LegacyGT.com

'96 Legacy L with vibration at high speeds

I saw an ad for a '96 Legacy L wagon, little rust, 180K miles, recent timing belt change that I wouldn't mind getting for my son. The main issue is a vibration between 40- 60 MPH.

That part makes me hesitate a little- what is the likelihood that the cause is minor (bad tire, or bent rim) vs. major (bad transmission). Also needs brakes, but that's not an issue.

Vibration can come from many different things: basically anything that can move.

Where does the vibration come from? Do you feel it in the steering wheel? In the seat? The whole body of the car? Front/Rear? Constant or intermittent?

The first thing you should do is to check the wheels and tires, ask when his last wheel balance was.

I asked the owner where the vibration is coming from from, but he hasn't replied back yet. Sounds like he lives near where I work, so maybe I'll get a chance to check it out later.

Less likely than wheels/tires would be shot suspension parts. Tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings, dampers.

The 'only between 40-60' usually indicates an interaction with the pavement unless when it 'goes away' above 60 it's really vibrating too fast to resonate and changes from a shake to a sound.

Archived