LegacyGT.com

New owner

Hey all,

I recently just got my new Legacy this past Tuesday. It's a 2006 GT with 52k miles...

So far I love this car, but I'm still trying to get everything figured out. I'm going to try and keep it pretty much stock and just enjoy the car for a while.

Is there anything I should know about these cars?

Thanks (in advance) guys!

Hey all,

I recently just got my new Legacy this past Tuesday. It's a 2006 GT with 52k miles...

So far I love this car, but I'm still trying to get everything figured out. I'm going to try and keep it pretty much stock and just enjoy the car for a while.

Is there anything I should know about these cars?

Thanks (in advance) guys!

Enjoy! I am a new BL owner too (less than a month).

The factory tune is incredibly conservative. I had a light tune on mine. Much more responsive now and fuel economy did not get worse.

Nothing to worry about if you stay stock like me but just a few things are the banjo bolt filter(can get clogged with debris, dirt, etc)which will cause your turbo to die because no oil is going to that turbo but if your engine runs fine and spools fine, your banjo filter should be fine. I never checked mines and I'm at 77,000 miles but it still runs good and spools at 3500rpm, so I don't really care about it. Some people took it out at around 100,000 miles and say it was clean so as long as you change the oil and filter around 3000 miles, you'll be good with nothing to worry about. Another thing is to know are the rear wheel bearings, they love to go bad(growl or humming). I just had both mines replaced under the warranty which is 8 years or 80,000 miles. One last thing, warm up and cool down the engine for around 30 secs(don't shut it off right away like most cars)! Other then that its a good and reliable car.

Thanks guys! I did a lot of research before buying the car, and one of the reasons I got it was because of the reliability. I knew about the wheel bearings but did not know about the banjo bolts, so I will definitely have to keep an eye out for those. My car is still under the factory warranty by mileage (52,012 when I bought it on Tuesday), and I bought it from a pretty reputable dealer (Sommers in Mequon, WI) so getting parts replaced under warranty should *hopefully* be a pretty pain-free process. As far as the turbo goes, it's water cooled and does not need to be cooled down unless you have been hammering on the throttle just before shut-down, correct?

As far as the turbo goes, it's water cooled and does not need to be cooled down unless you have been hammering on the throttle just before shut-down, correct?

Correct, Subaru's water-cooled turbos don't need a turbo timer. The little coolant tank above the turbo is there so that hot coolant from the turbo can flow upwards and pull colder coolant from the tank back down to the turbo. The coolant will continue to flow through the turbo as long as the turbo is warm.

I still would give it a moment or two after driving it hard to cool a little, but you don't have to worry too much about it.

Archived