LegacyGT.com

Speedo reading vs GPS reading

I performed a search and didn't find anything relevant. Anyway, I recently got a TomTom Go 910 navi system and I've notice that the GPS unit is measuring 1-2mph less then my speedo reading. Has anyone else noticed this? Is the GPS unit off or is the speedo off? I try to hold the speed steady on a flat road for at least 5 sec before taking the readings.

Just curious, but might influence a tire size purchase in the future. I'm considering installing 235/45x17 tires on the stock rims vs 235/40x17 that are closer to stock. A tire calculation site states that the 45 series tire will be about 2mph > than stock @ 60mph, but if my speedo is ~2mph optomistic @ 60mph, then the larger tires will 'correct' the speedo. I would also like a little more sidewall on my tires as well.

Any thoughts?

most vehicles, cars, bikes, read faster so you don't get in trouble. a lot like building in understeer on a car to make it safer for the masses. bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

All Subarus are typically calibrated to read 2-3 MPH faster than your actual speed. My 1995 Legacy was the same way.

I think this is a good thing... I would much rather have the speedo displaying a faster speed than a slower speed like Chevrolet speedometers do.

Jon, I can see where you think that...

But I think you ascribe decent common sense to the government. Where there is none...

I would not put it past the government one millimeter. It is probably buried in some over-reaching policy by the US DOT. An agency of the Congress' policies have the force of law, or nearly that. Congress need not have voted on it, but by creating and authorizing the DOT, the DOT's policys become an agent of congress act.

actually, it seems to be plus or minus 10% at 50 or 60mph, but there's no specific legal stuff I could find.

My Garmin shows my speedo is accurate, which is odd, since I'm running 225/45/17's.

On my 05' LGT the "built-in" speedo error seems to be a constant percentage, rather than a MPH "offset".

LGT speedo reads 60 mph and Garmin Foretrex 201 = 58.4 mph

LGT speedo reads 80 mph and Garmin Foretrex 201 = 77.9 mph

LGT speedo reads 95 mph and Garmin Foretrex 201 = 92.5 mph

(Normal disclaimers apply: Closed course, professional driver, etc., etc.) :-)

Goodyear F1 GS-D3 215/45 ZR17 tires with less than 10K miles

Speedo error = + 2.6%

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

Thanks for the confirmation everyone, when I do replace my stock tires, I'm going to get the 235/45x17. Though 2.6% difference is not a lot, it does mean that you are travelling 2.6% less then what your odometer is reading as well.

Thanks for the confirmation everyone, when I do replace my stock tires, I'm going to get the 235/45x17. Though 2.6% difference is not a lot, it does mean that you are travelling 2.6% less then what your odometer is reading as well.

Not necessarily.

All car manufacturers aim to have the speedo read a little high.

That doesn't mean the odometer will be high by the same amount.

See if you can check it over an exact known distance.

Well as an unscientific data point, I drive Pasadena to Turlock pretty frequently, and in my Q45a it was 301 miles, in the Mercury rental it was 301 miles, in my LGT it is 310 miles. So something is a bit off, but other than running out of warranty sooner, there's no real downside.
From Legacy to SVX to SVX to Q45a to LegacyGT

I'll add my data. According to my Garmin eTrex Legend, my speedo reads about 1.5mph too high. This is with stock tires (when they were new). I have confirmed this by timing a measured mile.

--Lee

Some "New age" speedos are adjustable to correct these errors. My brother drives a Turbo PT Cruiser (I'm embarrassed to be related to him:lol: ) and he experienced the same problems you are discussing. Her just took it to his Chrysler dealer and had it adjusted to agree with the GPS. Anyone know if that is possible with Subarus??

BTW there are NO speedos in any car that are totally acurate...if you have one, it is a fluke. Top end cars are the worst...Porsche, Ferrari etc:confused: ....some are out 20%.....Road & Track did a big article on this some years ago.

Not necessarily, the odometer is a separate digital instrument. Even though (on my LGT) the speedo reads 2.6% high, the odometer seems to be off only about 1% (high also). This will presumably get worse as the tires wear and the wheels turn more revolutions per actual mile. I think the speedo calibration is probably "designed in" but the odo error is likely just normal production variability.

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

Some "New age" speedos are adjustable to correct these errors. My brother drives a Turbo PT Cruiser (I'm embarrassed to be related to him:lol: ) and he experienced the same problems you are discussing. Her just took it to his Chrysler dealer and had it adjusted to agree with the GPS. Anyone know if that is possible with Subarus??

BTW there are NO speedos in any car that are totally acurate...if you have one, it is a fluke. Top end cars are the worst...Porsche, Ferrari etc:confused: ....some are out 20%.....Road & Track did a big article on this some years ago.

Ours is adjustable, good luck getting a dealership to do it. I think most think of their SSM as a fancy paperweight.

I performed a search and didn't find anything relevant. Anyway, I recently got a TomTom Go 910 navi system and I've notice that the GPS unit is measuring 1-2mph less then my speedo reading. Has anyone else noticed this? Is the GPS unit off or is the speedo off?

If the GPS was off in steady speed your location would be off as well. It is buffered. One thing I do find "off" is max speed - it seems to use too short a gate. I don't think our Chevy Express really tops out at 149 mph.....

We have GPS in all our company vehicles and the salespeople have them as well. The Subaru is typical, about 2-3 mph slow at 75 mph. Nissan Quest about the same. A Honda Accord V6 is the closest, almost dead on at 75 mph. A Chevy van is 2-3 mph slow. A Ford van (replacement tires) is more like 4 mph off at 75 and always has been.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived