LegacyGT.com

Extreme Turbo Systems: Exhaust Manifold W/ External Wastegate

Car was dropped off yesterday at ETS down in Vancouver, WA. They will be keeping it for about 4 weeks. I'm getting a custom exhaust manifold with external waste gate. I'm going to see if they can take some pics as the R&D unfolds. I'm fairly certain this will be a product they will offer for the Legacy and 2015 Wrx. Given their craftsmanship and track record, i'm pretty excited for the finished product.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Lol, its a military saying. I have no clue as to why they did two instead of one.

because it's twin scroll...

Properly utilizing one gate means keeping the exhaust flow separated right up to the face of the wastegate valve, which means a ton more complexity and time in the fabrication of the gate.

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff

Twinscroll is designed to isolate exhaust pulses. Isolated exhaust pulses with proper cylinder pairing allow you to get high backpressure at low rpm and low backpressure at high rpm. The fast spooling is a byproduct of this, as is the ability to run massive cams and massive a/r turbine housings for big top end, yet keep great spool and response very quick.

for twinscroll, (2) separate wastegate paths spools faster and gains lowend-midrange power over (1) WG. it is that simple.

If you take apart any modern OEM twinscroll turbo (like a stock evo 8/9 turbo, and i hope the avo is designed this way) there is actually dual internal wastegates. this is done to keep the pulses entirely separate and prevent "bleed-thru" of pressure to the opposing scroll and interfering cylinders. Of course you can run (1) WG and divide the path, and while that still comes close, it isn't 100%

This is what would need to be done to use one gate.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w160/Bigrigger78/FRuppipe.jpg

Archived