LegacyGT.com

Bolt up turbocharger upgrade - Vol-2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a sustancial difference in spool up time for the 16G vs the 18G?

Depends on the tune, but expect 300-400 rpm later spool with the 18g. The 16g is awesome. I regret selling mine at the moment :redface:.

Update : To be completely fair on the 16g/18g difference - I was unable to tune the car above 16psi (Cobb Tuning) because the wastegate on my new 18g started cracking open @ or below 5psi.

I spoke to Brain and he is sending me an upgraded actuator. (thank you Brian) I suspect an upgraded actuator will make a significant difference in the ability for the engine to build boost as well as sustain it.

Edited by KCwagon

I just got my 18g in the mail yesterday. Super quick shipping and the price was right. I do have the upgraded waste gate. @KCwagon were there any gotchas when you installed it? I ordered the IP&T oil supply lines. Also good to see another KC member around.

I just got my 18g in the mail yesterday. Super quick shipping and the price was right. I do have the upgraded waste gate. @KCwagon were there any gotchas when you installed it? I ordered the IP&T oil supply lines. Also good to see another KC member around.

It's pretty straight forward. Definitely use new gaskets for the up and down pipes, prime the turbo with lots of oil before you start the car, and be happy you bought the upgraded actuator :)

Let me know if you need a hand with the install. I am getting pretty good at it after doing a half dozen.

• I Donated
Subbed... On a fence between a BNR 16g and a VF52. Also lusting at the 18g. The deciding factor is how many additional mods to support the new turbo. The 16g/52 seems like the best option because I can still run stock fueling.

I love my Evo 16G. Can't wait to install it on my Spec.B. But quite honestly, I think both would meet your requirements. AFAIK they have very similar power potentials. One thing to consider: if it dies, Bryan can rebuild one of his Evo 16Gs for $400. If a VF52 dies, it's unrebuildable (although used ones are more common -- but they are still around $700 AFAIK). Also, I think VF52s are only warrantied in their stock application and if installed by a Subaru dealership. Bryan's warranty is considerably more generous (but check your OCVs and banjo bolt filters, and run a filtered oil line).

^only on the top end. Since the 16g is all about low to mid range unless you really wind your car up you'll likely not be missing much. Having said that I have a 16gBNR with 650cc inj on 93, and it does not drop off to redline. Not saying it pulls hard above 5k, just it doesnt fall flat like the vf40 did.

Edit: I've got plenty of head room with the 650's and a AVO pump. My clutch doesn't like it when I really start let the 16g shine. Day to day it's fine, but hard downshift or pull and I get the stink. I've got a new clutch masters set up to go in but few more projects to get through. I literally could get another 10k+ out of my stock clutch as long as I don't push the limit. I'm at 89k now, 30k on the BNR16g and infamous tune.

Edited by 05LGTLtd
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I love my Evo 16G. Can't wait to install it on my Spec.B. But quite honestly, I think both would meet your requirements. AFAIK they have very similar power potentials. One thing to consider: if it dies, Bryan can rebuild one of his Evo 16Gs for $400. If a VF52 dies, it's unrebuildable (although used ones are more common -- but they are still around $700 AFAIK). Also, I think VF52s are only warrantied in their stock application and if installed by a Subaru dealership. Bryan's warranty is considerably more generous (but check your OCVs and banjo bolt filters, and run a filtered oil line).

You can actually rebuild a VF52. I'm waiting on my lazyiness to ship my VF52 out for a rebuild right now.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

^only on the top end. Since the 16g is all about low to mid range unless you really wind your car up you'll likely not be missing much. Having said that I have a 16gBNR with 650cc inj on 93, and it does not drop off to redline. Not saying it pulls hard above 5k, just it doesnt fall flat like the vf40 did.

pump also?

What you're saying is pretty much exactly what I was thinking it would be.

Yes that's 93 pump. No E85 here, although I could gain some with the 650's with it. 750's + would be better choice if your going corn. I edited my last post, fyi.

When I went stage 2, third gear was my favorite. Power when wanted was easy in third. Stage 3 with 16g, and fourth gear is like that now. Third is awesome. Coming home I ran it up to 6k, and it was still pulling very nicely... The 16g is the jack of all trades, low mid, and high. I've got about every mod except headers and fmic: Cobb intake, inlet, avo tmic, injecters, x-pipe, up, Cobb dp, catback. In my book the 16g rocks. If you like turbo slingshot, then go bigger. If you want good power all over the place go 16g. My transmission is probably very happy that I can't get e85. YMMV... Edited by 05LGTLtd

Quick question for you guys that have experience with these turbos...

I'm looking at a mild upgrade to my '09 OBXT, however I want to stay very close to stock in terms of supporting mods. I figure I'm looking at a downpipe, a TMIC, TGV deletes, and a reflash to support a mild turbo upgrade. My goal would be 275-300 awhp with matching or better torque. I'm explicitly *not* planning on an intake or exhaust except for the downpipe, as I want the car to remain stock sounding. This is my daily driver and I just want it to be a bit more fun... plus I want to avoid trashing the clutch and gearbox with tons of power.

What do you think about the BNR TD05-18G for my goals? How would it compare to the vf52? (I ask because the vf52 is known to work with stock-like exhaust). How's the lag compared to the stock vf46 or the vf52? I would like stock-like (or better) lag of course, but I'm not sure the BNR EVO16g will get me to the power levels I'm shooting for considering the limitations of the stock intake/uppipe/cat-back that I'd like to keep. On the other hand, I'm happy to trade away top-end to avoid bad lag. Again, the car is a daily driver, so having little lag and smooth power delivery is more important than ultimate power or top-end.

What sort of fueling mods would I need to support this? Deatchwerks 650cc injectors and fuel pump? How far will the stock 560cc injectors and pump get me?

Any recommendations for specific parts? I just scored a deal on an AVO TMIC, so that's picked out, and I'm leaning towards the AVO downpipe and fuel pump, though they seem a little pricey, because they look like well made gear. I'm coming from an '02 WRX with and STi swap, so I'm not totally up on what's out there for the LGT/OBXT.

Thanks guys!

You want the 16g if your sticking to stock injectors. Skip the tgv delete. I did it, but it's money and a pain for not much gain.

I'm not limiting myself to stock injectors or fuel pump. I just wasn't going to upgrade them unless there's a need, simply because it's just one more thing to have to tune for. Is there no need for injectors on the 16g? What sort of power curve should I expect on the 16g vs the stock vf46, assuming just the downpipe and TMIC? All the dyno charts I'm finding tend to have more work done than I'm planning.

I guess, with all the other stock restrictions in the intake, and my low target power, the TGVs probably won't be worth much. I just figured they're relatively cheap (it's mostly just labor), and you can't tell they've been touched unless you've got a sharp eye.

Oh, and I'll be running 91 octane pump gas on this. Not interested in E85, or eventually going to E85. It's just too much of a PITA to get it where I live to bother on a daily driver.

Get the down pipe, tmic and a decent stage 2 tune. It will get you 90% of what you want. Then you can plan from there. If your tuning twice that's the way to do it. I'd never knock bryan's products, but learning the tune process if your getting an etune and enjoying a good stage 2 is a good stepping stone... Edited by 05LGTLtd

Is it possible to run an 18g on stock fueling if the tune is mild? Say 18psi? I don't mind a little lag, and I like the idea of giving myself some headroom if I want more power down the road.. which is inevitable. :lol: a FP will likely follow the turbo, but I don't plan to swap injectors for awhile. If not, it sounds like the 16g is my best bet.