with warmer temperatures.

I had this problem when i put the newer disks in so i went back to old disk but i blamed it on the fact that i dl and burnt my nav disks myself..

What is the newest version u can buy?

Where did you get it?

Are you happy with it?

The breif time I used the 2 version of the disks or whtever first upgrade was i think it was 08 its maps were actually worse for y area another reason i never tried to solve my loading problem and reverted back particularly my POI were worse. If a new better version is out I would love to get it

TIA,

Anthony

• 2 years later...
I realize this is a long shot since it is a really old thread, but did any of you guys resolve your issues with the touchscreen? Mine started to do this a couple of months ago and now it's all but frozen on the "agree" screen. Only time I can get mine to work is in the early morning when it's still cold out... all the fuses seem to be fine and the disk is spotless so I'm also thinking it's temperature related.

Mine still happens occasionally when it's extremely cold and I don't click the button immediately after starting the car. I've always assumed it's some kind of self-calibration/protection thing it does. If you don't click agree within 20 seconds of turning on and the temperature is below freezing, it goes unresponsive until the temperature comes up. I don't think it has anything to do with the disk, or else it would throw a disk error.

Mine has probably happened less than 10 times since I bought the car 9 years ago (wow, really, 9 years!). Usually when I start the car to warm it up in the morning and forget to accept before getting out. It won't respond till I start driving and heater gets going and the car interior warms up. Then it responds and works normally after that. I moved last year and park in an attached garage now so I can't remember the last time it happened.

Odd. I think our problems might be slightly different then... mine won't work unless the temperature drops a little. This past weekend I was able to play with the screen and various scenarios and I've managed to get it to get past the initial screen about 40 sec after startup and with the temperature being relatively warm. Odd thing was, it briefly flashed a "Subaru Navigation" loading screen (I think it had a picture of the earth with a black background and stars in the back) for a split second before loading into the normal screen with the map.

I almost wish the screen were visibly cracked or damaged in some way so at least I could know what was wrong with it for sure... little things like this have to be among the worst kind of issues to sort out.

Strange? So it doesn't work unless it's cold out?

Touchscreens have a digitizer that lays on top of the screen that translates where your finger makes contact to send to the unit to make it respond. It's possible the digitizer is going south (had this happen on a few phones but the concept would be the same).

Have you ever removed the screen? Maybe the plug in the back isn't solid and the cold expands/contracts something and it makes contact for a time. My wife had a Dodge Durango that would randomly shut off for 30 minutes. Turns out the ECU motherboard was bad and when it got hot enough, expanded and failed and then when it cooled and contracted, went back to working normally. I don't miss that thing.

Yeah if anything, I figured it would be the digitizer. I haven't removed the screen/nav unit from my car yet as I've been trying to find enough time to take it all apart. I've helped repair a friend's IS250's faulty nav screen (her digitizer wasn't working due to a discontinuity in the ribbon cable somewhere near the base of the screen), so I have an idea of where to start looking for issues if it isn't something obvious like a loose connection somewhere.

Now that I'm fairly certain it won't be an easy fix, I'll just need to hope that I'll have a spare weekend coming up soon :spin:

Archived