LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

Searched but found nothing helpful.

Has anyone used the Axxess ASWC in an 08-09 with single-disc CD player? (The one that will not recognize stock SWC without modification)

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if the Spec B wheel that is currently available is the same as in the OP's original photos? The one with the split in the leather along the bottom 2/3 of the wheel? I currently have an 05 XT with the standard limited wheel from that year but don't particularly care for the line (or split) all the way around the bottom half of the wheel. I really like this mod and as soon I plan to do this along with installing an 07 p204uh head unit and SVXdc aux in cable really soon!

Hey guys I got a Question for you. Does anyone have pictures of the Connector that plugs into the Clockspring. Or can at least tell me What wires are in what order on the connector if you were looking at it plugged into the Clockspring. I know that spot 1 has the Horn what are the other 4? The reason I am asking is that I am doing a Swap to an 08 Steering wheel and am going to try and use the new audio controls instead of the Spec B ones.

Thanks for any help.

Which side of the clockspring -- stationary (at the steering column) or rotating (inside the wheel cover, behind the airbag)?

Did you see this earlier post?

Yes I did and having that info helps a bunch but what I need is a shot of the Green Connector from the SWC's. I need a picture of it plugged into the clock spring to show me where the Wires go where. I can figure it out myself when it comes to it but Always like to have a reference for myself. Or if someone can tell me just by looking at the Connector where the wires are. I know it is a 5pin connector the first wire from left to right is.....

1.Black(horn)2...........3...........4...........5...........?

I know there is a Blue and I believe a white wire. Witch slot do they go into. Of course I am looking to get all of the wires.

This should help -- pics of the inside (rotating part of the clockspring) on a 2005 LGT wheel.

These two pictures are particularly good:

#4 "wheel puller.jpg" (shows the white 3-pin cruise and green 5-pin horn harness plugs)

#6 "roll connector.jpg" (closer shot, with 3-pin harness unplugged)

Also see pictures of the green plug inside an LL Bean wheel cschneider posted here.

So this is apparently how harness B68 maps to the harnesses inside the wheel:

In Subaru's wiring diagrams, the drawings of connectors (at the bottom of each page) is viewing the front of the harness plug -- the pins side, with the wires pointed away from you out the back.

B68, viewing contact pins on car's harness plug, wires pointed away from you:

1 --- 2 3
4 5 6 7 8

In TSi+WRX's pictures, viewing the rears of the harness plugs, with their latches on top, pin 1 is at the far right. Looking at roll connector (side nearest driver):

ST3       ST2/4      (airbag)
-----    ---------    -------
3 2 1    5 4 3 2 1    4 3 2 1

So the horn wire is pin #5 on the green plug.

Caveat: I have not confirmed the following on an actual car. These tables are derived from the wiring diagrams and many pictures.

2005-2006 Models with no buttons on wheel:

wire  B68 >] ST1--wire  RC [< ST2  ST3  function
=========    =========  ==    ===  ===  ==========
W      1      1   Br                1   Cruise - Main Switch
(NC)   2      2   Sb           4        (NC)
RW     3      3   R            5        Horn switch (to metal ground)
LP     4      4   Gr                3   Cruise - 3 buttons
BL     5      5   B                 2   Cruise - common
(NC)   6      6   W            1        (NC)
(NC)   7      7   GR           2        (NC)
(NC)   8      8   BW           3        (NC)

2005-2006 Models with AT SHIFT buttons:

wire  B68 >] ST1--wire  RC [< ST4  ST3  function
VW     2      2   Sb           4        Shift Up
(NC)   6      6   W            1        (NC)
L      7      7   GR           2        Shift Down
BY     8      8   BW           3        Shift - common

2005-2006 Models with Audio SWC buttons:

wire  B68 >] ST1--wire  RC [< ST2  ST3  function
V      2      2   Sb           4        SWC illumination +
OrW    6      6   W            1        SWC common (grounded inside HU)
VW     7      7   GR           2        SWC +
BW     8      8   BW           3        SWC illumination - (analog dimming)

Key:

• "wire B68" -- colors of factory wires going into harness plug B68 (behind the wheel, under the steering column)
  • ">]" -- plug ">" and socket "]"
  • "ST1 wire" -- colors of factory wires going from socket ST1 into rear (non-rotating side) of roll connector
  • RC -- roll connector
  • ST2 or ST4 -- 5-pin connector on front (spinning side) of roll connector
  • ST3 -- 3-pin connector on front of RC
  • (NC) -- no factory wire or pin in this slot

Those tables do not show the wires on the harnesses leading to the cruise and SWC button pods. Subaru's diagrams don't document those wire colors.

On the 2007 diagrams, both the 3-pin and 5-pin plugs are designated "ST3". I'm guessing the 5-pin is a typo.

Other changes in 2007: Apparently no more shift buttons on the wheel? Illumination(-) is now PWM (for LEDs) instead of a variable analog voltage.

2008 is when Subaru changed to cruise buttons on the right spoke and all 6 SWC buttons on the left. Inside the wheel there is now a single 8-pin connector, ST3 (with all of the wires for horn, cruise, and SWCs).

2008-up cars that shipped without SWCs are pre-wired (the connections run from the wheel all the way to the HU). See links for procedure for 2008-2009 here.

AkumaMax, I recommend you start a new thread for your 2008 wheel transplant mod (to keep trabbic's thread about simply swapping in the older-style audio SWC buttons). Edited by SVXdc

Yes I will be for sure. I just wanted to know what wires are where. I thank you for your input on this since I am familiar with wires just have no idea how to read a wiring diagram.

ST2/4 ---------

5 4 3 2 1 This is the only one I need. Thanks so much for the help

• 2 weeks later...

so, just swapping controls provides illumination-but that is all

trying to cut the right wires now

IMG_0275.thumb.JPG.190f3a1026a9fbcc90390151f9591714.JPG

IMG_0276.thumb.JPG.a7f17ff4c4d22913bb5ff7ea88552a37.JPG

IMG_0277.thumb.JPG.c4f67653e8cf8a7f9ab41e7eb67ea9d1.JPG

IMG_0278.thumb.JPG.b2efc8d7fe8abdb1dcd7ff458fe2716f.JPG

Edited by SCASEYS

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Ok some notes for those of you that want to swap out your 5EAT shift buttons to radio buttons:

First, it is very easy to do and will not cause a transmission problem or check engine (or tranny) light to come on. But you are responsible for any work... not me.

After you have taken out the shift buttons and put in the radio buttons you only need to do some minor wiring work that is different than those who have no wires.

You will need to cut the #2 wire (Violet/White) and the #7 wire (Blue) on the B68 Harness. (Keep them long enough on both sides so if you want to change it back you can.)

Note: DO NOT CUT ANY OF THE WIRES AT THE RADIO ONLY TAP (SPLICE) THEM.

Then you will need to tap (splice) these two wires with two wires long enough to go from the B68 harness to the back of the radio when it is pulled out. (Follow the steps in the above posts)

Note: AGAIN DO NOT CUT ANY OF THE WIRES AT THE RADIO ONLY TAP (SPLICE) THEM.

Then you will need to add a wire for #6 Orange/White at the B68 Harness and tap (splice) it into the orange/white wire on back of the radio like the above posts state.

You will not need to add a ground wire... yours in already there.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

After looking at the wiring and the B68 Harness I would have to say no useless you are willing to add an extra wiring slot with pins and change or somehow add another roll connector.
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

Well....its done! I got my wheel in last week, put it on and drove around with non-functioning buttons for a few days. Yesterday, I tore into the wiring and got everything working! If it wasn't for trabbic's awesome original post and SVXdc's help with the i85 wiring adapter for my 07 p204uh I'd still have the stock 05 setup in my OBXT. This is probably the coolest mod I've ever done to one of my vehicles!

i have this, I cut 2 and 7 on radio side of harness

tapped the OW, VW from radio to wheel side

I need to add a 3rd wire to 6?

no 6 on wheel side-blank

Just add a wire to slot 6 and cut 2 and 7 and splice into the radio.

As for a mod, I rank this right next to my folding backseat conversion as number 1 mod.

Remember I said NOT to cut any wires at the radio only tap into them. Wires I was talking about are the factory wires going into harness plug B68 (behind the wheel, under the steering column).

See SVXdc's post on color coded wires 12 posts back.

Also if you car doesn't start undo what you did and check the fuses.

And I did this on a 5EAT not a 4EAT.

I am going to take a picture of the B68 plug for you...

Edited by SATSFYD
added "12"

When I post the picture I think it will help you out... sorry I haven't taken it yet. I will see if I can make time today to take apart the lower section and take a picture of the B 86 harness today. Stand by...

Here is a picture of the wiring of the B86. The wires spliced are on the side going away from the steering wheel. Hope this makes it more clear.

DO NOT TOUCH ANY BLACK WIRES!!! THEY ARE GROUNDS!!!

NOTE: Wires that are spliced were cut first to disconnect from the TCU (Transmission Control Unit).

wiring.thumb.jpg.f33d9717ec97b00898e1329fe2cfc126.jpg

Edited by SATSFYD
added information.

Anyone wired a GR ( 2008+) STI steering wheel?

I've put mine in, wired the illumination, only the seek works..

2 wires for the audi, blue and white. maybe the resistance aren't the same?

Anyone wired a GR ( 2008+) STI steering wheel?

I've put mine in, wired the illumination, only the seek works..

2 wires for the audi, blue and white. maybe the resistance aren't the same?

Are you still running an 05 head unit if so the 08 might not work with it. If it's an 07+ HU like a P204UH then all should be good once you wire it up properly.

I'll be doing this sometime this month once my SWC controls come in for my 08 steering wheel.

If you are up to do it before myself here is a list of what wires are what

08 Harness wire colors:

Red: 12v Illumination

Black: Ground for lights

Yellow: Cruise On/Off

Brown: Ground

Green: Cancel, Set/coast, and Res/accel

White: Audio signal

Blue: Audio ground

If this wiring doesn't do the trick there is a possibility it is the other SWC. They make one for Panasonic and one Kenwood. Since it is an STI it might be for Kenwood.

Edited by AkumaMax

Has anyone notice that if you are driving in your car for more than 30 mins that the buttons stop working until you turn the car off for a bit?