LegacyGT.com

Sti spring install on a 09 spec b. Quick question

lordhowe

Just got a set of JDM STi springs for my spec b and replacing my ralliteks. I did the fronts in an hour and the only question I have for the fronts is that the spring is a little loss after the top hat is completely tighten. Meaning that I can move the springs around on the strut if I try really hard. Of course this is when the strut is out of he car with out any compression. Is this normal? I made sure the top bolt is completely flush with the top of the piston rod. My guess is because the springs are shorter than the ralliteks.

My other question is that how does the rear spring sit? Does the black rubber coating sit close to the ground or faces up into the car? I'm guessing the first case, correct?

Thanks

others may need to chime in for the second opinions. we just did my spring installs so i will give you what we did. for the rears the rubber tophat goes to the top. line up the marks where the previous spring was "resting" with where the new spring will sit. for the fronts you shouldnt be able to turn it too much unless its not sitting correctly. if you turn it to a certain position does it settle and stop moving? you may need to rotate it and then make certain the top bolt is down to the right spec.

i am not sure if the jdm pinks are progressive or not. meaning i am not sure which is top/bottom of the spring.

Good info. How long did it take you guys in total? Thanks. Tom

Took me and another forum member (Impulse) around 6 or 7 hours. Taking our time, lunch break, etc. Really not too difficult, just time consuming like mainelydanks predicted.

The rest of my install thread/pics is here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5mt-wagon-pinks-5eat-sedani-117046.html?highlight=wagon+pinks+sedan

When I did my install, the rubber on the rear pinks was toward the ground:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/763/80346983.jpg

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1813/74894771.jpg

Which is the way it's suppose to be. The rubber "surround" is for the foot of the spring because it sets on the metal perch, whereas the rubber spring pad sets between the head of the spring and the spring so no need for additional rubber there.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

"Which is the way it's suppose to be. The rubber "surround" is for the foot of the spring because it sets on the metal perch, whereas the rubber spring pad sets between the head of the spring and the spring so no need for additional rubber there."

/\Yep,I've had pinks on all my performance subys and tht's the way I've done all my installs.

• 6 months later...

I also went from rallitek springs to pink springs (both on stock spec.b struts).

The improvement in handling is well worth the increase in price. The pinks also got rid of the little bit of bounce that the ralliteks have going fast over big bumps.

Pinks were my favorite spring on stock spec.b struts before i moved to coilovers.

which one shall i order?

1, STi Pink Springs Front/Rear (05+ Legacy GT MT) - STi-2038021000/ST-2033021010

2, STi Pink Springs Front/Rear (05+ Legacy GT B-Spec MT) - STi-2038021020/ST-2033021020

the reason i'm little bit confused, is because a post here (forgot where) suggestion JDM pink spring is too stiff for domestic bilstein, it's actually for JDM bilstein (spec.B). The regualer pink is for spec B here, not JDM Spec B. But now, which one is JDM pink and which one is not???

mark

STI markets these springs as follows:

STi Sport Springs - Front (BL=Sedan/BP=Wagon):

P/N: ST2033021000 (BL GT Auto; BP GT-B Auto)

P/N: ST2033021010 (BL GT Manual, GT-B Auto; BP GT Manual, GT-B Manual)

P/N: ST2033021020 (BL GT-B Manual)

STi Sport Springs - Rear (BL=Sedan/BP=Wagon):

P/N: ST2038021000 (BL GT, GT-B Auto/Manual)

P/N: ST2038021010 (BP GT Auto/Manual)

P/N: ST2038021020 (BP GT-B Auto/Manual)

So, for a USDM Legacy Spec B, you want:

Front: P/N: ST2033021020 (BL GT-B Manual)

Rear: P/N: ST2038021000 (BL GT-B Auto/Manual)

And FWIW - the JDM Rev A Spec B "Bilstein" is said to be much stiffer than the USDM Spec B (Essentially a JDM Rev C) Bilstein. The STI Pinks (properly matched to the chassis model/version) are not the cause of the stiffness

Rear: P/N: ST2038021000 (BL GT-B Auto/Manual)[quote]

ok, if i need xxxxx10 for the front and xxxxx00 for the rear, any vendor would sale them seperately like this?

thanks,

Rear: P/N: ST2038021000 (BL GT-B Auto/Manual)[quote]

ok, if i need xxxxx10 for the front and xxxxx00 for the rear, any vendor would sale them seperately like this?

thanks,

Believe you mean xxxxx20 for the front and xxxxx00 for the rear - yes they can be ordered individually by those part numbers. I know that EDO Performance had a group buy some time back and you could order whatever "mix" you wanted.

• 1 year later...

Archived