LegacyGT.com

just crashed into a telephone pole... please dont bash me, just help!!!

Alex1

Alright... yesterday 12/4/05 i was driving through some back roads after a snow storm... there was an interesection but it was more like a s turn...

i was going TOPS 20, more like 15 tho and i take the left slowly and then go to take the right to bear off but the car keeps going straight into a telephone pole... it came up so fast, i hit the breaks but abs kicked in and so i let of a little to pump it because i haaate the abs in the leggy it kicks in too soon, and if i had steered into the slide then i wouldnt have had time to turn i would have hit hte pole harder, or gona into the house right next to it, and i decided steering away from the slide would just make my back slam into the pole causing more damage... i wasnt going fast enough to have it be life of death so i decided i guess at the last moment to deal with hitting it head on...

no airs bags.. no one was hurt, i was with my friend.. coolent was leaking, radiator or something was steaming but not to bad, hada be town away... the ems ppl said the bags should have gone off so they cut the battery..

some people said that the damage wasnt that bad but it might have messed with the frame because jap cars are made to fold .... sooo look at the pics and help me out?

and dont give me any shit about beign 17, yeah im not that expierenced in the snow i know that, but i wasnt being a dick and messing aroudn either, so it could have happened to anyone...

also if it is totalled, the car has 6k miles on it, 10 months old, perfect in every other condition tho... sooo what would insurance give me? andd how much is the invoice on a spec b?

thanks for the help

-alex

12-04-05_1608.jpg.9f065a3ed5c562c1a0c477014b3921f7.jpg

12-04-05_1609.jpg.a28fce1b80ced9ba569b00f4811832f1.jpg

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how to answer all of your questions... but you have my condolances. That is a tough break. Accidents happen, sometimes. Don't beat yourself up.

The insurance company will look it over and make the determination on what to do. My opinion is that it isn't that bad. Looks like a new radiator, crossbrace, hood, bumper, etc.....

Relax and let us know how it goes.....

Dude, sorry to hear about that sitaution. However, I don't think they are gonna total it, unless something went totally wrong with the motor. Most of that will be fixed...since the leggy crumples really well. The 'ring' shape is probably not damaged...but it's hard to tell.

Most likely, the cost of 'fixing' the car is not as much as the 'value' of the car, so they are going to fix it...guaranteed.

Good luck with that, though, and expect an insurance hike!

- Front bumper

- Front bumper beam

- Radiator

As long as the radiator didn't back into the pulleys/belts, the engine didn't run without coolant and none of the A, B and C frames are damaged, I would say it is totally fixable, even if the frame in the front half of the car needs to be corrected.

I keed I keeed

It is not that complicated; insurance will either pay the cost to fix the car or they will total it and give you the value of the car.

I like the comment about Jap cars folding; its called a crumple zone and all modern cars are designed that way.

Good luck.

I just went through a similar type of thing and let me let me tell you that that isn't totaled. You would need to come up with 80% of the retail value of the car for them to total it.

Mine was 8k in damage and I needed:

New bumper

New fog

New headlight

New Grille

Radiator

Air box

2 rims

front right fender

all rear suspension on the passenger side

4 new tires

Long and short. Rain, offramp, truck, going slow, deer, re92, backend kicks out, guardrail.

Whole entire back end kicked out with no notice and I went into a 360 and hit 2 guard rails.

Anyway it wound costing a lot but was totally fixable.

You will have to bite the bullet and get that fixed through insurance (minus you deductible) and have your rates will double for 3 years.

That is far from totaled. Sorry man good luck with it though. Took me over a month to get mine fixed

i was going TOPS 20, more like 15 tho and i take the left slowly
I have a hard time believing that this much damage could result from only 15-20 MPH. If so, then an unopened beer can would have a better chance of survival. I was driving around 2 days ago in several inches of unplowed snow and came to an S-curve and when I turned the wheel I more or less kept plowing forward. (Thanx Bridgestone) I was doing about 25MPH at the time and just let off the gas and within a second the car slowed enough to start turning properly. BTW, I disagree with your assessment of ABS brakes. They work and are there for a reason. Dont try to out-pump ABS.

Were you hurt? Remember...the crumple zones on the car absorb the impact so your body doesn't;)

Our car is one of the safest ones out there! Within 500 miles the Bridgestone tires were off of mine. The traction & stability in rain was bordeline dangerous. Make sure you get some real tires efore you hit the road again.

At least a 50% increase...it all depends on what they pay out.:eek:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Dont try to out-pump ABS.
+Eleventy Billion, you cant match ABS, so if you have it, use it.

The damage is very believable because the front of a vehicle has to dissipate massive amounts of force in an impact. To spead out that force, things need to crumple fast to soften the blow. It sucks that such a slow speed accident can cripple a car so much, but thats what its designed to do to save your ass and those around you. Plus the front end of a vehicle will crunch so much faster to compensate for objects like pedestrians (federally mandated) in order to minimize bodily injuries

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

+Eleventy Billion, you cant match ABS, so if you have it, use it.

The damage is very believable because the front of a vehicle has to dissipate massive amounts of force in an impact. To spead out that force, things need to crumple fast to soften the blow. It sucks that such a slow speed accident can cripple a car so much, but thats what its designed to do to save your ass and those around you. Plus the front end of a vehicle will crunch so much faster to compensate for objects like pedestrians (federally mandated) in order to minimize bodily injuries

Or it could be made to bounce right off the pole and everyone inside would be dead.......

baah thanks for the help everyone... this just sucks, i just want my baaaby back haha... i bought an re92 to replace my front right one but havent had time yet... i had hit the sidewall... can i return it to tirerack.com? and buy 4 new ones that are better all weather tires?

Or it could be made to bounce right off the pole and everyone inside would be dead.......
, or it could have sheared the pole off and karate chopped the car. Be thankful your front is like that and yea, insurance rates are really going to be nasty now for you. Sucks being a teenage driver doesnt it. I'm only 20 now and everytime I get into my car, I think about how much I'm getting knocked for insurance and how much ass it would suck for it to go up even more.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Archived