LegacyGT.com

LED Instrument Cluster, HVAC, Etc..

I just converted my instrument cluster, HVAC controls, accessory ring and key ring to blue LED.

Really simple to do, here are the final pics. If any one needs help doing this let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Cheers.

1873507604_photo1-1.thumb.jpg.a5320d0af72ef622cb825247909fada3.jpg

1662079007_photo3-1.thumb.jpg.29bedd9580fa7ea99a4a8a4d28449711.jpg

1294773830_photo4-1.thumb.jpg.696af1ee28c36737da02a5240ea968d6.jpg

604155484_photo5.thumb.jpg.ae7b2b37e65e4679b6e2fdbee301d186.jpg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I followed blackstar's walkthrough over on Sl-i.net (http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14157). No sense in redoing his hard work.

I did however do one thing differently. I didn't have to remove my heater control cable, not sure if I just got lucky or if my car has a slightly longer one but I was able to pull my heater controls literally in my lap while sitting in the drivers seat and the cable connected.

If you want specific pics of things let me know I'd be glad to do so.

Also if you want to change the window controls, mirror controls, and shifter (AT) lights here are the bulbs that he doesn't list

Window & Mirror controls: Neo-xHP 3mm

Shifter lighting: 74-xHP

Couple other things about LED's:

I found that the traditional LED's were darker than any SMD LED I tried. The SMD tends to be a bit lighter (more washed out) which is what I used as I was going for the aqua color that comes in the new Camarao's.

It's not exact but pretty close.

Here is the list of everything I've used to date:

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

4 x WLED-xHP5 ($5.95 ea) in blue for the gauges

2 x T1.5-xHP ($2.79 ea) in blue for the time/temp & odometer/trip

HVAC CONTROLS

3 x NEOx-xHP ($2.29 ea) in 4mm blue for all the lighting in there. It only takes three bulbs.

KEY RING, ACCESSORY RING, ASHTRAY & SHIFTER (AT ONLY)

3 x 74-xHP3 ($3.49 ea) in blue for key ring, accessory ring, and shifter

1 x 74-xHP3 ($3.49 ea) in white for ashtray

I bought everything from http://www.superbrightleds.com under the 12V Car Bulbs section.

Please remember that SMD LED bulbs are more washed out in color than your traditional LED bulb so if you want a darker color, please use a traditional bulb. If you want a lighter color then use the SMD. These are just guidelines, feel free to experiment--however--whichever bulbs you end up purchasing try to get ones with a 360 degree viewing angle. It will light up more area and there won't be any shadows or dark spots.

Cheers yea.

Thanks for posting this, I only have one bulb left in my dash so I need to get around to taking the whole shebang apart and am leaning towards LEDs to minimize my chances of having to do that again. Just got a job offer today so I am waiting to get a few bucks in so that I can replace my head unit at the same time as fixing the bulbs.

Not sure what you mean about what brightness I got. I bought all SMD chip LED bulbs, there was no choices of brightness.

My post above shows the part numbers of what I bought, you can check them out and see if they compare to what you used...I also made sure to get bulbs with forward-firing LED's as well as outward-firing LED's so I got a full 360' of light=no hot spots or dull needles.

No. If you follow the guide that stoggy gave me, but change the color on the website, they will still fit. I've seen people do all different colors. I'm looking to make my rpm gauge change colors at my shift point.

I don't think LED's are capable of producing true ultra-violet wavelengths in terms of damaging effects, but you may want to do research before ordering--or ask the folks at SuperBrightLED's, they should know.

Worst case I see happening is it would make all the plastic brittle and prone to breakage. Or you'll get a sunburn in the shape of your gauges on your face while looking at them! Haha!

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
Just curious since I didn't see it discussed or mentioned. Is it regardless of LED color that the needle will still light up as bright red? I was thinking of going blue as well, but if there's more of a headache then I'd like to deal with I may just convert it all over to white LED's.

Archived