LegacyGT.com

Is there a manual showing how to remove dash parts?

I can tell you how, done it a million times. Do you have a manual or auto? You need to remove the trim around the shifter first. When you get that off, there are four clips holding each cheesy panel on the side of the stereo. You can pull them off by hand, just support the back of the area of the clip with your hand while you pull it off. Of course don't pull too hard, or you will break the dash piece or clip. For the first time removing them they might be in there fairly good, just take your time. I can't remember in the 08 do they have an additional piece besides the ones on the side of stereo that may run by the glove box?

if you figure out how to remove the ones on the doors post it LOUDLY..

I looked at the idea of taking the BLANTANTLY fake wood trim on my 05 off and having it screen printed with a more.. bmwish woodgrain finish but since i could not buy replacement pieces on the doors w/o buying door panels I decided to can the idea. I do not do this kind of thing w/o replacing the pieces with new ones.

+1 vacation pix..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

shit no....Why did Subaru intergrate that stupid piece of woodgrain into the door panel. I took off the rear door panel just now and they melted it in. Did you find out how much new door panels cost??

I'd GUESS hundreds..

I cant say for sure.. and I dont know for sure that its glued on or if it just pops in and there's no separate part # on it.

I tried for a while to get audio installers to look when the took the panel off cos its a HUGE pain to do and I'm not doing it for this little thing heh.

you only have a little more trim.. and its better looking woodgrain.. ours is orange for crying out loud.. its like they werent even trying! lol. The diference is tho you can get silver with the black int. on ours but I think its woodgrain only on the newer models.

Want to take off your door panels? :lol:

if you lived closer.. IE ATL.. we could put our heads together on this but.. you're a bit far away up there..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

shit no....Why did Subaru intergrate that stupid piece of woodgrain into the door panel. I took off the rear door panel just now and they melted it in. Did you find out how much new door panels cost??

Its melted into the panel, no coming off. I called a dealer out west and the spec.b has the silver trim. front costs $278 one side, $284 other side, and rears are $209. The 2.5i SE has the same silver trim, and I assume the door panels are the same?? Those cost $269 front and $194 back.

MELTED?? omfg.. why in the world... *sigh*

got a heat gun? :lol:

thanks for the research, you must be more passionate about this than I was lol.

I know the 06/07s had the same interior 2.5i to GT.. infact it seems like the exclusivity of the luxury profile of the LGT as it was originally conceived in this generation of the car was lost in subsequent years to the lower models.

The best thing about the fake wood trim is it wears away. My 98gtb has it on the gear knob.. it'd got a big patch of plastic where the woodgrain wore off

I replaced it with a leather STi knob. :D

The shift knob has the wood on it, but I plan to replace it with an all black one from Japanparts.com

If I go through the trouble and take a knife to the doors just to get the plastic pieces off, I would instead paint the pieces a matching silver, and then a matte clear coat. I dont think black would match well.

Then I would take a heavy duty glue and put them back into place. I dont see why it wouldnt work....

its probablly 2 mount holes in the door panel with 2 peices pushing through those, those 2 peices are probably going to be where it's melted together.

so you will still have to remove the door panelk to get it if thats the case.

if you do get it out and it has a part # on it let me know :lol:

the woodgrain on the shifter is glued on. I had plans to buy another shifter knob and peel the woodgrain off, have it re-textured and then try and glue it back on. I'm sure some sort of standard adhesive for autos would work fine.

I think the total was around $400-600 after buying all new parts, coating them all etc.

Archived