LegacyGT.com

Turbo lag?

Thetimmy08

So I was driving my 05 legacy up a steep hill today, stopped at a stoplight halfway up the hill, and when the light turned green I gassed it and right after first gear, the car sounded like it was either flooding or maybe the turbo was misfiring.. I was using the tiptronic shifting and wasn't red lining it either. I am a somewhat new Subaru owner and would love some insight. Can anyone help me out to what this could have been??

Auto or manual? When you say it "sounded like it was flooding after first gear," does that mean before or after the car was in 2nd? What did the car do? Did it not respond when you applied more gas? We can't be sure whether turbo lag is a problem, but I'm pretty sure we can rule out turbo misfiring.

EDIT: I'm on Tapatalk... did I just miss the mention of "Tiptronic" before, or was that added in after the fact? I'm at a loss. I think you're probably in a better position to say what happened than anyone else. So it was between flooding & redlining? Uhhhm...

Tits mcgee

It's an auto with the option to shift also. When I was shifting from first gear into second, that's when the car just totally lagged out. When I tried to continue applying gas it sputtered I let off the gas and it went back to normal. I don't know what it could be but would love any input.. Thanks

Stop shifting it manually. The TCU is smarter than you are about what the engine/transmission needs to do, and when. Seriously.

The 5EAT relies on more than gears to control torque requirements. It has a torque converter, but more specifically a torque converter that has two modes: locked and unlocked. When you are under higher loads, like going up a hill, the first thing the transmission will do is unlock the torque converter and allow the engine to work with the open converter to manage rpms and speed. Then It shifts down if necessary. By your forcing the transmission into a gear that was inappropriate for the loads the engine was bogged down. The turbo has nothing to do with it.

All this assumes you have a properly functioning car, of course.

Archived